Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
Think I've not posted any to this thread before. Shot a couple of welding glass LEs last year with glass that was about 9-10 stops. Colour cast wasn't too bad on that but I wanted more than 30 seconds in daylight so picked up a new, even darker piece. Turns out it's closer to 13-14 stops, giving me a couple of minutes or more, depending on conditions. Here's some results from recent outings.

Concrete Criss-Cross

South Parade Pier

Jutting Out

Helps to live by the sea - even if the clouds aren't playing there's always a shot to be had in the water.

Well this thread is a great find! I have my welding glass at home and a spare UV filter to glue it to tonight. Then Saturday I will be up and away, completely inspired by this thread!

This kind of long exposure photography is something I have always wanted to do, but the cost of filter is ridiculous! For a piece of glass!

Anyway, epic shots guys, can't wait to get out!

One question though, how can I screw it one, once focused etc, without buggering up the focus?

Carefully :)

or put it into a cokin square filter holder then you can drop the filter into the holder

Think I've not posted any to this thread before. Shot a couple of welding glass LEs last year with glass that was about 9-10 stops. Colour cast wasn't too bad on that but I wanted more than 30 seconds in daylight so picked up a new, even darker piece. Turns out it's closer to 13-14 stops, giving me a couple of minutes or more, depending on conditions. Here's some results from recent outings.

Concrete Criss-Cross

South Parade Pier

Jutting Out

Helps to live by the sea - even if the clouds aren't playing there's always a shot to be had in the water.

The third shot is a stunner!!

Going from the first page to page 35 looks like welding glass technique has come a long way! Some of these are fantastic and I wouldn't have guessed they'd not been used with a £100+ ND filter

Ordered my piece off eBay but can't wait to give this a try, is there any shops such as wicks or b&q etc that might stock welding glass?

Its good fun, ebay or amazon are your best best as they are way cheaper than places like b and q or wickes.

I've just took these today with a shade 8 piece of welding glass. Both between 1-2 minute exposures.

And

Nick

Its good fun, ebay or amazon are your best best as they are way cheaper than places like b and q or wickes.

I've just took these today with a shade 8 piece of welding glass. Both between 1-2 minute exposures.

Nick

I know but I'm impatient haha

One thing I want to do is take pics of say buildings and make the people in the way disappear, what kind of exposure lengths should I be looking at to get rid of them?

Can anyone recommend a decent free nd filter calculator for android? Still waiting for my glass to turn up!

Download "DOF Calculator" it has the option to tell it what your current settings are, the strength ND filter you're adding then it will calculate the exposure time.

SO whats the best way people have attached these to the lens?

I've got a cheap UV filter so i was thinking superglue the filter to the glass then seal the outside edge between the glass and filter with bluetack to stop light.

Or has anyone got any less destructive ways?

what grade glass are people using as just ordered a 13 but thinking that's going to be very dark??

I've got a shade 10 already, and will soon order a shade 8 plus a couple of cokin adaptor rings to tape/glue to each bit of glass.

Then i'll get out there and give them a go! :)

I had to take an inconel job to be welded the other week. Got chatting to the welder anyway it resulted in me walking away with 3 free different shades of welding glass I took them out to have a go the other day and this is what I came up with.

farm house weldingglass1 by ben_wtrs79, on Flickr

my only problem was I was limited to 30 second because I made the school boy error of leaving my remote at home

Some great photos here chaps, glad to see this is still going strong.

I nipped out with my shade 12 yesterday about 5pm and it was overcast.

Gave up when a 6 minute exposure resulted in a shot that was still so underexposed you could barely see anything. So have ordered a lighter shade 8 and will see how that goes. I figure the 12 is about a 15 stopper!!

Back