Weddings what kit

A properly shot wedding probably looked a little different than they are now. Surely they were far heavier on posed flash lit portraits and there was less expectation of some candids even in the pitch black. It can be done, but it requires a very decent amount of knowledge. Digital Rev cheap camera challenge is worth a watch.

Yup. Smaller prints too and not viewed on a hi def flat panel TV.

Years ago I shot in dark venues with an f4 lens and 1600 film and you know what? No one ever complained.

Lensbaby wedding shots...Cool!

Lensbaby wedding shots...Cool!

OHH! Twice Cool!!

People's considerations of what is appropriate equipment changes over time.

A mere eleven years ago, I bought a Nikon D100. At the same time, there was an interview in Amateur Photographer with a well respected wedding photographer (I forget which one) who stated that the D100 was the perfect camera for weddings.

I doubt that many people would suggest a small sensor, 6MP camera for weddings today despite it being just as capable as it was in 2003 (except for mine which broke!).

Steve.

At my daughter's wedding last year, her photographer used a 5DIIl, 24-105L, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f/l

PS Don't forget spare batteries and memory cards...

My setup exactly besides I use a lens baby too. Great looke price if kit for different shots. In my experience 1 in 3 will hate the results of the lb though. All bases covered and really versatile. As your on a 400 all these will be longer though as your in a crop sensor.

If you want to do this I'd advise going as a second shooter with a seasoned tog first, it can be a very daunting experience. Keep In mind not all venues are lovely open spaces with lots if light. In fact there are lots that are quite dark and pose lots if challenges. Scope out the rooms used and set your presets in manual mode to get you in the ballpark so it's less time dialling them in. The weather is never your friend so don't rely on outdoor shots when prepping the day. Take a list off the bride and groin if essential people to shoot, locations they like. That's your bible.

As fir if you have to ask your not ready, rubbish. everyone starts somewhere. Get stuck in and good luck :)

Last edited:
As fir if you have to ask your not ready, rubbish. everyone starts somewhere. Get stuck in and good luck :)

Everyone does have to start somewhere, but for some reason it always seems to be weddings people want to dive straight into.

To the OP, do some other stuff first if you haven't already, street photography is a good place to practice documentary photography, family and individual portrait sessions for the posed stuff. Arrange some of theses shoots at various times of the day, it will help you cope with the unexpected when (not if) difficulties arise during the big day. Sunshine is your friend and your foe on a wedding day, you must know how to cope with it, especially if the couples want some family group shots.

I'm thinking of doing some wedding photos I have a Canon eos 400 with standard wide angle and a sigma 10-20mm also buying a lensbaby. Will this kit be any good or do I need something more suited to the task probably be going for more relaxed reportage style shots

I have shot weddings for many years now but have to say have always stuck with semi or pro gear. Even for my very first attempt at a friends wedding unpaid i invested in a 16-50 2.8 lens to do the job !

You will find the demands of wedding photography will be probably more than your 400 and kit zoom is capable of which will put you on the back foot to start with always trying to get it do something it cant. If you do go on with that kit then compared to what is being produced in the wedding photography field you are going to be lucky to pull out some fairly average shots and will be reliant upon your own artistic talent to make them work. That's not to say you cant do it - but personally i would not recommend it.

Personal recommendation - as a second shooter or at a mates wedding

A Canon 5dmk2 or 60d/70d at the least
A decent flash gun 430exII or above
At least one prime 35mm or 50mm for low light stuff

Hope this helps and once again its just my own opinion ! But i have shot over 200 weddings and weddings is my full time business.

As fir if you have to ask your not ready, rubbish. everyone starts somewhere.

Its not rubbish - everyone does indeed have to start somewhere, however you're doing to OP a great disservice by telling him he's ready to shoot on a professional basis when he so clearly isn't.

Bear in mind this doesn't directly apply to the OP:

This couldn't be more wrong in 'professional' terms. If my daughter paid over hard earned money to a photographer who turned up with no understanding of when to use what gear? I can't imagine I'd have any option than to sue.

But for learning, for shooting at mates weddings, then fill yer boots with whatever gear you have.

And I'm no gear snob, some people here suggesting a 400d is incapable? It's a joke right? The kit lens is totally unsuitable (in terms of IQ and low light ability), I wouldn't want to use the 400d, but I could use it and a customer wouldn't know I was using an 'old rubbish' camera.

