What can i do better?

Please don't take this the wrong way

try getting it right in camera first and not rely on editing so much

I think I would prefer it with the orchid more central and enlarged a bit more so as to reduce the impact of the other components.

But I think it could be made into quite a good picture with reasonable editing.

Just another aspect for you to consider.

How about including a prop? Eg if you do a picture of a slipper orchid then include a slipper.

I suggest this because no matter how technically good your images are you still need something to make them stand out.

i find taking pictures of flowers hard as I prefer to see them and take pictures growing in a natural environment. The number of times I have set up a camera on a tripod with remote shutter release and everything in focus. Just about to take the picture and along comes a puff of wind to make it move.
Think I will have to invest in a "glamp?" to hold the stem steady.

One of my poor efforts of a tulip

Told you i don't find flowers easy to photograph so the pic of the orchids is far better than what i can do. My problem is getting DOF correct

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I think we live in a world where what you see in mags and on the web must have been manipulated.

The original is here.View attachment 27698
For me, the composition is wrong, but mainly, the lighting is very poor. I would have liked to see the main flower in the centre of the frame. Closer into the frame too. Its nothing to do with manipulation.. In fact, whenever I shoot flower macros they are the shots that require minimal PP, and thats mainly because as raws, they have to be 'developed'. A couple of mine to show what I mean...

Firestone copse wet leaf by Odd Jim, on Flickr

flower 6 19th Mar by Odd Jim, on Flickr

Red flower by Odd Jim, on Flickr

Were you using a macro lens?

Last edited:
i find taking pictures of flowers hard as I prefer to see them and take pictures growing in a natural environment. The number of times I have set up a camera on a tripod with remote shutter release and everything in focus. Just about to take the picture and along comes a puff of wind to make it move.
Think I will have to invest in a "glamp?" to hold the stem steady.

One of my poor efforts of a tulip

Told you i don't find flowers easy to photograph so the pic of the orchids is far better than what i can do. My problem is getting DOF correct

This is exactly why I always leave the tripod at home, especially when shooting macros! I don't know why there is this convention to use tripods. In fact, I only ever get mine out when I'm doing astro!

Back