Wedding slideshow

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't normally post my wedding work on here, but I mentioned in another thread about a photojournalism workshop I attended recently in Dallas - some people were interested in the outcome and this is the first wedding I shot after the workshop.

This slideshow of my favourites represents around 25% of the complete set of images given to the couple.

95% available light only, no flash used until the dancing at the end.

Slideshow

Duncan

crikey those are good! :clap:

I bet bride & groom are over the moon
Brought a tear to my eye just looking at them - marvellous!

They are simply stunning!!!! I find them 100% totally and goose pimply inspiring. :clap:

With this being your first wedding since the course, do you feel it has improved your work? As knowing of you for the last couple of years I know just how damn good you are!!

There seems to be a lot of people trying to sell courses and cash in and I find myself cautious about their value for money. I honestly believe when you get to your level Duncan, you have to have a natural talent that just can not be taught!

Thanks Richard. I learnt a lot of things from the workshop, lots of little things, and learnt that little changes can make a huge impact to a photo. I don't think I'll have fully realised or implemented what I learnt from the experience for months.

Superb as always!

Stunning and totally agree with the statement above about encompassing the surroundings too. Awesome work.
Which lens(es) were these all taken with?

Fantastic set. I felt that it was some of the earliest shots that had the strongest flavour of your other slideshow - the bags by the radiator, for example, and the very first one through the chair. But I guess that it's not something you can assess too closely on individual shots.

Thanks again.

The majority (85% ?) were taken using the 24 1.4 on one body and 85 1.2 on the other.

The long shots from the back of the church were with the 70-200 2.8 IS, group shots with the 24-105 f4 and a few of the dancing with the 16-35 2.8

Fantastic set. I felt that it was some of the earliest shots that had the strongest flavour of your other slideshow - the bags by the radiator, for example, and the very first one through the chair. But I guess that it's not something you can assess too closely on individual shots.

Thanks Keith, don't forget I spent 2 days working in the shop on the other slideshow, looking for stuff to make the boring interesting. At a wedding you don't quite have the luxury of time like that.

Great set as always Duncan and I certainly recognised them as your images in your style. I remember you mentioning the workshop and would be interested in how you think it has impacted your style (if at all), your approach to shooting a wedding and what you feel you have gained from it.

:clap: Good stuff DK :clap:

So you fibbed on that other thread saying all one needs is a 50mm f1.4 :LOL:

I love how you manage to shoot speeches from so many angles too - you must have more talkative people than I do or you move like grease lightening around the place

DD

I have been admiring your work for some time now Duncan, and I absolutely love the fun and vibrance in this slide-show. The couple clearly had fun on their big day.

Interested to know what lens(es) you used - especially in the church. and ISO settings please. I have a wedding on Friday 13th in a dark church and then reception in a castle.

Gillian

Thanks Keith, don't forget I spent 2 days working in the shop on the other slideshow, looking for stuff to make the boring interesting. At a wedding you don't quite have the luxury of time like that.
Definitely. I didn't mean to to suggest to that there was anything missing from the the other shots. Just that, for me, some shots reminded me more strongly of the first set than others - as would be expected. Looks like you've added another string to your already multi-strung bow :)

Great set and it gives ambition to all.

I think you could start running seminars for the underprivileged shooter.

I wouldn't normally comment on wedding shots, but, wow. These are superb. Must be very rewarding work.

Great set as always Duncan and I certainly recognised them as your images in your style. I remember you mentioning the workshop and would be interested in how you think it has impacted your style (if at all), your approach to shooting a wedding and what you feel you have gained from it.

Short answer : I don't know !

Long answer : The workshop is very student intensive, rather than lecturer intensive. There is no curriculum as such, they don't have a roster of skills to teach you. The learnings are from the critique of what you shoot while you are there, and also in seeing the images of others in your team and listening to their critiques.

We were shooting all day, and then critiquing all night (until 4am !) for two days straight. Having your four mentors, all very experienced photographers, and the other members of your team going though every single shot you took is a difficult, uncomfortable, but invaluable experience.

Will it change my style ? Probably in many small ways, but it's impossible to nail down exactly what I learnt. Was it worth the $4500 it cost me ? Without a shadow of a doubt. I feel like I'm starting over again.

Last edited:
I have been admiring your work for some time now Duncan, and I absolutely love the fun and vibrance in this slide-show. The couple clearly had fun on their big day.

Interested to know what lens(es) you used - especially in the church. and ISO settings please. I have a wedding on Friday 13th in a dark church and then reception in a castle.

