What car do you drive?

Mathew that just reminded me I was behind a Range Rover yesterday and it had a sticker on the back window saying " You might be fast but I can go anywhere" .

Until my Mrs stops hitting every curb and bollard, and the kids stop tipping drinks melting chocolate on the seats and the occasional vomit. I'll stick with my taty old cmax.

What car do you drive and what made you pick that model as I am in the market for a used car.

I will start the thread by saying I am focused on BMW 3 litre diesel 3 maybe 4 or 5 series had a few now and not found anything to compare to the bullet proof engine and it's performance and fuel efficiency for a 6 cylinder block.
The drive is also something special with a very solid feel and a super comfy ride.
I think you'll find it hard to switch...Those engines are hard if not impossible to beat by about anyone. Possibly the only thing coming close in refinement and driveability is a Mercedes C or E with the 350CDI (twin turbo) and airmatic suspension...

Possibly a Jaguar XF...but I have no experience with those...

I drive 2 because no one car can do what I want of it.

I want a large car that's easy to park

I want a big petrol V8 that sounds awesome and does at least 50mpg

I want a fabulous piece of design that looks amazing, but no one gives a second glance at.

I want something I can keep in immaculate condition, but park in Sainsbury's where it will get scratched, dented and generally abused.

No such car exists.

Buy a £1000 piece of crap with a 1 litre engine for the daily grind, and then save up for something you actually want for weekends.

Whenever you see people's requirements for cars, it's always the same. Something that fits all the kids, but still looks good... or something with power, but is still economical.... etc etc.

I drive a dull, fuel efficient, capacious, well recommended by some but slated by others, rolling bore-fest. We all do. Pick a colour and join the queue. :)

Nope. We don't. There is another way.

I drive 2 because no one car can do what I want of it.

I want a large car that's easy to park

I want a big petrol V8 that sounds awesome and does at least 50mpg

I want a fabulous piece of design that looks amazing, but no one gives a second glance at.

I want something I can keep in immaculate condition, but park in Sainsbury's where it will get scratched, dented and generally abused.

No such car exists.

Buy a £1000 piece of crap with a 1 litre engine for the daily grind, and then save up for something you actually want for weekends.

Whenever you see people's requirements for cars, it's always the same. Something that fits all the kids, but still looks good... or something with power, but is still economical.... etc etc.

Nope. We don't. There is another way.
To be fair a £1K 1L piece of crape does fit that bill ;) So if you do, then you do :p

Although you could buy a fun cheap car as well for such purposes....I got a BMW 750 V12 for £900, was perfect for such purpose and fun to drive...

All I ask is that it gets me where I want to go and is reliable, so whatever is available when I need a new one.

This, fits on the drive, fits the kids and shopping in comfy, fits the kids and all the camping gear in and is a decent long journey but is also economical and easy to park for city use.

image.jpg1_zpsq4oswpaw.jpg

To be fair a £1K 1L piece of crape does fit that bill ;) So if you do, then you do :p

Although you could buy a fun cheap car as well for such purposes....I got a BMW 750 V12 for £900, was perfect for such purpose and fun to drive...

Hardly easy to park though, JP!

XF for comfort and a fair amount of practicality (seats 5 in comfort and accepts plenty of luggage and returns 40+ MPG on the motorway), XK8 for top down fun (rather less practical and frugal but almost as comfortable.) s***box Clio for town/supermarket trips (easy to park and we don't care if some fundamental orifice opens heir door into it/drives their shopping trolley into it etc..) For even more fun than the XK, a couple of bikes.

I don't understand all the "parking issues" people seem to have...A 7 series BMW is no worse in size than your Jags, and much increased visibility than an XK8 if the XKR of a friend of mine is anything to go by...But even compared to family hatchbacks...The width is easily within a parking bay size, as is the length....Heck, same with our main family car a Mercedes GL class AMG. Sure is a big car, but no harder to find a parking space and put it in then our Golf R. I can do it with my hands off the steering wheel if I have to :p

Z3 for shorter journeys and sunny weather. 2 seats and boot large enough for a normal shop. Roof comes down if it's nice. Decent turning circle unlike the Alfa Spider it replaced which had the turning circle of the ark royal.

