Waterfall jumping nutters!

Whats the problem here guys, a group of outdoor adventure seeking kayakers got into a spot of bother and one got injured necessatating rescue by Helicopter.

Accidents happen, just be thankful these guys (chopper rescue) exist, who knows for tomorrow your son who is pot holing might just get trapped and need rescuing by the same chaps, would you then critisise potholers as nutters.

Whats the problem here guys, a group of outdoor adventure seeking kayakers got into a spot of bother and one got injured necessatating rescue by Helicopter.

Accidents happen, just be thankful these guys (chopper rescue) exist, who knows for tomorrow your son who is pot holing might just get trapped and need rescuing by the same chaps, would you then critisise potholers as nutters.

Ok I have kept out of this arguement because I never intended to make one but you have just made out that me using the word "nutters" was a critisism. I have already said once that I used the term in a tongue in cheek manner.

Anything verging on the edge of extreme sports I consider nutters. Some would say that when I walk a knife edge arete on a mountain with sheer drops either side of me that I am a nutter and have indeed said. I don't take offence. I just laugh.

And yes pot holers are nutters too!

Calm down guys!

This is getting a bit out of hand.

Siejones i wasn't aiming my comment directly at you and to be honest i'd actually forgot you were the OP, i said whats the problem "guys" which is in the plural meaning more than 1

FWIW i wouldn't consider anyone calling me a nutter to be critical of me.

Last edited:
you have just made out that me using the word "nutters" was a critisism. I have already said once that I used the term in a tongue in cheek manner.

Any of what I said above was not aimed at you siej.
Purely penguin!

Sie - I think your use of the word nutter was correct - anyone who goes out on these cold, winter days instead of sitting at home in front of a nice warm fire drinking something hot is nuts. Be it kayaking, fishing or photography. Many of us photographers will go out to pursue our hobby in conditions that others would consider nuts but when they are right for us :)

Welcome to the new members but please remember, each community has its individuals and those who frequent them come to know the idiosyncrasies of those individual members over time whereas new members will just read exactly what is written and may take it purely at face value - which is so easy to do with the written word when there are no expressions to help.

So I am not allowed to have an opinion without getting slagged off,Welcome to TP

Of course you are but I'd find this more abuse than anything else. Calling them crazy or nutter maybe, but pillocks?

"Pilock = U.K. an offensive term that deliberately insults somebody's intelligence"

Anyways I'll leave this thread go as I've aired my opinion ;).

Ystradfellte is great for photos - ive only seen it in the summer when green though - looks like there maybe enough water to make it worth a winter trip too.
Ive seen "canyoning" there before - nutters in wetsuits jumping into freezing cold water and photographed those. Never seen kayaks.

The rescue helicopter pictures are superb - especially with the blowing leaves. Where you following the kayaks or just happened to be in the right place at right time?

Helicopter would have been Rescue 169 out of Chivenor, im sure they'd like to see that picture too.

It was probably the Central Beacons MRT that attended too (http://www.cbmrt.org.uk).

Im dubious on the debate about people deliberately doing things relying on them as where do you draw the line? Do you call someone walking in that area on the paths that trips on a rock and breaks a limb an idiot for being there? What about someone that ventures a bit off the path onto rougher terrain and does the same? Or the next step someone that climbs down a short steep bit of bank that slips?

I cant really see any clear dividing line between acceptable and ****-taking use. I quite like the current situation that if you have an accident of any sort there are teams and services that can and will do all they can to assist.

Last edited:
I would just like to add, Great photos of both the helo and the kayakers. I hope you around the next time I'm doing a drop.

Ystradfellte is great for photos - ive only seen it in the summer when green though - looks like there maybe enough water to make it worth a winter trip too.
Ive seen "canyoning" there before - nutters in wetsuits jumping into freezing cold water and photographed those. Never seen kayaks.

The rescue helicopter pictures are superb - especially with the blowing leaves. Where you following the kayaks or just happened to be in the right place at right time?

Helicopter would have been Rescue 169 out of Chivenor, im sure they'd like to see that picture too.

It was probably the Central Beacons MRT that attended too (http://www.cbmrt.org.uk).

Im dubious on the debate about people deliberately doing things relying on them as where do you draw the line? Do you call someone walking in that area on the paths that trips on a rock and breaks a limb an idiot for being there? What about someone that ventures a bit off the path onto rougher terrain and does the same? Or the next step someone that climbs down a short steep bit of bank that slips?

I cant really see any clear dividing line between acceptable and ****-taking use. I quite like the current situation that if you have an accident of any sort there are teams and services that can and will do all they can to assist.

Thanks for the heads up :)

I went for the waterfalls but was treated to a show ;)

I would just like to add, Great photos of both the helo and the kayakers. I hope you around the next time I'm doing a drop.

Hi

I hope I am there too ;)

Back