Wedding Kit Nikon

If people want to get into it then so be it.

It's a business and lersonal goal, and there are no unrealistic goals.... just unrealistic timeframes.

My point is, if someone's serious about doing something with their photography, we shouldn't be making them doubt themselves - as a helpful community we should encourage and advise.

Maybe the op won't be pro this year, perhaps his goal is or should be a 2 year plan...

For the sake of discussion, if I was dipping my toes into wildlife photography with a view to maybe going pro in a few years. What would be the common approach?

Asking for a good starter lens, with a view to building up gear as I understood the requirements and limitations of various choices?

Or just asking for a complete shopping list with a budget to cover all bases?

It's hard to be so open minded when you've seen hundreds of similar threads, there's a reason they go south, but that's not really the fault of wedding photographers who always take the brunt of the stick.

The last wedding thread is a great case in point, another poster had a real go at me for being negative, completely missed my genuine offer of practical help and advice. And the OP just disappeared, because his plan was badly thought through.

The simple fact is this: if you know enough about photography to be thinking about shooting weddings for money, you realise you need:
2 camera bodies
Wide zoom
Fast std zoom
Fast tele (zoom optional)
2 flashguns
At least one standard ish lens as backup.

Plus loads of other stuff depending on your style of photography and the market you're aiming for.

Whether that lot is FF or crop, all Canon, Nikon or with 3rd party lenses and flashes isn't that big a deal (I did recommend that the std zoom was Nikon as I genuinely believe 3rd party focussing is inferior enough to make a difference)

The point is still, if your knowledge is up to the job, you don't need to ask the question. There are very few people with exceptional drive that can break that rule.

My point is, if someone's serious about doing something with their photography, we shouldn't be making them doubt themselves - as a helpful community we should encourage and advise.

a helpful community should also offer constructive and realistic critique of business plans - and if someones plans are totally unrealistic (and this is a general point i'm not saying that the OPs are necessarily) such as starting any kind of business with no experience and no idea whats involved - then the helpful community should point out the flaws in their thinking - not blow smoke up their arse and leave them to find out the unpleasant truth the hard way

Last edited:
anyway we are well off topic now - with regard to the OP , I don't know that much about Nikon kit as I shoot canon - but as a general rule of thumb if the budget is limited its better to have top quality glass and mid range bodies than vice versa

I'd also challenge the suggestion that you need to buy top end everything at the start - in business its perfectly practical to say we'll reinvest income and upgrade as we go - so long as your initial kit investment is sufficient to deliver the service you are selling

Last edited:
What's with the negativity all of a sudden and why is it ALWAYS with wedding photography??

So true. Gets very annoying.

I've never seen a wildlife pro question a newcomer about their skills or ask to see a portfolio before giving them friendly advice. Or a sports, landscape, studio portrait pro for that matter.

SO what he doesn't have samples on his flickr? I put very little of my work on there, just a few each time, ones I just happen to like personally, doesn't mean they're my best. And I rarely put up stuff that I was paid to shoot.

And even if he's never shot a wedding, it's nothing to do with anyone else if he wants to give it a go. You don't have to offer your expertise every time y'know ;)

And as I always say, even those of you who fancy yourselves as highly experienced pro's had to start out with a first wedding. You probably had very limited gear too, and you got through it. You probably didn't know then much about business or that you'd even continue to be wedding photograhers years later ...? Bit of a break to the newbies needed I feel.

Last edited:
So true. Gets very annoying.

I've never seen a wildlife pro question a newcomer about their skills or ask to see a portfolio before giving them friendly advice. Or a sports, landscape, studio portrait pro for that matter.

but then again we don't routinely see people saying " Ive decided i'm going to start a wildlife photography business , I 've only just bought a camera and have no clue what lens to use "

If we did they'd be advised that they are not ready to start a business yet , and learning the basics wouldnt be a bad idea.

We see wedding threads like that every week (if not more often)

I think it's because people see the wedding side as a gold mine ... which is probably not the case at all these days. I know a few years ago everyone wanted to be a wedding photographer because they "could get up to €3000 per wedding, do a couple every week for the summer, sorted!" And some were successful, most were not though.

I do see it around other forums, people saying they'd love to get into wildlife, shoot for Nat Geo etc ... and what should they buy and where to go, look etc ... they rarely get told off.

