Welcome to Hell

KayJay

Give us a Tena
Edit My Images
Yes
St Peters' Seminary, Cardross. I had the fortune of meeting the architect at a recent Scottish design awards ceremony.

It's a shame to see the building in the state it is since it was decommissioned by the Catholic church. Here it is as it stands now. It's still spectacular.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Would it help if I posted the large images instead?

Either I need more exciting thread titles or post pictures of nude women to get a response lol.

nice shots, in this day and age I cant help wonder why it hasn't been razed and new flats erected...but seriously I think that 2 and 4 do it for me Kayjay, almost alien like as per your post...i think that scapes like these actually look better with no people in them and unloved.

ohh brings back memories... Like number 4

shame the place has loads of tagging about.. great place for a shoot and will need to get back soon.

Here is a shot I took almost a year ago, doesn't look as though its changed much :clap:

main.php

Hey KayJay

Like you I have visited St Peters and been saddened by the state of the building.
I like No. 4 best, i like how there is an illuminated feeling to it. The other shots I feel are a bit too dark in the dark areas and quite blown in the light areas, if that makes sense?

What's No. 7, is it a speed camera? Looks funky :)

Cheers
Susan

I like them, very atmospheric.

Thanks, it is a very spooky place but also very endearing some how.

nice shots, in this day and age I cant help wonder why it hasn't been razed and new flats erected...but seriously I think that 2 and 4 do it for me Kayjay, almost alien like as per your post...i think that scapes like these actually look better with no people in them and unloved.

The reason it's not been taken down is because it is now a Category A listed building, which means its protected. It's also listed as one of the top 100 most important modernist buildings on the planet. There have been talks of it being bought and raised to build luxury flats but I think people would rather see it refurbished and regenerated. It really was a fantastic building when it opened.

ohh brings back memories... Like number 4

shame the place has loads of tagging about.. great place for a shoot and will need to get back soon.

Here is a shot I took almost a year ago, doesn't look as though its changed much :clap:

A lot of people are going there now to do photography shoots but so far no one in my opinion has done the place justice. It's a challenging location now and very dangerous. There is a lot of fire damage in some parts of the building which I think is recent.

Hey KayJay

Like you I have visited St Peters and been saddened by the state of the building.
I like No. 4 best, i like how there is an illuminated feeling to it. The other shots I feel are a bit too dark in the dark areas and quite blown in the light areas, if that makes sense?

What's No. 7, is it a speed camera? Looks funky :)

Cheers
Susan

Thanks Susan, I think I know what you are saying. I did some processing on those images to give it a cold sharp feeling but may have overdone it a little on some of them. Image number 7 is the platform security cameras at Cardross train station; the station you get off at to go to the seminary :) It's aout 40 minute train journey west of Glasgow.

Thanks for the feedback so far :)

I've written an article about this place for a local alternative culture webzine which you can read if interested.

Yes. I said that in my previous post ;) It's Category A. That's partly why no one can build flats on it.

Back