A6 v8 petrol auto for longer journeys, vile ghastly weather and ferrying people/stuff about. Turning circle of the Ark Royal.

Both have fully adjustable and heated leather seats and heated mirrors etc. Quality seats are very important. A lot of cars seem to have awful seats that you can't adjust for height and you just cannot get them comfortable. The spider was very uncomfortable for longer journeys due to this lack of adjustment but it was a cheap runabout when I needed it.

I'm more than happy with the way my car fits with all those, my kids are no longer kids and the car will happily seat 4 adults, 5 even. It's fast enough 0-62 in 6.5 secs, 30-50 in 2.8 secs, 50-70 in 5.1 secs, and will do 40+mpg at 70mph. Ticks all the boxes for me.
10308114_271391209707263_6129401966549897708_n.jpg

I'd happily replace it with the new RS but the thieves are more likely to want to get there hands on that than the current car.

I'm more than happy with the way my car fits with all those, my kids are no longer kids and the car will happily seat 4 adults, 5 even. It's fast enough 0-62 in 6.5 secs, 30-50 in 2.8 secs, 50-70 in 5.1 secs, and will do 40+mpg at 70mph. Ticks all the boxes for me.
10308114_271391209707263_6129401966549897708_n.jpg

I'd happily replace it with the new RS but the thieves are more likely to want to get there hands on that than the current car.

Then you're fortunate. For some, the ideal car can never be reached without a compromise.

You're still gonna get it dented in car parks though :)

I don't understand all the "parking issues" people seem to have

Never driven a S197 Mustang then have you... LOL Rear quarter visibility when parking = 0.

A few pages ago i posted that we planned to buy either a audi a3 or bmw 120/125d.
Haven't updated since then but not long after we bought a 120d drive and I've been loving it, such a change over a 1.2 corsa:woot:the torque is great.

didn't go for the audi as the sales guy was to be honest a d*ck.. we walked in with jeans and a hoody and he looked at us like you can't afford to buy a car so we left and were treated the exact opposite at the bmws garage, suffused to say we paying in full that day and got the car a few after.

Now to persuade the wife we need and m3 in 3 years:eek:

Never driven a S197 Mustang then have you... LOL Rear quarter visibility when parking = 0.
Oh they exist, but we are talking normal size cars here. Not very unique vehicles either. I mean you can put any convertible to that list as well.

But let's face you "feel" where the car end, no real need to see it. I mean I can't see my bonnet or the corners but you just know where they end don't you?

A Landrover Discovery 2 TD5 for fun... Was my daily driver until last year when I bought a Saab 9-3 sportswagon to take over commuting duties. Love them both for different reasons. Both can carry the dog, both can do tip runs, one can go anywhere, one can go fast!

TCR_7830 by Tom, on Flickr

Untitled by Tom, on Flickr

Last edited:
Oh they exist, but we are talking normal size cars here.

The Mustang is normal size... about the same size as a 5 series BMW.

But let's face you "feel" where the car end, no real need to see it.

Do you also "feel" where the small child is that you can't see as well? I'd rather have rearward visibility thanks.

The Mustang is normal size... about the same size as a 5 series BMW.

Do you also "feel" where the small child is that you can't see as well? I'd rather have rearward visibility thanks.
Oh come, why immediately bring in an edge case. But yes for over hundred years that worked just fine without technology aids, even where you can't see it. If you really have to ask how that is possible I would seriously take a deep look at how you park up.

Oh come, why immediately bring in an edge case. But yes for over hundred years that worked just fine without technology aids, even where you can't see it. If you really have to ask how that is possible I would seriously take a deep look at how you park up.