I think it's because people see the wedding side as a gold mine ... which is probably not the case at all these days. I know a few years ago everyone wanted to be a wedding photographer because they "could get up to €3000 per wedding, do a couple every week for the summer, sorted!" And some were successful, most were not though.

I do see it around other forums, people saying they'd love to get into wildlife, shoot for Nat Geo etc ... and what should they buy and where to go, look etc ... they rarely get told off.
Rarely seen though:), whereas; you'll have noticed it's a very common occurrence for weddings:cautious:.

Anyway, we can leave it there, rather than bemoan what might be the outcome. The OP has the opportunity to reassure us that he knows exactly what he's doing and he just wanted to chew the fat with some like minded individuals.:)

Alright question.

If I wanted to give up my job as a personal trainer and decide "I want to take photos of people sharing a very special day together, have an impact on their life and give them something to remember forever"...

Who would have a problem and why?

I already have
Nikon d7000
Nikon 70 - 300mm vr2
Nikon 18-105
Nikon sb900

Well you're pretty far from the correct kit as there's not much in the way of lenses that would be wedding approved... have you thought about a plan or how much to spend on what in what timeframe?

Basically, realistically when do you want to be doing a wedding a week?

How about the Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 along with a Nikon SB speed light?

Riz :)

I've got a budget of about £5000 and my plan is to try doing weddings ideally I would want to shadow someone or even a few people before I attempt one on my own lol I have done one along side a friend but the kit I have was just not good enough so wanted to see people's thoughts on the idea I know when you mention weddings people start getting defensive but you do need people's feedback to progress your photography

And to the people slating my twitter I don't really use it that much and I agree some are a bit crap

I'm not sure the 24-70 is all that usefull as opposed to just a 50mm or 35mm. Setting up strobes on stands allows slower lenses to be used. I'd also go for the 70-200 f2.8 instead of the 24-70 and 70-300. Two D700's rather than a mix of cameras would make life easier too - the pro layout with easy access to controls and a bright focussing screen is very handy on the D700.

I find the Nikon 24-70 is my default lens for wedding work, and very happy with it. Second body will usually have either the 85mm 1.4 mounted or (less often) the 70-200 2.8. If I 'had' to lose one, I'd lose the 70-200. A 14-24 is about to go into the bag too.

Full-frame has proven to be a huge help in dim churches, especially where flash is restricted (and yes that does happen, regularly, just as at many registry offices - it's all down to the individual registrar/vicar who may have had a bad experience in the past)

I haven't tried the Sigma 24-70 so cant comment on the comparison, but never had a issue on the Nikon at all, sharp results and spot-on focussing. I owned a Siggy 70-200, and wasn't happy with it at all, particularly when hunting for focus lock, so am not surprised at the comments about the 24-70. It went back fairly quickly, and can't imagine parting with the nikon 70-200, despite it being used the least of my lenses, when you need it it delivers!

I've got a budget of about £5000 and my plan is to try doing weddings ideally I would want to shadow someone or even a few people before I attempt one on my own lol I have done one along side a friend but the kit I have was just not good enough so wanted to see people's thoughts on the idea I know when you mention weddings people start getting defensive but you do need people's feedback to progress your photography

5 grand ought to be ample - i'd suggest keeping some of that in your back pocket for advertising/kit hire/ rainy day

regarding the remarks above I did try to make it clear that they werent aimed at you personally - its unfortunate that weddings are a touchy subject but there are lots of knowledgeable chaps here who are happy to help genuine enquirers.

regarding lenses 24-70 is ideal on a full frame body , if you wind up with crop sensored bodies you might find the short end a bit too long - in that case i'd look at something in f2.8 in the 17-55 ish range (as a Canonite i'm not sure what the specific Nikonian options are)

Last edited:

If you go secondhand then 5k will kit you out nicely especially if you can sell some of your current kit:

You should be able to pickup two D3 bodies for less than £2.5k (probably the cheapest weatherproof option)
24-70mm 2.8 at £1k
80-200mm 2.8 and must be af-s at about £700
24mm 2.8 at say £300 (wide backup)
SB600 backup flash for a few hundred and you already have SB900
About £200 for memory cards and batteries

For peace of mind it's worth remembering that pro kit holds its value better and sells easier so if it doesn't work out you should be able to recover most of your costs.

