What camera

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of upgrading from my Nikon D90 to the D7100, on reading reviews I came across a article that said crop sensor cameras will soon be a thing of the past. Has anybody read or heard anything about this? I can't see this being too soon but it makes me wonder whether to bite the bullet and make the more expensive leap to full frame!

Maybe maybe not, there's lots of rumours, like canon promising a replacement of the 100-400mm lens. :(:confused:
If they get rid of their cropped sensor cameras, they would have to significantly reduce the price of their full frame cameras. Personally I can't see this happening in the next 5 or 10 years or even longer.

As for crop over full frame, as a action (aviation, Motorsport's) and wildlife photographer, I prefer the cropped camera. If I was taking landscapes and studio shots, then it would be full frame. So it depends what you take photos of and can afford, but personally I'd rather invest in lenses than a new body.

What do you feel you are lacking with your current camera body that you feel you have to replace it?

Thinking of upgrading from my Nikon D90 to the D7100, on reading reviews I came across a article that said crop sensor cameras will soon be a thing of the past.
Very unlikely.. some article says this, some article says that.. take 'em all with a pinch of salt.

Buy what you need or buy what you want, but if you're buying to "upgrade" know what it is you've got and what you're planning to get, and have a really good think as to whether it's better for you than what you've got already.

Thinking of upgrading from my Nikon D90 to the D7100, on reading reviews I came across a article that said crop sensor cameras will soon be a thing of the past. Has anybody read or heard anything about this? I can't see this being too soon but it makes me wonder whether to bite the bullet and make the more expensive leap to full frame!

No matter what might be speculated upon on the net I think that there'll be a market for APS-C, MFT and other smaller than 35mm formats for quite some time as for some people these smaller systems give clear advantages over larger systems and not only in their smaller form factor. "Crop factor" springs to mind and could well be viewed as an advantage for people taking pictures of birds or bugs etc.

Personally I'd ignore thoughts of APS-C becoming extinct and just buy the kit that's right for me.

Thanks for the replies everybody. Pete, I mainly photograph wildlife and landscapes , as for why I want to change i've had the D90 5years and feel that the technology has improved and now I've started looking and read reviews about how much better the D7000 and D7100 are over the D90 it fuelled my curiosity. (n)

The D90 was a great camera, but the D7100 is a good step up in almost every way. I've owned both.

The problem with crop cameras is that they rarely utilise the best features of the best full frame cameras, and autofocus can be a step down from the semi-pro SLRs. The new Canon 7D Mark II looks like it will be an amateur wildlife photographer's dream, with autofocus rivalling the 1Dx, but I'd never advocate changing system unless you're aware of the costs involved. The D7100 is certainly no slouch in that department, so it'll be a nice upgrade.

Back