Water fun

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
I'd like some feedback on this shot please as it took a while to perfect as I had to use manual focus using my 150mm macro lens. Bounced a flash which was offset off of the ceiling on top of the water to avoid reflections and it looks like I got rid of most of them.

Splish Splash by jjohnson2012, on Flickr

Thoughts?

I have to go along with Matt. The DoF is off. You might have got away with it if the focus point was nearer the front of the crown.

I tried this a couple of months ago thinking it would be easy.... 150 frames later and I didn't get any I was happy to share!! It's far harder than it looks.

I'll get back to have another go as soon as I get a chance. Practice and experimenting... get back to it and play. Get more light, increase Dof, and post the results. Looking forward to your next posts (y)

It's a shame but the focus is too far to the rear. That combined with f7.1 is causing your problems. A few simple tweaks will help;) Try these settings: iso100-400, f16, 1/200. Most importantly though is to get the flash off camera and in manual mode. A simple change to your set up would be to get a reflector behind the bowl and fire the flash into it.
Ash has a good tutorial in the technique section on water drop collisions, most is relevent to crowns and spikes too!
HTH

Thanks for the input guys. I've got an off camera flash setup so I'll have another go when I get chance. Didn't realise I'd have to use such a small aperture though lol. I'm too use to shooting wide open!

Back