Wasp Portraits

Great shots as per, really like no 2, the green background finishes the photo off nicely

Hi Graham.

Great shots! 2 questions...

Was the wasp alive???

How many tubes were you using and what was the crop (if any?). Looks to be about 3:1 (assuming the crop isn't huge)???

I'm interested because I really want to get the 105mm VR again - been looking at 105's and 180's...

Cheers,
Phil.

Great shots!

Thanks Phil!

Was the wasp alive???

Most definitely! These are actually three separate wasps (which you can confirm by looking at their markings) - #1 was VERY lethargic due to drop in temp and I was able to pick it up on a leaf and take some pics on a table, but #2 and #3 were both "in the wild".

Hi Graham.
How many tubes were you using and what was the crop (if any?). Looks to be about 3:1 (assuming the crop isn't huge)???

I can't remember for sure if #1 was with my 36mm extension tube on or not, but I think it was - #2 and #3 were definitely lens only. The lens was set to 1:1 and I'd say they were cropped quite substantially. The wasp certainly did not fill the frame!

I can't sing this 105mm VR lens' praises enough. I really do like it a lot. Paired with a D800 it allows me to crop quite substantially while retaining loads of detail. Obviously I am cropping for effect and not because I couldn't frame it correctly - a wasp is too small to get this type of shot straight from the camera without using extension tubes.

As an example, the below is #3 but straight out of the camera - no PP at all except for the addition of a watermark at bottom-right.

Click the image below to view on Flickr...

gbmphoto said:
Thanks Phil!

Most definitely! These are actually three separate wasps (which you can confirm by looking at their markings) - #1 was VERY lethargic due to drop in temp and I was able to pick it up on a leaf and take some pics on a table, but #2 and #3 were both "in the wild".

I can't remember for sure if #1 was with my 36mm extension tube on or not, but I think it was - #2 and #3 were definitely lens only. The lens was set to 1:1 and I'd say they were cropped quite substantially. The wasp certainly did not fill the frame!

I can't sing this 105mm VR lens' praises enough. I really do like it a lot. Paired with a D800 it allows me to crop quite substantially while retaining loads of detail. Obviously I am cropping for effect and not because I couldn't frame it correctly - a wasp is too small to get this type of shot straight from the camera without using extension tubes.

As an example, the below is #3 but straight out of the camera - no PP at all except for the addition of a watermark at bottom-right.

Click the image below to view on Flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61929034@N05/8209250718/

That is amazing detail from lens only!

What was the image size after cropping???

That is amazing detail from lens only!

What was the image size after cropping???

Aaaah... but that D800 of mine adds a lot to the party ;)

The image before cropping was a 13.8MB JPG (exported from RAW) at 7360 x 4912 pixels.

After cropping it is a 846KB JPG at 1493 x 997 pixels.

gbmphoto said:
Aaaah... but that D800 of mine adds a lot to the party ;)

The image before cropping was a 13.8MB JPG (exported from RAW) at 7360 x 4912 pixels.

After cropping it is a 846KB JPG at 1493 x 997 pixels.

Thought as much...when so, with a ring or TC that could squirrel easily come out large enough for a big print after cropping.

D800 is a monster for macro!

Well done on the shots again and thanks for the info.

Back