I'm not on about technology or parking aids. In fact, I never mentioned them once :). I'm talking about parallel parking in a car with extremely limited visibility from the rear side windows. The mustang hardly has any at all... just a very small rear quarter light that is also heavily tinted. It may as well not be there. It's form over function. It's like parallel parking a van. It's not even a size issue... it's a design issue. It was made to look good... everything else can go screw itself :) Which is just one of many reasons why it sucks as an every day car.

A few pages ago i posted that we planned to buy either a audi a3 or bmw 120/125d.
Haven't updated since then but not long after we bought a 120d drive and I've been loving it, such a change over a 1.2 corsa:woot:the torque is great.

didn't go for the audi as the sales guy was to be honest a d*ck.. we walked in with jeans and a hoody and he looked at us like you can't afford to buy a car so we left and were treated the exact opposite at the bmws garage, suffused to say we paying in full that day and got the car a few after.

Now to persuade the wife we need and m3 in 3 years:eek:
We went to an Audi agent a few years back wanted a price for an a4 convertible. We were in jeans and no one came near us. We left and I made sure they saw the jag and there faces were a picture.

didn't go for the audi as the sales guy was to be honest a d*ck.. we walked in with jeans and a hoody and he looked at us like you can't afford to buy
We went to an Audi agent a few years back wanted a price for an a4 convertible. We were in jeans and no one came near us.
I love these stories, a guy I know, stinking rich, dresses "scruffy" walked into a TVR garage a few years ago, and was paying a lot of attention to a particular (new) car.
the salesman sidled up to him, and said ( something like) I believe sir cannot afford this car and is just fantasying,
He reached into his jacket pocket, pulled up a massive wad of folding money, and said, I bet I am a damned sight closer to owning one than you are
especially as you have just lost your commission on this sale.
And walked out.

Never judge a book by its cover, as the saying goes ;)

Last edited:
Does it really still happen? I feel left out. Definitely don't wear anything flashy nor shave or comb my hair in the weekend but I've never been snubbed by a garage sales person.

Sure they ask what I recognise as qualifying questions, but I would do the same before investing time in anyone's requirements.

Does it really still happen? ........... I've never been snubbed by a garage sales person.
Its cause you're a Netherlander innit?
:p

I'm sure there are still a lot of these types of prejudices about though ;)

Then you're fortunate. For some, the ideal car can never be reached without a compromise.

You're still gonna get it dented in car parks though :)
Not where I park. I'm always careful where I leave it. Nice big spaces, overhang into hatched off areas and park far away from anywhere. ;)

Oh they exist, but we are talking normal size cars here. Not very unique vehicles either. I mean you can put any convertible to that list as well.

But let's face you "feel" where the car end, no real need to see it. I mean I can't see my bonnet or the corners but you just know where they end don't you?
I think I know where the ends/corners or my cars are but when I get out and look there is a lot bigger gap than I expect to find. Yet I notice quite a number of people are the complete opposite and usually hit something. My neighbours have an annoying habit of parking in the road facing the wrong way. On my previous car I ended up with a few scrapes on the front bumper where they misjudged it. Could never determine which neighbour was the culprit though as all had scrapes on their bumpers. At least with the Focus the front bumper has now corners as such as they taper back quite a bit. 16 months on, no scrapes or perhaps they have finally learnt to park.

I'm not on about technology or parking aids. In fact, I never mentioned them once :). I'm talking about parallel parking in a car with extremely limited visibility from the rear side windows. The mustang hardly has any at all... just a very small rear quarter light that is also heavily tinted. It may as well not be there. It's form over function. It's like parallel parking a van. It's not even a size issue... it's a design issue. It was made to look good... everything else can go screw itself :) Which is just one of many reasons why it sucks as an every day car.
I never look out of the rear window when parallel parking. I pull alongside the gap and quickly measure it against the length of my car, then do it all, looking in the door mirrors. As you turn in you can judge the size of the gap in the drivers mirror, you already know how big the gap is from before hand so easy to leave the car more or less in the middle of the space.

