wearing lens rings

Edit My Images
Yes
Is it just me..... or has anyone else found that the metal ring attachment on canon L lenses wears there for come off the camera the pin on the camera wears away the hole on the lens?:thinking:
My 100-400 has worn and I have just noticed the 70 -200 is also doing it they where both jessops bought not cheap imports.

I'm really sorry to be picky but the first bit doesn't make sense as one whole sentence :wacky: I've read and re read it to no avail.

Is it just me..... or has anyone else found that the metal ring attachment on canon L lenses wears there for come off the camera the pin on the camera wears away the hole on the lens?:thinking:
My 100-400 has worn and I have just noticed the 70 -200 is also doing it they where both jessops bought not cheap imports.

this isnt helpful to your original comment, but aren't all canon lens made in japan? if thats true, then does it matter whether it came to the UK direct from Japan, or from Japan then HK/China/USA and finally UK?

edit: I clicked into the thread thinking there's this magic new contraption that allows you to attach a lens to your finger through a lens ring that you wear. I could carry 10 lens with me and the computrekker can be done away with! :D

Is it just me or has anyone else found that the metal ring attachment on canon L series lenses wears and, therefore, comes off the camera. The pin on the camera seems to wear away the hole on the lens.

My 100-400 has worn like this and I've just noticed that my 70 -200 is doing the same thing. Both these lenses were bought from Jessops and are not cheap imports.

HTH :)

**COMMENT REMOVED**

Please think how your comments might be received by other people before posting

Ooops, sorry. No offence intended. Just a little friendly banter.

The punctuation police are alive and well it seems.
In truth, a little , . ; : does help the flow...
As to what the OP actually meant, only he can tell...
As he says "comes off the camera," I can only assume he means the lens mount and not, as I'd originally thought, the tripod ring.
Never had the problem myself and my 70-200, 100-400 & 17-40 have all had a good hammering.

sorry its quite tricky to explain -whats happening is when I attach my len to my camera, it does not always stay attached - they separate with out pushing the button on the left to release it. the hole that the pin goes in to stop the lens coming of the camera has worn, and i wondered if anyone else has had this problem
is that better?

Sounds like you mean the lens mount. They can be replaced relatively inexpensively but they shouldn't wear out that much without being bashed around quite a bit

The punctuation police are alive and well it seems.
In truth, a little , . ; : does help the flow...
As to what the OP actually meant, only he can tell...
As he says "comes off the camera," I can only assume he means the lens mount and not, as I'd originally thought, the tripod ring.
Never had the problem myself and my 70-200, 100-400 & 17-40 have all had a good hammering.

The puntation police aren't about. I am dyslexic (surface dyslexia) and have to have help reading stuff. I have to read stuff over until I understand it. And his post - I still didn't understand.

The puntation police aren't about. I am dyslexic (surface dyslexia) and have to have help reading stuff. I have to read stuff over until I understand it. And his post - I still didn't understand.

I take your point entirely and, if you read my response in the context that was intended, you will see that my remarks were somewhat tongue in cheek.
There was no slur, implicit or implied, in my original comments.

So to summarise, the retractable pin in the camera-body that locks the lens in place has worn down to the extent that lenses no longer stay attached?

Take it to the shop and get it replaced...Shouldn't be too pricey - a simple mechanical component...

I can't see how it could have worn down so much though. Both parts on my system are metal.
I am right in assuming that you are turning the lens until it clicks into place? (my camera is still an audible click quite some distance from the camera).
Also, as the lenses (well, I only have real experience of the 100-400), are very heavy lenses, I assume that you are not carrying the weight of the camera on the lens mount. i.e. you are not carrying the camera from the camera, but rather from the lens?

It's not un-heard of for the pin in the camera body (which would normally locate into the hole in the mounting ring of the lens) to stick in the release position (lowered) - usually caused by a build up of dirt. I would make sure that hasn't happened before you do anything else.

thanks cold penguine, yes I always hold the lens, not the camera.
to clarify, It is not the pin that is worn it is the hole that the pin goes in to that has worn.
I too am dyslexic hence the poor wording, i was just wondering if any one else had had this problem.

OK got that - so the hole in the lens mounting ring has become enlarged somehow, meaning the locating pin now slips out of it?

Sounds like something that might occur if someone repeatedly attempted to remove the lens without depressing the lens release button fully - are the edges of the 'hole' in the lens-mount worn and are there long scratches on the surface of the inner ring that could be cause by the pin not being fully retracted?

Back