Water drop play

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Some first results from my new StopShot toy.

MG_7692.jpg

MG_7902.jpg

I think this last one is like a grabbing hand.

MG_7937.jpg

:)

lovely shots
what kit do you use to get these shots

Thanks - I used the cognysis stopshot for these.

Like those, Chis. A about to test some with the Laowo UM.

Thanks Dunc - have fun with them.

I like those a lot. I love the shapes in all of them. The first one looks a smidgen light to me and the last one a smidgen dark, but that is nit picking/personal preference. The second one looks perfect to me in brightness, colours and wonderful shapes. Nicely done with all of these.

I agree about the first - in that is was one of the first of the shots in the day. Had the flashes set wrong for my tastes. The last I darkened in PP as it was taken in same settings as second. I did that to make the "Hand" look more sinister to me.

These look great - though could be a <lot> sharper if at a slightly higher shutterspeed - BUT I do love these and the background adds loads to the droplets (y) (y) I look forward to seeing more from your new setup!!

These look great - though could be a <lot> sharper if at a slightly higher shutterspeed - BUT I do love these and the background adds loads to the droplets (y) (y) I look forward to seeing more from your new setup!!

I am interested in your comment about the shutter speed needing to be higher, is it not the flash duration that would freeze the water drops? or is there something that I am missing? (very likely).

#2 my pick
…though the colours are not an asset, IMO.

I was under the impression it was normally flash duration, although maybe your shutter/ISO/aperture is allowing some ambient light to soften them?

Very nice, like these type of shot. I looked at purchasing that setup, but it's a lot of money and I'm not sure I'd use it much. A friend is looking at making me somthing similar on the cheap. Look forward to seeing more.

These are a good start! I used to do a lot of these so here are a few tips ;)
Shutter speed is totally irrelevant in high speed photography such as this. You do need to make sure that ambient light is low enough not to register though. This is easily checked by setting everything up and then switching off the flashes. Take a shot, it should be a black frame. Next turn on your flash set up and adjust the power to give you a correctly exposed image. The sharpest images will be when your flashes are set to as low a power sting as possible, 1/16 or lower is good. Adjust the iso if needed to achieve this.
Personally I like a clean background. I've used plain coloured cards but found the best result is to use a softbox as the BG. You can gel the flash to change the colour of this.
Focus. I used to lay a kebab skewer over the tray where the water would hit and manually focus on this.
Processing. Standard stuff - contrast, levels and a good degree of sharpening all help.

Here's an example. iso200 f16 1sec back lit with gelled flash in softbox at 1/32 power.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48336357@N07/6351752334/in/album-72157628018818891/

Look forward to seeing more!

I like the second the best but tbh the colours are a bit busy for me.

I am interested in your comment about the shutter speed needing to be higher, is it not the flash duration that would freeze the water drops? or is there something that I am missing? (very likely).
Do you have high-speed flash setting? If so, you could enable that, set shutter speed to 1/1000th and it should be no blur - the one's you posted only have a <little> blur so doesn't seem far off though if its a standard flash then probably shot at 160-250th? Flash has "frozen" it, but water is moving very fast perhaps too much ambient light hence there is a little blur in there?

The background is a big distraction to me and these would be far better with a plain one, IMHO. Other than that a good 1st try.

Nice work but I can only echo what's been said in regards T the background, a tad distracting mate.

Do you have high-speed flash setting? If so, you could enable that, set shutter speed to 1/1000th and it should be no blur - the one's you posted only have a <little> blur so doesn't seem far off though if its a standard flash then probably shot at 160-250th? Flash has "frozen" it, but water is moving very fast perhaps too much ambient light hence there is a little blur in there?

Thanks for that, I am not the O.P but I guess if the ambient light was much lower the only light would be from the very short duration of the flash exposure and the water would be frozen and hence sharp

Back