West Burton Falls at Autumn

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
Took a trip out this weekend with @minnnt for some northern National Park capers. The weather was pretty revolting at times, but allowed us to hit some Wensleydale waterfalls, before heading over to the Lake District for a wild camp.
The autumn colours were pretty strong, and I opted for a five minute exposure for this shot, to allow the leaves to form a full swirl in the water.
I quite like how this fills the frame, and the long exposure allows for the light to bring out the colours in the trees to the top of frame.

21876662064_1dd6c292cf_h.jpg

Cracking image beautifully executed.(y)

Love the colours and swirl - but I would crop off 20%-25% of the bottom. The bottom of the waterfall is about half way down the frame - and I think it looks better with the middle of the waterfall there.

Cracking image beautifully executed.(y)

Thanks very much Steve. It came out much as I hoped, though its always a bit of a lottery at that length of exposure haha!

Love the colours and swirl - but I would crop off 20%-25% of the bottom. The bottom of the waterfall is about half way down the frame - and I think it looks better with the middle of the waterfall there.

Thank you, I had considered cropping closer, but I liked the slight colour patterns at the bottom left, which I felt kinda helped to balance the colour in the image. I'll have a look at alternate crops when Im back in Lightroom!

Cool cinematic approach in mythical character of a scene only known by
and where no one else than Merlin could honour of his presence.

Pretty but I think a little shadow recovery is in order, the contrast is just a bit too much to sit right. Try playing with the Shadows/Highlights tool in PS and bring the shadows back using a large radius, it would be worth cloning out that patch of sky in the top left while you're at it

The black hole whirlpool looks sweet. Nicely done. :)

Cheers buddy. Kept me quiet for 5 minutes at least!!

Cool cinematic approach in mythical character of a scene only known by
and where no one else than Merlin could honour of his presence.

Thanks man, I hadn't thought about it like that - but thanks

Pretty but I think a little shadow recovery is in order, the contrast is just a bit too much to sit right. Try playing with the Shadows/Highlights tool in PS and bring the shadows back using a large radius, it would be worth cloning out that patch of sky in the top left while you're at it

Thanks - That sky does need to go. I'll have a look at lifting, but I wanted to keep the contrast quite high to accentuate the lights and darks, some of the shadow areas were pretty pitch black, so theyll have to stay!
Thanks for the helpful feedback though!!

A wide crop taking off the bottom would suit this just upto the swirl. I'm normally a fan of detail and can see the comments regarding shadow recovery being valid, but sometimes its best to embrace shadows and let the contrast just work.

Very nice but again I would crop off from the bottom up to the swirl and also some off the LHS. I would also remove the sky. Nice autumn colour.

Back