What a Difference a Day Makes...

Ambermile

A Whole Lot of Sparkle..
Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
Here's a couple of pictures then, the first was taken two days ago on the morning walk with big dog, the second taken on yesterday's morning walk... as you can see we had a bit more snow over Saturday night :D

I rather liked both of these, the frst I wanted to try and get a warm feel from an originally cold picture, and with the second... well to tell the truth I went for pretty! Both pictures are ones I would not have even considered taking before I was helped here to sort out why my RAW pics were always fuzzy. Here's to the future and sharp images again!

Oh - Nikon D1x, Sigma 28-200 zoom thing for both, #2 was manual focus.

DSC_0043-800.jpg

DSC_0016-800.jpg

Arthur

I prefer the 2nd personally but would probably have trimmed about 3/4" off the bottom level with where the second stem from the bottom comes in from the LHS.

Ah - to emphasise the river aspect? Good idea - now I look at it, that area is pretty much wasted space anyway...

Arthur

** Edit - I tried but it then makes the sky at the top look odd, the two areas almost balance each other...

Last edited:
I like both, don't really have a favourite of the two since they show completely different concepts really, depends on mood I think.

What did you sort out with raw and sharpness? I'm intrigued.

Bit too much dark stuff in the first one for me and it does look over sharpened (lots of little halos around the twigs against the sky)

second one is a nicer composition and whilst that one may be over sharpened too .... it does not show as much with the lighter colours.

Hi Robert, that is compreession artefacting - there's no sharpening in these images, in fact -see next comment - none in any of my pics. I do compress rather heavily since I found out that my pictures are all public domain once they go to PhotoBucket and anyone can print them off! If they want decent resolution they can get in touch I reckon.

Hi Squark - the issue centred around my choice of processing tools really, here's the thread which helped me sort things:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=191386

Surprising, since I have always used PI and never had issues before but you can clearly see the problem as well as the reason for it!

Arthur

If you are worried about such things I'd suggest watermarking them rather than spoiling them!

Maybe Robert, I sort of do it automatically now as part of the workflow. I hate the big copyright signes and writing all over the place though but you may be right and it's the lesser of the two evils.

Arthur

Thanks MM - Why is it do you think that we only appreciate what we have around us when we start taking photographs of it? We have been walking big dog there for nearly three years!

Arthur

Back