What causes fungus in lenses ?

Edit My Images
Yes
For many years I have heard about fungus in lenses but never seen it. I recently bought a cheap secondhand lens which I has got some..!
I knew about it before I bought the lens, and was told that it didn't affect the image and so far I can't see any effect on a few test shots, but am curious as to how it gets there, how to prevent it from growing and why it happens in the first place.

So, clever folks, can you please explain ?

Ahh. Its that simple then ?

Many thanks Paul - I had assumed it might be something more complex than just that, and that it could continue to grow.

It will continue to grow if not treated, just like any fungus anywhere. I'd get the lens professionally cleaned if it is worth it.

..and thanks to you too Paul.
2 questions - anyone got any idea what it costs to get a lens cleaned (it only cost me £45..) and secondly, why is it that both answers come from people called Paul ?

If it doesn't impact IQ too greatly then I wouldn't worry about getting it cleaned, not for a lens of that value anyway :) Fungus spores are everywhere in the air, they just need the right conditions to grow in. If you are storing the lens correctly, then it won't grow any further.

Leaving the lens exposed to strong UV (sun)light for a day or more is supposedly good to kill the spores off, but the remains will still be on the lens element surface.

Regarding condensation, be careful when taking your camera indoors after its been out in the very cold. The quick change in temperature is when condensation most easily forms in side your equipment. Zipping it up in a air tight plastic bag when you go inside helps.

Depending on the lens, it may be fairly easy to clean yourself, plenty on You Tube about doing just that.

Condensation on the lens then stored in a warm place.

I believe it's not always condensation, it may just be the lens is stored in a very moisture and warm place (the ideally conditions for fungus to grow) for enough time.

If it doesn't impact IQ too greatly then I wouldn't worry about getting it cleaned, not for a lens of that value anyway :) Fungus spores are everywhere in the air, they just need the right conditions to grow in. If you are storing the lens correctly, then it won't grow any further.

I agree.

Keep your equipment in a dry moist free environment. If they ever do get wet I always leave mine in a box of rice which will absorb moisture. Also works for all electrical that have got wet!

Keep your equipment in a dry moist free environment. If they ever do get wet I always leave mine in a box of rice which will absorb moisture. Also works for all electrical that have got wet!

That sounds like an idea to remember and has reminded me of a way I used to reduce the amount of condensation in my old car - a sock filled with cat litter left on the dash would work wonders and if dried out every few days on a radiator would last for ages, or in my case, longer than the car !

Airing cupboard is better and faster than rice,which does also work.

Typically seen in non IF lenses, only a spore penetration may develop into a
nasty and destructive growth observable on the lens and on the photograph.
Experience says nothing else than: If you feel good here, your gear will be fine.

Back