Wedding - not to everyones taste?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Hi All :wave:

Just a couple from last week. Not going to post the traditional shots - these are a few poses and styles am playing with.

- really heavy rain outside so I was stuck indoors...

Your opinions are greatly appreciated - whatever your experience.

1)
5769335831_cea554766f.jpg
[/url] B dress spread light1 by Ian W Holt, on Flickr[/IMG]

2)
5768415145_7656466f26.jpg
[/url] B&G mirror by Ian W Holt, on Flickr[/IMG]

3)
5766040007_2e1fbd263c.jpg
[/url] B&G stand art by Ian W Holt, on Flickr[/IMG]

4)
5766584652_539e57fa19.jpg
[/url] B&G Stand by Ian W Holt, on Flickr[/IMG]

5)
5768429825_b43caeefbd.jpg
[/url] B stand lighting mood by Ian W Holt, on Flickr[/IMG]

6)
5768428039_9355d24c5a.jpg
[/url] G sit B stand blur by Ian W Holt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Am aware the fire exit sign and green leaf need cloning out on these 2.

To me they couple look a little uncomfortable, especially in 3 & 4.
He has his arms around her, but looks like he's trying to get away from her.

Not keen on them looking out of frame in the rest. Technically the photo's do have a high class look about them that I like.

I like #1, the composition is great and it really shows the bride off well.
I like the idea in #2 but the door frame in left of the reflection is off-putting, a different angle, if possible, would have been better.
I also like #7 but the rest don't move me especially, I'm sorry.

love the first one

clone out the lightshade in the second, I really like it, its different

3rd one looks like a mag shoot of an arguement rather than a loving couple

4th cant say why but I just dont like it

5th, clone out 2 spotlights, other than that its lovely

6th and 7th would be fab if not for the stairwell and perhaps try to drop the colour on the wood in the wondow frame to make it less noticeable

8th too cold

But I am just a lover of wedding photos and couldnt possibly take anything like any of these, I would love to have photographed any one of them

To me they couple look a little uncomfortable, especially in 3 & 4.
He has his arms around her, but looks like he's trying to get away from her.

Not keen on them looking out of frame in the rest. Technically the photo's do have a high class look about them that I like.

Thanks for the feedback cyclone, appreciated.

Ian

I like #1, the composition is great and it really shows the bride off well.
I like the idea in #2 but the door frame in left of the reflection is off-putting, a different angle, if possible, would have been better.
I also like #7 but the rest don't move me especially, I'm sorry.

Thanks for the feedback Gramps, much appreciated.

It is a school boy error on 2 really, :bonk: I should know better.

Thanks

Ian

love the first one

clone out the lightshade in the second, I really like it, its different

3rd one looks like a mag shoot of an arguement rather than a loving couple

4th cant say why but I just dont like it

5th, clone out 2 spotlights, other than that its lovely

6th and 7th would be fab if not for the stairwell and perhaps try to drop the colour on the wood in the wondow frame to make it less noticeable

8th too cold

But I am just a lover of wedding photos and couldnt possibly take anything like any of these, I would love to have photographed any one of them

Thanks Sam, your feedback is appreciated.

Ian

whats at the top of the mirror in #2 .. looks like the top of someones head?

whats at the top of the mirror in #2 .. looks like the top of someones head?

Yep it is the top of his head. The mirror has an angled mirror pattern around the edges which has its own reflection at a separate angle, I have a cloned out version - but liked the quirkiness in this one.

Ian

Yep it is the top of his head. The mirror has an angled mirror pattern around the edges which has its own reflection at a separate angle, I have a cloned out version - but liked the quirkiness in this one.

Ian

ah thats what I thought was a lightshade!! should have looked closer!

The composition of #1 is great, only gripe is the lack of light on her. Of course it helps that she has a dress that was well designed ;)

Thanks Tina

The lighting was a NIGHTMARE!! these things are sent to try us :bang:

I assume from your opening line you are a wedding photographer?

Pretty much - I like all of these - however realise that weddings are not my Forte, and didn't notice some of the things people above mentioned about awkward poses etc - (though spotted a few things to clone!)

Given it's an inside job (so to speak) due to the weather, I can appreciate how much more difficult it is........... not much for me to add in terms of C&C - though I vastly prefer the Bride in focus 7, as opposed to the groom , 6.

Lynton

I assume from your opening line you are a wedding photographer?

Pretty much - I like all of these - however realise that weddings are not my Forte, and didn't notice some of the things people above mentioned about awkward poses etc - (though spotted a few things to clone!)

Given it's an inside job (so to speak) due to the weather, I can appreciate how much more difficult it is........... not much for me to add in terms of C&C - though I vastly prefer the Bride in focus 7, as opposed to the groom , 6.

Lynton

Hi Lynton

I am a wedding tog yes, I do all the traditional shots but with the massive increase in competition lately am just trying out a few different styles - to see if I can appeal to other markets.

Thanks for your feedback, it is appreciated (I prefer 7 also)

Ian

Love the style...you've done well to get the B and G to pose for you successfully and made best use of your light. Well done, you should be pleased.

Thank you for your comments - I know not everybody will like this style, it breaks a few to many rules I think, but you and I must have similar taste.

Thanks

Ian

I'm not sure how 'different' they are, look fairly straight shots to me..

#1 is nice, but as said, needs more light - bit of flash on her upper body would've done the job nicely. Good image besides that though.

#3 and #4 the groom needs to be stood closer to his bride, his hips are pushed out making it look like he's pulling away / doesn't want to be intimate with her. #4 and #8 if he had titled his head towards rather than away from her would've helped as well.

#5 is nice, though the elbows and bouquet being half in the frame sits a little awkwardly.