Gillian

Thanks Gillian, the lenses are above somewhere. ISO 800-1600 for the prep shots, 1600 inside the church, probably 400 outside, 1600-3200 for the inside stuff in the evening.

Some inspiring images as usual Duncan. And some lovely glass used to great effect. Stunning candid style that I love!

:clap::clap::clap:

simply stunning, and thank you for sharing :)

As everyone else has said......plus a WOW from me.

Breathtaking set.
I've never seen something like that...
It was an impeccable work and I got esthetic pleasure.
(y)(y)(y)

Duncan your images are so amazing. This slide show is jaw dropping. I spent most of the time shaking my head at just how brilliant they are. I can see a change in this wedding, though I can't describe it. But there is definitely something different.

I think what makes your work so much more inspiring, is the fact that through out the time I have known you on here you always remain level headed, and accept the praise you get without letting it inflate your head.

Can I just say also ... the Brides dress is absolutely beautiful! The shot in the slide show about 4 or 5 in shows all the detail perfectly. You most definitely did her dress justice, and even if she doesn't own that dress all of her life, she will be able to look back on your photographs and remember exactly how it looked and felt.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Brilliant work again Duncan, you truly are an inspiration :)

I think (and I could be wrong) that I'm seeing two subtle changes, I think I'm seeing a couple more shots from very low viewpoints (It may just be the shots you chose for the slideshow) and a few more using objects as frames. Shooting through the chair and the plant.

It's fantasitc that you are willing to share your experiences from your course with us too, it certainly opened my eyes to other possibilities.

Take care :)

Superb as always, the thought you put into each and every shot is clear to see; the camera angle, the layers within each frame, which subject(s) to focus on - never mind getting the metering right in difficult lighting conditions.

I struggle to get half of these things right without the pressure of shooting a wedding at the same time. :bonk:

Duncan your images are so amazing. This slide show is jaw dropping. I spent most of the time shaking my head at just how brilliant they are. I can see a change in this wedding, though I can't describe it. But there is definitely something different.

You're right, I just got more awesome than before.

I think what makes your work so much more inspiring, is the fact that through out the time I have known you on here you always remain level headed, and accept the praise you get without letting it inflate your head.

Oops, scrub what I just said :D

I was talking to a much older and wiser photographer than me shortly after I had started out. I had shot a few weddings and I was keen to show him some of the emails my happy clients had sent me. He shook his head and said 'the minute you start to believe in your own press, your photography will go downhill'.

It's great to get praise for what you've done, and I'm proud of the photos in that wedding, but it's just a step along the road. If I don't look back at it in a year or two and shoot holes in it then I'll be disappointed.

Duncan

Simply breathtaking - by far the best wedding pics i've ever seen...something for us all to aspire to...

Did you get by without a tripod for most ?

You are a very talented chap !

/looks in, nods, bows (y)

Simply breathtaking - by far the best wedding pics i've ever seen...something for us all to aspire to...

Did you get by without a tripod for most ?

You are a very talented chap !

Thank you Mike, I didn't take a tripod to the wedding.

Brilliant work again Duncan, you truly are an inspiration :)

I think (and I could be wrong) that I'm seeing two subtle changes, I think I'm seeing a couple more shots from very low viewpoints (It may just be the shots you chose for the slideshow) and a few more using objects as frames. Shooting through the chair and the plant.

It's fantasitc that you are willing to share your experiences from your course with us too, it certainly opened my eyes to other possibilities.

Take care :)

Thanks Ali, yes more framing is part of my learnings, and to get in closer than I was before, break the 6ft barrier :) This was also the first wedding I shot using back button focus, and mainly manual exposure.

Thank you Mike, I didn't take a tripod to the wedding.

Is the right answer :clap: - I'm doing a wedding (smaller affair) in a couple of months and really would like to get by without a tripod....just seems less formal without one...putting people more at ease.

Do you try and get by without one as a rule.....obviously available light is a key factor

I love your candid approach by the way....did the B&G request this style ?

Do you try and get by without one as a rule.....obviously available light is a key factor

I think the only time I've used a tripod at a wedding in the last 4 years, other than for fireworks, was during a candlelit ceremony shooting from the back at ISO6400, f1.4, 1/30 sec. Me and tripods don't get on.

I love your candid approach by the way....did the B&G request this style ?

It's the way I shoot, it's what people book me for. I don't make the mistake of asking them what they want ;)

It's the way I shoot, it's what people book me for. I don't make the mistake of asking them what they want ;)

That shows well deserved confidence in your ability, I don't think I'd have that bottle :)

Back