Wasps nest

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I'm a little hesitant to post in here but here goes...

There's a large wasp's nest in the garden at the moment so I set up about 6 feet away and shot away with the top end of a 80-400 VR lens handheld. The lighting wasn't enough (being sunset) so I grabbed my SB-800 speedlight and bounced it into a piece of white card next to the entrance to the nest (and then ran away again!). So these shots were shot at f8-f11 with a fast shutter sync to reduce any extraneous blurring due to camera shake or the wasps' movements, using wireless i-TTL flash controlled from the D7000. The focus was manually set to just in front of the nest entrance

Both final images (set here) were then composites of the best frames from about 180 pictures in CS2 and developed/finished in Lightroom, I think I had about 8 decent shots. Here's a couple, the second is an almost 100% crop:

waspsnest_changeover.jpg

waspsnest_carrying_5.jpg

Very nice, good work!

It's a great shot :) it's nice to see so many wasps photographed in flight, it's going to take a while for me to get something similar with Macro.

Braver than me Andy. Good PS work too.
Jim

C'mon he was 6ft away :p

It's a great shot :) it's nice to see so many wasps photographed in flight, it's going to take a while for me to get something similar with Macro.

C'mon he was 6ft away :p

You're right, I'm a wuss when it comes to wasps! I was considering putting the macro lens on, setting up the camera on a table top tripod in front of the hole and using tethered shooting in Lightroom from my laptop, but I'd lose the context which is so important to the shot, quite apart from the difficulty focussing manually!

You're right, I'm a wuss when it comes to wasps! I was considering putting the macro lens on, setting up the camera on a table top tripod in front of the hole and using tethered shooting in Lightroom from my laptop, but I'd lose the context which is so important to the shot, quite apart from the difficulty focussing manually!

With a raynox on my macro I need to get the wasp within 2inches of the lens :) it's a hit and run operation.

I'm glad no one watches me!

First off welcome to the forum...:woot:

Second great shots and as soon as i even spotted just half the shot the flight of the valkyries jumped in my head.... Superb stuff...(y)

Wow

Back