Went buying today :)

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
For a while now I've thought about moving away from the Olympus system over to one of the 'big two'. I love my E420, really do - but I bought it last November when I didn't have a clue about SLR's, didn't know what an f number was or anything like that and certainly didn't realise that the Oly has a relatively tiny upgrade/accessories path compared to a Nikon or Canon...

So, yesterday I sold my car for the princely sum of £1,000 - so that was my new camera budget. I had considered many cameras - the D90/D5000 (I've had a Nikon D70 on loan from the wife's stepdad the past couple of weeks and found it very nice), and the 40D, 50D, waiting for a 60D...

Anyway, this morning I decided on a 500D - why not... and then I looked on Camerapricebuster and saw that Jessops were doing the Sigma 105 for £250! :eek: Now, I've got the 35mm macro on the Oly and used the Tamron 90mm macro on the Nikon and loved the extra reach - and I've seen some stunning photos from the Sigma so that was a no-brainer - besides I'd not seen it under £320 before...

Anyway, I'm rambling. I got the wife to run to the local Jessops at lunch and get the stuff put aside for me, then after work I went in and bought the Canon 500D kit and Sigma 105 :D
Not had time to play as all the light has gone today but I'm looking forward to experimenting tomorrow...

One thing I did notice though - that kit 18-55 lens is a nasty, nasty feeling cheap bit of tat compared to the Oly's kit 14-42. No idea if it takes a great picture, but the lens feels horrid!

Other first impressions - the Canon feels tiny - I thought my E420 was supposed to be small but the Canon certainly doesn't 'feel' bigger to me... also, the screen on the Canon is absolutely gorgeous :)

Can't wait to get playing! :D

Well done on your purchase.
You'll be surprised how good the Canon 18-55IS is for a cheap kit lens.

Heh, i thought that as well, the zoom even sticks a little but when you see the results, and how effective the IS system is, you will soon forget about the cheap feel.

Heh, i thought that as well, the zoom even sticks a little but when you see the results, and how effective the IS system is, you will soon forget about the cheap feel.

I'm just pleased that that and the Sigma both have 58mm filter threads - I would have cried if my B+W 10 stopper didn't fit :(

In the throws of buying a new camera myself and just came upon this wee lens...rather a good price me thinks...

http://www.bestpricedbrands.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=991

It one to put on the buy it list...

Edit: opinion changed after looking up that company. Avoid them.

Good price, shame it's a scam site. It's also a shame none of my local jessops have any of these awesome deals left.

I laughed when I read you sold your car for a camera. That's dedication! ;)

I laughed when I read you sold your car for a camera. That's dedication! ;)

Heh - not quite that dedicated :)
I have a motorbike and did have the car. I take the bike to work each day, the car had done 4,000 miles in 2 years. My wife also has a car, much newer than mine was and she gets the bus to work each day as she works in a city centre and it's cheaper to bus it!

Anyway - my car was almost worthless and the tax and MoT were up at the end of the month and it's just dead money so I thought I'd cash in.

Which was nice, because it meant I could go out and buy the new camera I'd been thinking of, and I can now sell my Oly stuff whilst still having a camera (if you see what I mean)...

But yes - a '98 BMW 318ti Sport for a Canon 500D and Sigma 105... funny swap :LOL:

Hope you enjoy it. I bought mine in June and find the landscape shots are a bit on the "soft" side. Perhaps it's the extra 5m pixels in a small sensor. I would be grateful for your thoughts once you have had a chance to use it

My local store has one of the Sigma 105's in stock, just what I did not need, another excuse to spend money!!!!! :)

My local store has one of the Sigma 105's in stock, just what I did not need, another excuse to spend money!!!!! :)

Now I can say 'do it!'

From the 'evil thingie' thread in the macro forum...
My first shots with the new gear!

3820358545_e09357e5d8.jpg

3821168608_3126cc8a8e.jpg

In the throws of buying a new camera myself and just came upon this wee lens...rather a good price me thinks...

http://www.bestpricedbrands.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=991

It one to put on the buy it list...

I have this lens and its an amazing quality lens. A great intro to the land of "L" lenses.
I haven't checked other sites for prices but Onestop digital have it for £447.06 with free postage. Delivery time usually around 3 days.
You could also take advantage of their price-match scheme.
http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_26&products_id=83

SORRY ALL...

MY FAULT...I POSTED THE 'Best Priced Brands' site for the lens...

I had been trawling for quite a while at the lens prices...and it looked good...woooops

STEVIER

Back