#6 and #7 I prefer #7, though I think the groom is a bit 'cut-off' in them both. I feel more of him showing on one side of her would sit nicer.

Back to #1 I do like, have you tried a bright mono conversion of it? I think it could work well. :)

I think we should remember that the images are primarily for the B&G not for the tog. If the B&G were professional models who can pose and take direction then critiquing their relative positions would be valid. In this case I think Freeze Fram did very well indeed.

Hi I'm not qualified at all to cast a critical eye, but from a purely personal point of view if I was one of the happy couple I'd spend money on #3 in particular. Maybe just tone down the background but I like the drama. Love #5 as well, mind you the bride is a lovely subject.

I love the framing work you've done with #1. It's a great pose and a very elegant way to display the bride!

Of course, the door is a bit distracting but I doubt it'll be too noticeable from the client's point of view.

#3 looks a bit naughty-ish, which I think is cool. Maybe even a little more emphasis on the way they look might make it even better. Who knows..

Even though the couple looks a little bit uncomfortable posing, I like what you've done with the juxtaposition between the bride and groom.

I like number 4, they both look very happy together. Actually like the position of number 7 as well, very creative - nice set :)

I think that these are a very contemporary set within a modern building, it was a bold stroke as you only get bite of the cherry on the day, To be blessed with a such a natural model in the bride must have godsend, I would have sent everyone else home and spent all day taking pictures of the bride :LOL:.
OK people have picked the odd cloning issue and awkward pose of the groom but I like the concept, and being a young couple I think they will be pleased.
While others have rightfully picked up no1 I also like no.6 as the look on the grooms face says a great deal.

Looking at these again, I think number 4 would have looked good on number 3's background. Still, a lovely set :)

I really like these, I like the 'feel' of them, true, there are some criticisms as mentioned, but I doubt the b & g would see those. If only the groom didn't look so terrified :).
I think the style is one you should develop, I can certainly see it being popular.

Last edited:
Were these images from a real wedding or a workshop? I ask because the bride doesn't appear to be wearing a wedding ring in image 3. And also because it might explain why I feel there is a lack of emotion in these images.

Were these images from a real wedding or a workshop? I ask because the bride doesn't appear to be wearing a wedding ring in image 3. And also because it might explain why I feel there is a lack of emotion in these images.

HA! I feel cheap and used now! :)

To be fair the OP hasnt said they are from a wedding and hasnt mentioned anyhting about wedding.. so you might be onto soemhting... certainly given us all the impression its a real wedding but not sure now?

KIPAX said:
HA! I feel cheap and used now! :)

To be fair the OP hasnt said they are from a wedding and hasnt mentioned anyhting about wedding.. so you might be onto soemhting... certainly given us all the impression its a real wedding but not sure now?

He does state he's a wedding tog but skilfully avoids saying these are from a wedding.

I still like them :)

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the feedback.

Well spotted BooBear.

These are a from a set up studio shoot and not a real wedding. The intention was never to cheat or con anybody so I apologise if you feel that way. I was going to end the thread stating this.

I didn't want to mislead but I also needed opinions that were based on the images being from a wedding, not a studio shoot. ;)

The shoot was supposed to be for the covers and adverts of some new promotional wedding material I was designing, who would have thought that after so much organising and money spent that I could have missed something so simple! it wasn't until my proof reader noticed that I realised myself. I was going to shop some rings in or just run with it...but thought I would get a few opinions first.... i have decided to just use a selection of my wedding photographs instead. :(

Thanks again

Ian

Hi Ian
No worries - I don't feel conned or cheated at all, it's just that even before I noticed the lack of ring I knew these weren't from an actual wedding. There's no real connection between the bride and groom. You're obviously a skilled photographer so I'm sure you've got plenty of wedding images to use in your promotional material - I suspect that if I have picked up on this, potential clients might do too?
Cheers,
Becky

The intention was never to cheat or con anybody so I apologise if you feel that way. I was going to end the thread stating this.

You knew exactly what you was doing :( The fact that you where going to end the thread telling us just confirms you knew... Not the way to treat other members IMHO .. hows anyone going to trust your next post?

Its not a big thing.. nobody died... just extermely poor manners IMHO

Post 29 until someone else spotted. Now it's easy for me to say this after the cat is out of the bag but I spotted them straight away. I was hunting for the ring as it felt like there was no bond. There is no emotion what so ever in these photographs, they are a good looking team of models and have been photographed well. I think you have done a good job but think they could have worked harder and got more closer to one another.

I was going to be really daring and post something along the lines of:

"Was this TFCD or paid for shoot for the models?"

I was going to do this as I think you mislead us. Why? I don't know but your choice of wording seems very odd to not state this is a workshop.

Very unique - I'm sure they will be very happy with these pictures!

I feel sorry for the lad that it's only a studio setup. He was batting well above his average there :D

You knew exactly what you was doing :( The fact that you where going to end the thread telling us just confirms you knew... Not the way to treat other members IMHO .. hows anyone going to trust your next post?

Its not a big thing.. nobody died... just extermely poor manners IMHO

Yes I knew exactly what I was doing... asking for critique on some photographs!

I wanted the critique to be based around the market the photographs were aimed for - ie wedding, if I had stated they were a studio shoot then I don't think I would have gained the kind of critique I was looking for, maybe this was a mistake - or indeed it was a mistake if you judge it be "extermely (extremely) poor manners" - so to you, for this, I apologise.

The fake bride had never done any photography shoots before, this was her first and it showed unfortunately - so even without the ring these shots weren't good enough :(

Thanks for all the feedback - be it wedding based or studio based (y)

Ian

Back