Last edited:

5k budget plus I would sell the d7k, the 70-300 and the 18-105 sgoukd get anot another £850 there so budget is £5850.

2x D700 around £1800 used
1x Nikon 70-200 vr2 around £1200 used
1x Nikon 24-70 around £900 used
1x Nikon 85mm 1.4g around £1k used
1 x SB-900 around £210 used

That leaves a hefty sum left over for grips, spare batteries, cf cards, bags etc.

Its easy to spend someone else's money.

Alright question.

If I wanted to give up my job as a personal trainer and decide "I want to take photos of people sharing a very special day together, have an impact on their life and give them something to remember forever"...

Who would have a problem and why?

I wouldnt have a problem - if you want to do that then thats your perogative and you are clearly a decent photographer so its not like some chucklehead who's just bought a camera and doesnt even understand modes yet (we had several like that last year)

However I'd advise you to make sure you'd got a business plan, insurance, and back up kit, to use a contract, and preferably to get some experience assisting or second shooting so you know how things go before you go solo.

I'd also suggest going part time and making sure the business works before you chuck over your job (I'd also suggest doing Diddy's course on the mechanics of the business side.)

(lastly as you are clearly a serious guy and not a timewaster or a troll , I would also be happy to help and advise by pm, phone , email or whatever - and you'd find many established shooters who'd do the same , including some who might take you second shooting or assisting)

This is true of most of the wedding shooters on here - we arent bad guys, we've just been worn down and jaded by the perenial waste of time threads , particularly towards the backend of last year

Other people that know Nikon have covered the gear(y)

You have what seems like a good plan to get gear together and some experience. But I have to ask, what makes you believe you really want to do this?

See Pete's response to Phil regarding business planning etc. I think wedding photography is great fun, I love spending time with couples on the happiest day of their lives, but it's such a small part of the whole business that sometimes it feels like the photography's not worth all the other hassle.

Whilst you're spending 5k on gear, have you got more money for storage, software, website, advertising, training, (see DGs course) sample albums etc.

Supporting other photographers can be a nightmare to get into, you have to be prepared to travel.

I wouldnt have a problem - if you want to do that then thats your perogative and you are clearly a decent photographer so its not like some chucklehead who's just bought a camera and doesnt even understand modes yet (we had several like that last year)

However I'd advise you to make sure you'd got a business plan, insurance, and back up kit, to use a contract, and preferably to get some experience assisting or second shooting so you know how things go before you go solo.

I'd also suggest going part time and making sure the business works before you chuck over your job (I'd also suggest doing Diddy's course on the mechanics of the business side.)

(lastly as you are clearly a serious guy and not a timewaster or a troll , I would also be happy to help and advise by pm, phone , email or whatever - and you'd find many established shooters who'd do the same , including some who might take you second shooting or assisting)

This is true of most of the wedding shooters on here - we arent bad guys, we've just been worn down and jaded by the perenial waste of time threads , particularly towards the backend of last year

Fair enough Pete. I can totally understand where you're coming from - every time a new PT comes into my club I think "here we go" but as a manager it's also my job to develop them - and because I want to as well, I don't want there to be rubbish PT's out there as it reflects upon all PT's...so I get that and I understand your frustration.

The point I was making is that for me it would perhaps take less time to get up to speed than someone coming with less experience but that is only a matter of time (assuming the passion and skill is there from mr up and coming).

I just think before we dismiss anybody or even go into negative discussions, more evidence should be obtained, such as his or her passion, current knowledge & reasons for doing so. Then it would be a scenario of "ok you're going to need to do this and its going to take you this long..." or once sufficient evidence is obtained it would be acceptable to say "you need to re-assess your reasons for being a wedding photographer.

That for me is goal setting 101.

I first got into photography on a whim - went into Jessops because I always wanted a "big" camera. I never had any passion for images whatsoever - nothing! Now I'm sad - spending my off days roaming the streets of London trying to create what I think looks good lol!!

So in summary to my long and probably slightly boring post:

We should first consult & then advise on how long it will take to achieve ones goal - not instil self doubt :)

*The above isn't in anyway directed at you, just my opinion on how to help somebody with a life goal*

Lol yeah the companies ask me for positive statements...I'm secretly famous :p

ive just realised, you're Stephen Covey posting under a pseudonym - I thought "the 7 habits" was a great book its an honour to have met you :LOL:

ive just realised, you're Stephen Covey posting under a pseudonym - I thought "the 7 habits" was a great book its an honour to have met you :LOL:

I taught Stephen all he knows, he's the author but they are my words bahaha.