I would be guess doing weddings you would do some for family and friends first, same pressure but managed expectations. So I agree with Phil there. But Your, if you ask you're not ready statement stinks of arrogance, not helpful at all. Would you have said I was ready when I did my first one? Definitely not, did I do it, get paid and provide what the couple wanted. Absolutely. Did I learn lots and lots. Yes. Do i continue to get booked and have happy customers? I do indeed. Done learn by doing. It's as simple as that.

Have you seen his work? Do you know him and his pedigree? No. Only he can decide how ready he is. If the op is sensible he will start slowly and build from there. I know a few degree level togs that can't shoot for toffee, and lots of 'ametures' that constantly outperform said qualified togs. I stand by my statement. Go for it :)

Last edited:
I would be guess doing weddings you would do some for family and friends first, same pressure but managed expectations. So I agree with Phil there. But Your, if you ask you're not ready statement stinks of arrogance, not helpful at all. Would you have said I was ready when I did my first one? Definitely not, did I do it, get paid and provide what the couple wanted. Absolutely. Did I learn lots and lots. Yes. Do i continue to get booked and have happy customers? I do indeed. Done learn by doing. It's as simple as that.

Have you seen his work? Do you know him and his pedigree? No. Only he can decide how ready he is. If the op is sensible he will start slowly and build from there. I know a few degree level togs that can't shoot for toffee, and lots of 'ametures' that constantly outperform said qualified togs. I stand by my statement. Go for it :)

We'll have to disagree there . But its not arrogant, no more then your dismal of my sentiments is simply foolish ;) You see.

I've neve seen his work, but I'm going to read between the lines (a skill I amazed you seem to lack) and bet that by the nature of that question there is no 'pedigree'.

I stand by my statement, just 'going or it' would be silly.

BTW I'd love to see your portfolio. It seems like every person who shoots weddings (including me) likes the possible SEO benefit of adding a signature.

I'm more of the opinion find out what you need get it practice with it. If you read the op I stated what I had asked if it was suitable and got arsey comments (and I'm not the only who thought that)if I need to buy new kit and learn more I will I'm not going to be charging or doing professional photos anytime soon I know that. People give smart witty answers that are no use I'm sorry if I was angry in my reply I just get annoyed with people who ( not you) who offer no help other than a smart arse comment to make themselves feel bigger and more all knowing than someone looking for advice

You say that people give answers that are no use?

This is what you posted, "I'm thinking of doing some wedding photos I have a Canon eos 400 with standard wide angle and a sigma 10-20mm also buying a lensbaby. Will this kit be any good or do I need something more suited to the task probably be going for more relaxed reportage style shots".

It seems to me that most of the people who responded put a lot more thought and effort into their replies than you did into your OP. You should be grateful for the replies you got.

I don't think we disagree fundamentally 'Go for it' as long as you're doing it for free to gain knowledge.:)

But if you're really suggesting that 'go for it' as in 'start advertising your services' is OK, the that's worse than misguided. :confused:

I'm not a 'wedding photography is the toughest job in the world' poster, but you'll agree it requires a certain level of knowledge and skill (just like providing any other service), and it ought to be obvious that by the time someone has built up that knowledge and skill, they no longer need to ask questions about gear.

So, yes it should be blatantly obvious.

I'm not a 'wedding photography is the toughest job in the world' poster, but you'll agree it requires a certain level of knowledge and skill (just like providing any other service), and it ought to be obvious that by the time someone has built up that knowledge and skill, they no longer need to ask questions about gear.

So, yes it should be blatantly obvious.

I think there can be exceptions. I got chatting to someone who shoots planes a while ago and I'm sure that he does a better job of it than I would but he had little Idea what I was talking about when I started waffling on about manual lenses, adapters and WYSIWYG :D

I think it might just be possible to have a great eye for a shot and to be able to take very lovely pictures and yet not know what to get kit wise. It may be less likely these days when so many people are borderline obsessed with kit, but it might be possible :D

I think there can be exceptions. I got chatting to someone who shoots planes a while ago and I'm sure that he does a better job of it than I would but he had little Idea what I was talking about when I started waffling on about manual lenses, adapters and WYSIWYG :D

I think it might just be possible to have a great eye for a shot and to be able to take very lovely pictures and yet not know what to get kit wise. It may be less likely these days when so many people are borderline obsessed with kit, but it might be possible :D
With the greatest of respect, we're not talking about manual lenses and adapters, we're talking about correct focal lengths and lenses suitable for the task.

I'll be the wasn't getting great shots of planes using the 'wrong' kit?