Does it really still happen? I feel left out. Definitely don't wear anything flashy nor shave or comb my hair in the weekend but I've never been snubbed by a garage sales person.

Sure they ask what I recognise as qualifying questions, but I would do the same before investing time in anyone's requirements.
I've always found it to be "Can I help you sir?"

Yes it happens.
I was with my boss a while back in a Mercedes garage doing a job, and we were in our work clothes (we pick up waste oil/garage waste so we are often dirty). Whilst we were there, he wanted to look in the showroom as he was fed up with his BMW and was looking to buy a merc. We were in there for a few minutes looking at one of the upper range cars when a lanky salesman comes over and asks if he can help. Now my boss isn't the most tactful man and can be conceived as quite rude, though he doesn't mean to be, he is just very direct and being from Kent has what some would call a "common" accent.
He just outright says "I want to take that one on a test drive". The salesman look a bit dumbstruck, and possibly either by mistake or being very rude replied, "sorry sir, only our premium clients are allowed to drive that vehicle, perhaps you'd be better off visiting the ford garage across the road."
Safe to say my boss didn't take kindly to that.
Cue a long rant about how he earns more in a day than the sales man does in a month, I could buy 3 of those and not even notice etc etc..

I was just cringing in the corner.

Strangely every time I go into a landrover dealer I still get treated with respect and politeness. I guess they are used to thier clientele looking like hobos but spending £80k on a Range Rover.

1996 purple ford feista :)

Had it since 2002 and it's been a trusty little friend to me *fingers crossed *

Yes a few years back I was looking for a volvo V70 estate, saw one in a garage and drove in, had an old car at the time.
Salesman said it had just been sold, so I asked if he would let me know when another came in, you could almost hear the paper hitting the bin
as I walked out.
Had great joy in going back a week later in a 3yo car to tell him not to bother as I had found one, the look on his face was pure magic :D

On another point, people who put pictures of their cars up, please blank out the number plate, seem to remember a recent thread about cloned plates :(

On another point, people who put pictures of their cars up, please blank out the number plate, seem to remember a recent thread about cloned plates :(
Absolutely (y)
Yes twas me that mentioned it

My car is on the road everyday with its number plate in full view. Whilst it's possible someone might clone it off the web, it's pretty unlikely.

If they do, then my trackers will prove otherwise!

My car is on the road everyday with its number plate in full view. Whilst it's possible someone might clone it off the web, it's pretty unlikely.
The Web is country / world wide though, I doubt you cover the whole country in a day day in day out.
Although to be fair, I've never put my number on the web, nor driven the 180 miles, in my car, to where the "offence" took place.

but not ever one has a tracker fitted.

Absolutely (y)
Yes twas me that mentioned it

Yep found it , did you get it sorted ?

If you haven't seen the thread
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/well-thats-a-tad-annoying.603634/#post-7064017
Probably not a local that would use the plates and as was mentioned with everything being online now someone could be driving illegally using your plates
and you'd never know until something happened

I never look out of the rear window when parallel parking. I pull alongside the gap and quickly measure it against the length of my car, then do it all, looking in the door mirrors. As you turn in you can judge the size of the gap in the drivers mirror, you already know how big the gap is from before hand so easy to leave the car more or less in the middle of the space.

As do I as there's no choice. I'm not saying I can't park it... I said it's a pain compared to the Micra. My point was... no one car is deal... so why compromise. Get two.

Mercedes:-

Discovered that their view of 'leather' is really plastic and the genuine stuff was an extra £1500, despite the test drive and talk of 'leather' by the salesman. Apparently this is common from Merc dealers.

Worthwhile watching the salesman and his manager's faces when they refused to add it to the order on the grounds of mis-description as I ripped up the misleading contract under their noses.

Audi:-

Salespersons didn't even bother coming downstairs to any of the three couples who were looking, so we went next door and bought a BMW for self and one for my wife.

;)

Back