It's just part of my nature and indeed job to be positive and help others set and achieve goals... I really dislike negative behaviour and attitude to goal setting.

:)

Hello Everyone im still interested in starting my own buisness and after a lot more practice and thinking i think im going to go for.........

Nikon D800 Use (D7000 as a back up )
Nikon 24 - 70mm
Nikon 50mm 1.4
Nikon Speedlight SB910

Im going to see how i get on with these .......

I personally won't go for a D800 for wedding stuff but is your choice.

I would do the following:

Keep your current gear as backup

Nikon d7000
Nikon 70 - 300mm vr2
Nikon 18-105
Nikon sb900

Add the following to your gear list.

1x D700 used (£1000) or 1x D3 used (£1500) possible cheaper as well
1x 70-200 f2.8 VR1 used (£1000)
1x 24-70 f2.8 used (£1000)
1x SB910 (£330 new)
1x 35mm f1.8 AFS new (£130) for your D7000
1x 50mm f1.8 AFD new (£100)
1x 85mm f1.8 AFD new (£280)
1x 14-24 f2.8 used (£1000)

That should be around £5000 or possible less as well.

The price i listed is purely approx since i last seen, so it may change.

Because my personal preference. I did say is his choice. I did not say a bad thing about the D800. I like the camera but my personal choice won't be a D800 if i gonna invest 5k on kit and i know i need to buy couple of lens and flash as well.

Lens over body is my principal. I rather grab a used D700 or used D3 and use the money on quality lens then buying a D800.

Because my personal preference. I did say is his choice. I did not say a bad thing about the D800. I like the camera but my personal choice won't be a D800 if i gonna invest 5k on kit and i know i need to buy couple of lens and flash as well.

Lens over body is my principal. I rather grab a used D700 or used D3 and use the money on quality lens then buying a D800.

defensive much?. I asked why - to explain your thinking? Why also would you include a 14-24 in a wedding kit?

Last edited:
Yes I'm being sensitive specially in this thread because I can easily get bash from some other Pros in here, so thats why i explain myself quickly.

The 14-24 f2.8 is really optional but having a wider lens for bigger group shots is nice specially if working in tight space.

I shoot in crop sensor camera and i use 17-50 for my group shots and sometimes i wish i can go a little wider for group shots.

Last edited:
Grooms can be portly too!

i take it is sarcastic comment about the use of 14-24 wide angle zoom. I personally would keep one in the bag incase when you needed, not all shot is require but some shot is nice with the 14-24.

I rather have the lens in the bag not use then feel sorry when you need one .....

i take it is sarcastic comment about the use of 14-24 wide angle zoom. I personally would keep one in the bag incase when you needed, not all shot is require but some shot is nice with the 14-24.

I rather have the lens in the bag not use then feel sorry when you need one .....

Stop being so defensive. It's a little fun, that's all. I can see how you'd use it for weddings, but mainly for creative wide angles.

Understand man. I got jump on before for making a comment that I feel is valid so that's why I feel defensive lol.

A good f/1.4 prime will be indispensable at a wedding, especially in dark church interiors where even f/2.8 zooms struggle.

While I have only shot one wedding, and never plan to do one again as long as I live, I can say the 50 and 85 f/1.4's I had were life savers once we got into the church and the light levels dropped like a 10 ton weight...

If you are struggling at 2.8, you will be struggling at 1.4

Who wants to shoot at 1.4 anyway (unless you wanted to anyway for artistic reasons)

The simple fact is this: if you know enough about photography to be thinking about shooting weddings for money, you realise you need:
2 camera bodies
Wide zoom
Fast std zoom
Fast tele (zoom optional)
2 flashguns
At least one standard ish lens as backup.

Plus loads of other stuff depending on your style of photography and the market you're aiming for.

Whether that lot is FF or crop, all Canon, Nikon or with 3rd party lenses and flashes isn't that big a deal (I did recommend that the std zoom was Nikon as I genuinely believe 3rd party focussing is inferior enough to make a difference)

The point is still, if your knowledge is up to the job, you don't need to ask the question. There are very few people with exceptional drive that can break that rule.
This all over

Back