drama deeper in the scene. Maybe a 4x5 crop that would include
the top down to include the eyelet?

Last edited:

…love your takes! (y)
The FG though, Andrew, in the first does nothing for the powerful
drama deeper in the scene. Maybe a 4x5 crop that would include
the top down to include the eyelet?

Thank you Kodiak :)

I've just got back from Cornwall and in particular Godrevy - your image of the lighthouse is simply stunning and captures how wonderful that place is - I've been trying to capture it in one image for nigh on 10 years now and have failed every time :(

Dare I ask, was there much post processing in your shot ?

I've just got back from Cornwall and in particular Godrevy - your image of the lighthouse is simply stunning and captures how wonderful that place is - I've been trying to capture it in one image for nigh on 10 years now and have failed every time :(

Dare I ask, was there much post processing in your shot ?

Thanks Gobind! It really is a stunning place. I'm glad you like the image. The processing was quite standard really.. I mainly just adjusted the highlights/shadows, white/black, a little contrast and just a hair of vibrance and sharpening. I have quite a few images from this viewpoint which I haven't fully looked at yet so I may find a better one, although the wave colour is why I chose this one.

Thanks Gobind! It really is a stunning place. I'm glad you like the image. The processing was quite standard really.. I mainly just adjusted the highlights/shadows, white/black, a little contrast and just a hair of vibrance and sharpening. I have quite a few images from this viewpoint which I haven't fully looked at yet so I may find a better one, although the wave colour is why I chose this one.
You've inspired me to try harder next time i'm there ;)

This was the only shot I really got worthy of note in Newquay on Friday:

Beach Hut Waves by Gobind Rai, on Flickr

Nice set, very partial to the Porth Nanven sunset.

Hiya, looks like you had a lovely time!

I agree with Kodiak, the first is my favourite but I'd be tempted to cut most of that foreground out as the interest sits in the lovely bright spray and the dramatic sky in the background. The rock and eyelet add little and reduce the impact of the gorgeous menacing sky!

That area is stunning in so many ways, you've got some lovely images that make me want to go back there soon!

Attractive set. Three is my favourite...very nice. A couple of years ago the shot you took at Porth Nancen appeared in a photo magazine and I tried to replicate it but hadn't considered the time of year,tide etc. I went over those rocks and whilst getting back up wished I hadn't. My wife watched with consternation. I was carrying a tripod too. Whilst standing back up on the road level I looked down to the water's edge and saw a stoat..someone said a mink..chase and catch a rat across the rocks, they had a tussle in gorse by the stream opposite and out of my sight. I think it was 1-0 to the stoat or whatever it was.

We'l be back down there in June.

Back