Beginner what can i do now?

Name
Paul Mitchell
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure exaclty where to post this and not really sure how to work it.

Im by no means a beginner, but im by no means really good, i get some good images but more "average" than good, and at times i feel peopls happy snaps with a smart fone are better..

i think my main issue is gettign images to "pop" or look deep, i do a fair bit of walking so alot of country side shots, but i do like to take pics of most things Birds (winged type) and cars are my main love.

unfortunately qworking shifts means i cant really get to any classes or groups enough to make it worth paying any subscription fees etc, so are there any online courses that are worth doing?

iv recently treated myself to a new camera setup, just need a better lens or 2 now which im saving for..

my kit includes,

d7100,
sb-910
Nikon Kit lens 18-105 (from my d90)
nikon 50mm 1.8 with reversal ring for macro
sigma ( i think off hand) 70-300
Nikon 18-35
tripod(s)
and a few other odds and sods

You have some good gear for sure!!

Not entirely sure about what you're asking, could you post some sample images to show the issues you're having?

The best way to learn imo is to watch lots of YouTube videos then have a go at what you've just watched. It worked really well for me.

cool thanks for that il give them a watch later today, il also try and put up a couple of images iv taken recently too, as i seem to kill them in PS afterwards as not always sure best way to "improve" them.

A few of them are below (not brill as there downloaded from FB to my fone, then emailed to my works email), if i get chance il re do them today when im at home, the horse and wedding dress is my ball and chain and the other couple are close friends of ours who wanted a few candid shots of the weddig they had some pros there thankfully ..

1 - the original

View attachment 17058

2 - messing about in ps nothing i really like about it colour wise, may try a B&W version

View attachment 17055
3 - this was just cropped down in PS quite happy with this but please give crit - couple from the wedding we were at

View attachment 17057

4 - i quite like this but think focusing needs work (seem to have focus issues on alot of my images :( )

View attachment 17059

View attachment 17056

i was stood at the back of crowd with camera in the air so didnt think was bad, but again OOF

these are just a few iv recemtly taken, il try get some country side shots up aswell from the lakes

Hi Paul. Try and upload the original saved file to Flickr as that will give you a fairer chance of showing your images.

With regards to focussing, have you tried the micro focus adjust in the menu?

The portrait has a lacklustre background and the woman has a light growing out of her head so just keep an eye on you backgrounds and your subjects relation to it. The first is much better than the edited version also.

Watch some bids on YT and you'll improve no end. I did. :)

I found one of the best ways to get better pictures is to look at the images posted on here of the same subject that interests you, for instance 'photos-motorsport' so you can aspire to take similar quality shots and use some of them as your 'benchmark'. The beauty of the forum is you can ask the person who took it advice on how to obtain the look/settings/filters/etc. This + some YouTube tutorials is a zero cost method on the road to improvement.

Horse and wedding dress image is nice and has possibilities but I'm sorry the processing is terrible, over saturated, over sharpened and looks like you've played with a HDR package and set all the sliders to max. The wedding dress instead of being white is now grey.

The couple shots, the first has the pose all wrong for the lady it doesn't look comfortable, it makes her look awkward. You also have to try to look out for objects behind, although in this case it would be remove able in post production.

The last image at the wedding is again a nicely composed image, good depth of field, but the processing isn't sympathetic. Immediately I'm drawn the the grooms red neck. Again looks like you've gone too far.

I think you're confusing 'pop' with sharpening and saturation.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Also whereabouts are you? If you like cars we may be able to suggest locations or places to shoot cars

just set up a flickr accoutn so will get some pics uploaded to that over the weekend along side doing total warrior :confused:, im located in north leeds/alwoodley.

Thanks for the critique too, the pose was just a snap shot really as she was just perched on his knee,

il upload the origionals 1st then see what people suggest..i think your right im getting lost with POP and "destroying" my images :(

Byker's comments on the pictures are spot-on.
There is no need to MAX the sliders in a vague attempt at "pop". Take your times, selectively improve areas of the photos : for example Number 1 has a rather nice stock country background, no need to watercolour it. (And "Which Way Mum" is a question, and requires a questionmark and also implies they are blood related.)
Be careful not to overdo flesh tones,
and if the picture begins life out of focus : just bin it ;
find out why your camera & lens missed focus and improve for next time.
Frankly a girl in a wedding dress with a horse is photography GOLD : don't fudge it up.

Stop messing around with processing. That's not, nor ever will be the answer.

i think my main issue is gettign images to "pop" or look deep,

Good photography = good lighting. Being a good photographer is a result of being a good photographer, not good at editing. Looks to me like at the moment, you're just using the the camera as a recording device, and expecting all the good stuff to come from processing.

