Wedding Albums

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone!

I did number of wedding during the summer and now I am working on the albums.
Do you like doing the wedding albums? Do you do them yourself? Would you prefer to pay someone to do them for you?

I personally hate doing them I feel like I am wasting my time.
On the other hand I don’t want to upload my photos to some website that the computer will do the album automatically.

How do you do your albums?
Would love some advice,

Thanks!

I use Fundy software and order through Graphi Studio. Makes wedding albums really quick and easy.

I need to get Fundy - that Graphi Software isn't great.

Also, if the OP feels like they're wating their time designing the album layout I believe Graphi can do that for you at an extra cost too. Maybe other album providers do too.

Thanks, I will look that up.

Would you pay for someone to do it for you?
How much is a reasonable price?
Do you think all photographer do their own albums?

Thanks, I will look that up.

Would you pay for someone to do it for you?
How much is a reasonable price?
Do you think all photographer do their own albums?

Prices vary from company to company. What is reasonable to one person might not be to another. I think the majority of wedding photographers prefer to have control over how their images are displayed.

Forgive my cynicism, but you're not thinking about starting a business offering to design wedding albums by any chance are you?

Not at all!!! exactly the opposite! I am looking for someone to do the albums for me.
But like you said I do want to have control of the album that's why I don't like all these big companies that will do it without being involved.
Do you think there are people that design albums, I mean not computers...
I have been looking in the internet, couldn't realy find anything

Not at all!!! exactly the opposite! I am looking for someone to do the albums for me.
But like you said I do want to have control of the album that's why I don't like all these big companies that will do it without being involved.
Do you think there are people that design albums, I mean not computers...
I have been looking in the internet, couldn't realy find anything

I think the closest you'd get would be to hire a graphic designer and work alongside them to produce something you're happy with.

At the end of the day though I think you either do it yourself or let someone else do it. If you're going to want creative input after handing the project over to someone else then you might as well do it yourself.

I see what you're saying about them being time consuming but that's why the price mark-up is there :)

I think the closest you'd get would be to hire a graphic designer and work alongside them to produce something you're happy with.
That's exactly what I do...well maybe not exactly, I live with a graphic designer so I don't have to pay for her services. ;-)

I'm happy enough with Graphi's software as I find it quick enough and I like simple layouts rather than lots of blended images as some others prefer. Your clients will like what you offer them or they won't book you, so show what you like or find most comfortable to do

I'm not offering it as a service, but if I was approached with the right offer then yes I'd be happy to design albums for other people as I actually enjoy it !!! Weird eh lol

Here's one of my last ones, the couple specifically wanted 'clean & simple' as their design http://www.davidgoodierphotography.co.uk/mark-victoria/

Dave

Forgive my cynicism, but you're not thinking about starting a business offering to design wedding albums by any chance are you?

Hi, sorry but What do you mean?
If I want to start a business like that I don't have a chance?
Isn't there photographers who would appreciate service like that?
Do you think I should reconsider?

Hi, sorry but What do you mean?
If I want to start a business like that I don't have a chance?
Isn't there photographers who would appreciate service like that?
Do you think I should reconsider?

The quote function makes it an awful lots easier to follow the thread.

I'd say that while many photographers would appreciate it, competing with the album companies who provide the service would be tricky

Yes for some reason the quote didn't work as I expected.

I am thinking to offer only design service without printing.
From the research I made those companies charge a lot of money.
And if I will have a reasonably price. Do you think photographers would hire my service?

Yes for some reason the quote didn't work as I expected.

I am thinking to offer only design service without printing.
From the research I made those companies charge a lot of money.
And if I will have a reasonably price. Do you think photographers would hire my service?

what do you mean by a lot of money?. Most design companies offer it in the £free to £75 range.

I think competing on price is a bit of a bad plan. Its hard to see how you'd go more reasonable. What about quality?

All the gig album companies offer a design service (Loxley, Graphi, Queensburry, Asukabook etc), these are done manually not by computer. Most are physically done "offshore" already as it is not cost effective to do it for what the lab charges in house.
I know Loxley do not make anything on this service, they pay the offshore company what they charge the client.

I was thinking an average 24 pages album will take me about 6 hours. An hour work is £10. That makes £60 an album.
This is just for the design, the printing will do through those big companies like blurp or Loxley with their printing prices.
Would you photographers pay £120 including everything for an album?

All the gig album companies offer a design service (Loxley, Graphi, Queensburry, Asukabook etc), these are done manually not by computer. Most are physically done "offshore" already as it is not cost effective to do it for what the lab charges in house.
I know Loxley do not make anything on this service, they pay the offshore company what they charge the client.

Thanks I guess I need to check those out and think about it again

Andrew75, when you'll be ready to take jobs - call me!

Depends very much. My printers charge £75 for this. What do you offer for the extra £45
What do you mean your printers?
I was thinking of charging £60 for my design and the photographer will pay for the printing which may be additional £60 depend on the album of course

What do you mean your printers?
I was thinking of charging £60 for my design and the photographer will pay for the printing which may be additional £60 depend on the album of course

I mean my album company- they change an extra £75 to design as well.

My charge is 2 quid a page, minimum of 50 quid. that seems about standard.
Some have more complex designs but for simple ones thats it.

Also do RAW processing for some.

I mean my album company- they change an extra £75 to design as well.

you mean you own a company or the company you use.
Anyway, I am offering to work togethor with the photographer if he wants to make changes or anything, no need to spend time uploading photos,
He can explain me exactly what he wants or I can talk directly to the couple if he whishes to.
I think couples will be more impressed that their album is being made by a designer and not by photographer
And of course I am offering my service with a smile - you don't get that from your computer... :)

I photograph mainly but do have the post processing part of the business, just built up with word of mouth

May I ask where do you print? which company do you ues?
And your cahrge is for design only?

So, maybe I have a chance too?

you mean you own a company or the company you use.
Anyway, I am offering to work togethor with the photographer if he wants to make changes or anything, no need to spend time uploading photos,
He can explain me exactly what he wants or I can talk directly to the couple if he whishes to.
I think couples will be more impressed that their album is being made by a designer and not by photographer
And of course I am offering my service with a smile - you don't get that from your computer... :)

the company I use.

If you think you can make it work go for it.

May I ask where do you print? which company do you ues?
And your cahrge is for design only?

So, maybe I have a chance too?

Design only, but will send files direct for printing album companies etc if they wanted to but I dont.

I have about 80 companies set sizes so I can design for loads. That is up to the client.

They can have indesign files, PDF, Jpgs, TIFFs etc back.

Loxley charge less than what you are proposing and do not need to charge vat if the album is a printed book. You also need to consider liability and disputes over colour, edits etc. Loxley send proof prints out for sign off on all designed layouts.

I was thinking an average 24 pages album will take me about 6 hours. An hour work is £10. That makes £60 an album.
6 hours? 24 pages - 12 spreads. Quite a few photographers use software like Fundy and an album that size would take about 30 mins to do...

Last edited:
miki7 said:
Do you like doing the wedding albums? Do you do them yourself? Would you prefer to pay someone to do them for you?

No.
Yes on the odd occasion I need to.
Possibly, seeing as you can just pass the cost on anyway.

Not too sure how the thread then became "Andrew's on the fly business plan", but anyway...

Would you photographers pay £120 including everything for an album?

I generally don't deal with albums. But when I do I wouldn't pay 120 quid for design and printing, because it would be terrible.

Andrew75 said:

Are you offering to travel to photographers and design 'live' with them for 10 quid an hour?

Back