I've not really done people or portraits so I know things will need work thanks again

that summarises OP's current experience pretty well. I can see only one obvious suggestion - learn to shoot portraits first (and that incidentally isn't a job for a day or two).

With the greatest of respect, we're not talking about manual lenses and adapters, we're talking about correct focal lengths and lenses suitable for the task.

I'll be the wasn't getting great shots of planes using the 'wrong' kit?

Sorry for assuming that you could see my point. I'll try to be clearer, just for you, clearer than your last gobbledegook sentence anyway.

My point was that it's at least feasible that someone can have a good eye and be able to take great shots and yet not know what the current best kit is.

That little sentiment may not be applicable to the OP but on a gear obsessed forum populated by geeks with gas it's perhaps worth considering, momentarily, and then dismissing :D

And I'm no gear snob, some people here suggesting a 400d is incapable? It's a joke right? The kit lens is totally unsuitable (in terms of IQ and low light ability), I wouldn't want to use the 400d, but I could use it and a customer wouldn't know I was using an 'old rubbish' camera.

Absolutely. A good lens on an entry level camera is going to do much better than a crap lens on a top level camera.

Steve.

Sorry for assuming that you could see my point. I'll try to be clearer, just for you, clearer than your last gobbledegook sentence anyway.

My point was that it's at least feasible that someone can have a good eye and be able to take great shots and yet not know what the current best kit is.

That little sentiment may not be applicable to the OP but on a gear obsessed forum populated by geeks with gas it's perhaps worth considering, momentarily, and then dismissing :D
blummin ipad - i miss a space and it picks one at random...:mad:

I'll bet he wasn't getting great shots of planes using the 'wrong' kit?
Yes I appreciate 'a good eye' and all that, but not knowing what kit does what kinda shoots that in the foot.

Last edited:
Bit OT but is there such thing as a crap lens being made nowadays ? Even the entry-level OEM lenses seem ok and most of the third party offerings are really, really good. Just wondering.

Bit OT but is there such thing as a crap lens being made nowadays ? Even the entry-level OEM lenses seem ok and most of the third party offerings are really, really good. Just wondering.
There's no such thing as a 'crap lens' in the same way there's no such thing as 'crap weather' or 'crap light'. But there is such a thing as 'unsuitable' for all of those.

Your average kit lens is soft as sh1t wide open, has a slow variable aperture, making it unsuitable for use in low light and for isolating subjects, and the focus motor is poop too compared to top level kit. Drop to f8 and shoot landscapes or everyday 'snaps' and it's perfectly adequate.

So the kit lens isn't 'crap' but is unsuitable for use on the average wedding if a decent level of results are required.

There's no such thing as a 'crap lens' in the same way there's no such thing as 'crap weather' or 'crap light'. But there is such a thing as 'unsuitable' for all of those.

Your average kit lens is soft as sh1t wide open, has a slow variable aperture, making it unsuitable for use in low light and for isolating subjects, and the focus motor is poop too compared to top level kit. Drop to f8 and shoot landscapes or everyday 'snaps' and it's perfectly adequate.

So the kit lens isn't 'crap' but is unsuitable for use on the average wedding if a decent level of results are required.

The one that came with 400D is pretty much unsuitable for anything and won't resolve anywhere near 10mp. (the much later IS model is 'acceptable' at f/8 as you say, but may probably let down with AF)

Aside of this fact, a pro could do a great job using his skill to compensate for the drawbacks of equipment and pushing its capabilities to the limit. Great light, reflectors, maybe a few flashes and we can start working some magic before it gets too dark. On an average, crappy, rainy day in a cheap venue good luck with the kit lens on 10 year old entry level crop. I'd be wanting my f/1.4 primes to hide the s*** and do something interesting while battling to get those few photons in. Without experience and no idea you would be setting up yourself for some potential cockup even with more expensive gear. People have very different abilities, and I sadly heard a story about a guy who tried to do weddings with 5D3 using ISO 6400 in broad daylight and wondered why it was so bad...

I disagree strongly with getting a list of locations off the Bride and groom. That's our job. It's very rare that suggestions the bride and groom give us are anything other than a bit crap. Find good light. Open shade will be your friend. On a dull day use it to brighten things up a bit and make things less flat. On a Sunny day use it to soften things a bit.

With the right light you'll not need reflectors or flash.