Learn about lighting, exposure, and learn to think more creatively. Photography is just speaking with pictures.... so start thinking about what you want to say.

iv recently treated myself to a new camera setup, just need a better lens or 2 now which im saving for..

my kit includes,

d7100,
sb-910
Nikon Kit lens 18-105 (from my d90)
nikon 50mm 1.8 with reversal ring for macro
sigma ( i think off hand) 70-300
Nikon 18-35
tripod(s)
and a few other odds and sods

You've got a decent camera and all focal lengths from 18 to 300mm.. why do you need 2 more lenses?

Better gear will not make your photography better. You need practice, study and skill.

If you can't commit to courses, then just read stuff on the internet. You don't really need to pay for a course... everything you need to know is available online for free. The hard part is the dedication and practice, and avoiding the beginner's trap of thinking the most important part is "post processing". It's not... that's bull****. A great photo doesn't need any post processing. It can be improved with careful, and TASTEFUL processing, but it would still be great without any.

Flat lighting.. mid day sun behind you.... boring light. Try lower, softer, warmer evening light. Try diffused light from an overcast day.... try anything, but mid day sun over your shoulder is probably the least flattering, most boring kind of light imaginable. Learn about lighting.. Light is the most important aspect of photography. Photography as a word is a contraction of two Greek words for "light" and "drawing". You are drawing with light.... light is your MOST important tool. Not a computer... and believe it or not... not even your camera.

2 - messing about in ps nothing i really like about it colour wise, may try a B&W version

View attachment 17055

No.. it's boring, and no amount of processing will change that. The lighting is crap, and no amount of processing will change that.

3 - this was just cropped down in PS quite happy with this but please give crit - couple from the wedding we were at

View attachment 17057

So you were going for the whole devil's horns poking out of her head look? Pay attention to the background.. in fact, pay attention to EVERYHING in the frame. Be aware also that cropping reduces quality quite dramatically. Frame images as you intend them to be instead of cropping them post process.

4 - i quite like this but think focusing needs work (seem to have focus issues on alot of my images :( )

View attachment 17059

That may not a focus issue... the crop you've given it may be affecting sharpness.(see above). Also.. look at that processing... the centre of her dress is grey. These halo effect you're getting is because you're over processing. What made you think this needs any kind of processing? Great light makes great images, and great locations.. and great composition (which also avoids the need to crop everything). Processing is not the answer.

View attachment 17056

i was stood at the back of crowd with camera in the air so didnt think was bad, but again OOF

That's not out of focus, it's motion blur, made worse by the severe crop you've given it. Stop cropping, and learn about shutter speeds and exposure.

Start here....

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...ure-theory-but-were-afraid-to-ask-101.440126/

If you already know, or are aware of all this, then you still need to start thinking about what actually makes a great photograph. Subject, lighting, composition, and emotion.

Look at great images from past masters... look at what makes them so lasting and timeless. It's all of these things.

By far the biggest mistake beginners make in this digital age, is to try and skip the camera skills and rely on post processing. While you say you're not a beginner.. you seem to have already gone down this path. I would suggest that you're still a beginner. Sorry... but your images suggest this is the case. Just stop processing your shots so much.. in fact, while you are learning, try not processing them at all! If the shot is not working in camera, then what do you expect processing to do? It can't change the light; It can't change whether it's sharp; and it certainly can't change the subject matter. You're trying to learn to be a photographer, not a digital artist. From it's invention in 1826 (approx) to the inception of the digital photography age in the 80s and 90s... photographers have been creating amazing, stunning and thought provoking images without computers. Why assume anything has changed?

Leave off with the processing... frames and borders... silly text... all of that... none of this makes your images any better. You're fiddling, and avoiding the fact that you need to do some reading, studying, practising and some hard work. Photography is a skill, and like most skills they are hard won, and there are no short cuts.

Sorry if that's harsh, but you need to hear it, and most in here are far too polite to just say it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMN
View attachment 17636 Look at what you are photographing. Candles growing out of the head are not acceptable that is just basic photography.Try to forget about HDR and complicated procedures keep it simple and then when you have got the basics start to add the HDR ect when you need it.

Last edited:
Sorry if that's harsh, but you need to hear it, and most in here are far too polite to just say it.

No i apreciate your comments all of them ;) and i will certaily take note of them, and hope to "improve" my photograhy rather than my editing ;)

Just shoot loads, read loads, and above all... keep getting crit on your images.

Most scenarios to bring an image to life will be the light....I'm no landscaper photographer but I do know you can't just rock up and take shot..you need to try different times of day...look for nice dramatic clouds. You can plan for everything but the bloody weather plays the major part to the shot. Probably why i don't like landscape photography to be fair.:thinking:

View attachment 17636 Look at what you are photographing. Candles growing out of the head are not acceptable that is just basic photography.Try to forget about HDR and complicated procedures keep it simple and then when you have got the basics start to add the HDR ect when you need it.

an easy fix in PP, better not to include distractions in the original shot though, as said Practice take lots of shots it free after all, thank God for the digital age

quick edit in CS 5, took 3 mins, not perfect just an example of what can be done

Les ;)

Back