What do you guys think of these?

#1 loses the window bar that's growing out of her head, as does #2 but there's far too much empty space to her right (viewers' left) and you've sliced the top of her head off. #3 has left all her head on but has the bar growing out of her head and still has too much dead space. I would lose the left 1/3 of the picture (about where the other window bar is) and crop fairly tight to the top of her head. All 3 look very cool as far as white balance goes too.

I find the picture too blue and "glarey" to focus on the composition. It kind of hurts my eyes. Sorry.

I agree with the first post and partly with the second.
The left side has to much space and the bright part draws your eye to it ( as it will always do ). Here the big open bright spot really takes the attention. I would consider a tighter crop. Other then that it's a nice shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

She is a very pretty girl, and the natural lighting is top notch (and as said above you've got the WB spot-on) but you have made the mistake of not having a long enough distance between her and the wall/partition behind her (or separated her from it by a length of continuous material, preferably inconspicuous in fabric or pattern). It is best to have plenty of distance behind the model to separate her from a distracting ground, even if you are shooting at close to full aperture to ensure shallow depth of field.

The last one is the best but you should cut the vertical beam of the window that sticks out from the top of her head. Not sure if the picture is badly focused or if it's because you've downgraded it for the web.

I'm guessing you weren't going for 'normal', which I like as a general rule - but your skin tones are pretty crazy here. I had a quick play, and just taking a lot of the blue out helps.

Regarding the crop: unless I'm going mad, the first two are identical. I prefer the tighter crop over the looser #3, and definitely wouldn't be losing any of the negative space on the left. While I was playing with the curves to sort the colour, the bright blue blobs on the left basically disappeared, which makes it a bit easier to look at I think. I'd go for a pretty much blown white to the left of frame, maybe with a little hint of the window frames left in - but much less distracting than they are now as they are such an electric blue.

Back