I shot my first wedding two months ago, I could probably count on two hands how many photos that included people in the frame I've taken before that day. Would I recommend that approach? Not in a million years, but as long as the couple are happy with that and know precisely what they're signing up for, it's certainly a fast way to learn!

http://www.chrisharrisonphotography.com/blog/2014/6/5/kim-john-may-30th-2014

Were they perfect? Of course not, nowhere near, but the key to getting through the day was kit I was comfortable with. I thought long and hard about renting a 24-70 2.8, flash etc for the day, but by far the best decision I made was sticking with my 35mm 1.4, a lens I love, feel utterly comfortable with and can instinctively frame shots with my eye before lifting the camera up to it. It's no good having better/different kit if you don't know how to use it (I've never used flash, so it would've been insane to use one at a wedding), if you've shot for years with a nifty fifty there should be absolutely no reason why that wouldn't make a great wedding lens for a huge percentage of your shots in my opinion (90% of my photos were taken with a 35mm prime)

As for the day itself, it was utterly terrifying, stressful, tiring, pretty much the opposite of why I took up photography as a hobby (I really can't emphasise that point enough, for many people there is no quicker way to ruin a hobby than to turn into a job)..but the feeling a week later when I delivered the photos and sat down with the bride, groom and parents and saw the tears of happiness...it made every second of it worthwhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
A friend of mine took a guy along as a second shooter who wanted experience. My friend said that he doesn't use flash in the church and sometimes would use ISO as high as 6400 inside (he shoots on a 1D). The guy mustn't have heard the 'sometimes' part and shot everything at 6400 on his Canon 7d when he really could've used around 800 or 1000! Then outside the church he didn't put the ISO down and instead ramped up his shutter and aperture! An important lesson was learned, and thankfully he had the good sense to experience his first wedding as a second shooter!

In my opinion, the 5D3 has incredible noise handling capability, I'd happily shoot at ISO 6400 or even 12800 all day long. I've shot handheld stuff in nightclubs in low light with 70-200mm before which I wouldn't dream of doing without flash on most other cameras. The 7D on the other hand rarely goes above ISO 1600 because it just looks horrible.

I don't think we disagree fundamentally 'Go for it' as long as you're doing it for free to gain knowledge.:)

this is exactly what i meant, should have elaborated more!

But if you're really suggesting that 'go for it' as in 'start advertising your services' is OK, the that's worse than misguided. :confused:
i agree :)

We'll have to disagree there . But its not arrogant, no more then your dismal of my sentiments is simply foolish ;) You see.

I've neve seen his work, but I'm going to read between the lines (a skill I amazed you seem to lack) and bet that by the nature of that question there is no 'pedigree'.

I stand by my statement, just 'going or it' would be silly.

BTW I'd love to see your portfolio. It seems like every person who shoots weddings (including me) likes the possible SEO benefit of adding a signature.

I find your lack of faith disturbing....... ;) see the above post re the go for it statement. as for the no pedigree thats conjecture. theres no proof either way. Your not ready statement is like if you have to ask you cant afford it, its just not helpful in any way whatsoever, surely you can see that?

Re seeing my portfolio (or lets wave or willys at each other ) sure, heres my sites link (its not finished as i keep redesigning it) i don't use it currently for advertise myself as all my stuff is word of mouth so adding a sig i've no interest in. I do send it to customers who ask though. Re the sig... cant see one on yours either....

www.ttpgp.co.uk

I find your lack of faith disturbing....... ;) see the above post re the go for it statement. as for the no pedigree thats conjecture. theres no proof either way. Your not ready statement is like if you have to ask you cant afford it, its just not helpful in any way whatsoever, surely you can see that?

Re seeing my portfolio (or lets wave or willys at each other ) sure, heres my sites link (its not finished as i keep redesigning it) i don't use it currently for advertise myself as all my stuff is word of mouth so adding a sig i've no interest in. I do send it to customers who ask though. Re the sig... cant see one on yours either....

www.ttpgp.co.uk

Its very disturbing, but not entirely unjustified (not from you, but from previous posters on occasion). I can't see that and rather then go round in circles then as I said we'll have to agree to disagree.

BTW my signature, as with every other poster appears in the first post I make on a page. Post 50 on this page.

Its very disturbing, but not entirely unjustified (not from you, but from previous posters on occasion). I can't see that and rather then go round in circles then as I said we'll have to agree to disagree.

BTW my signature, as with every other poster appears in the first post I make on a page. Post 50 on this page.

nice websites :) your work is very nice too :)

Google ranking isn't the best way to get work I find - it's never even occurred to me to add a signature. Most of our work comes from word of mouth and wedding blogs, after that from facebook and pinterest.

Here's us.

Back