What is the best wide angle lens for a canon cropped sensor?

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
I have an Canon EF-S 10mm to 22mm, it is alright but, details are a bit mushy and could be a lot sharper, I shoot at 100 iso and f9 btw. Is there another lens that is of the same 10mm focal length that is sharp and not a fisheye lens that is better?

If you want 10mm there is the Sigma 10-20 but I find it a little hard to believe that would be sharper than the Canon 10-22 if your prepared to loose a little in the focal length stakes, the Tokina 11-16 is rated really highly as a lens, I seem to remember something about canon launching a replacement for the 10-22 recently but I may have just been dreaming

I used the Canon 10-22mm lens on my 550D and enjoyed it a lot. It's pricy, though, so if you're just curious you might want to save a few quid and go for the Sigma.

I had a 10-22mm and never had a problem with image quality.

If its detail throughout the frame it might be worth trying focusing manually at the correct hyperfocal distance using live view (if you have it?)
Not sure you will find anything better especially at 10mm on a crop sensor

OP, when I get home and can search my images by things like lens, aperture and ISO, I'll dig out some of my pics that match your specs; you can then decide whether it's your lens that's a bit iffy, or whether your expectations are just a bit high. (Sod's law, of course, says that of all the hundreds of shots I took with that lens, not one was f/9, ISO 100 :D )

FWIW, like Rich, I never had a problem with IQ, especially when stopped down to the middle of the aperture range.

I have an Canon EF-S 10mm to 22mm, it is alright but, details are a bit mushy and could be a lot sharper, I shoot at 100 iso and f9 btw. Is there another lens that is of the same 10mm focal length that is sharp and not a fisheye lens that is better?

No, there isn't. Canon 10-22 is as good as it gets.

If you're unhappy with it, then maybe something's amiss with either the lens or possibly your technique. Suggest post an example pic.

No, there isn't. Canon 10-22 is as good as it gets.

If you're unhappy with it, then maybe something's amiss with either the lens or possibly your technique. Suggest post an example pic.

:agree:

I have the 10-22 and, although I don't use it often, it's a great lens and I doubt that there's anything better.

The Canon 10-22mm is by far the best ultra wide for a Canon crop.

User error or damaged?

Btw, why do you only shoot at iso 100 and f/9? Do you adjust this if the conditions change? If not, maybe your shutter speed is too low and you are inducing camera shake?

Last edited:
Usually shooting on a tripod at f9 so I can get a bracket set going from -3 to +3 stops without hitting the 30 second ceiling on +3 exposure when shooting hdr with regards to architecture shots.

Gotta disagree about the Canon 10-22mm being "by far the best." The one I had disappointed me and of course it could be sample variation but for the tact that some of the reviews I've read do seem to coincide with my own experience of this lens. Of course they could have had Monday morning or Friday afternoon lenses too. The issues I had were vignetting, distortion and softness all of which can be mitigated or lived with to one extent or another but I decided that it just wasn't good enough and moved it on.

OP. There are a number of lenses in the 8/10/12-24mm type range and it might be worth looking at some reviews and trying before you buy if at all possible. Personally I replace my disappointing Canon with a Sigma 12-24mm and whilst that lens too has its critics mine performed flawlessly on my Canon 20D and later 5D.

Gotta disagree about the Canon 10-22mm being "by far the best." The one I had disappointed me and of course it could be sample variation but for the tact that some of the reviews I've read do seem to coincide with my own experience of this lens. Of course they could have had Monday morning or Friday afternoon lenses too. The issues I had were vignetting, distortion and softness all of which can be mitigated or lived with to one extent or another but I decided that it just wasn't good enough and moved it on.

OP. There are a number of lenses in the 8/10/12-24mm type range and it might be worth looking at some reviews and trying before you buy if at all possible. Personally I replace my disappointing Canon with a Sigma 12-24mm and whilst that lens too has its critics mine performed flawlessly on my Canon 20D and later 5D.
As it happens, I never really liked the Sigma 12-24 on a crop, preferring the Canon. However, I'm now looking at getting the 12-24 purely for my FF setup, but I'll be damned if I can find one at a reasonable price!

And of course now, there's the mk2 version...

Last edited:
What about the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM ? £209 from HDEW.
Plenty of praise and positive reviews out there.

I'm speaking from experience as I owned 1 for four days last week.

Last edited:
Plenty of positive praise and reviews out there.

I was just going to mention it as well, I haven't seen a bad review of it yet.

Plenty of praise and positive reviews out there.

I'm speaking from experience as I owned 1 for four days last week.
You owned it for four days?? What happened to it?

I was just going to mention it as well, I haven't seen a bad review of it yet.
The 10-18 isn't as good as the 10-22. Other than IQ and range, it doesn't have USM, though it might be preferable for video with the STM focus.

On the flip side it does have IS.

Benefits and drawbacks!

Last edited:
You owned it for four days?? What happened to it?
I thought the 4 days would raise a question ! Basically I got the lens from Amazon last Tuesday but didn't get out with it until last Friday to test it. A friend of mine tagged along for a visit to a local country park, me with my 600D and he had his 60D. We took some photos just to test then went back to my house to view them, he was on the fence about getting one but seeing the images made his mind up. To cut the rest short he was jetting off on his hols last Saturday and asked if could borrow the lens for 3 weeks........no bloody way I said, so in his eagerness to get the lens he offered me the price I paid for it. I agreed to help him out. So he paid me, took the lens and I have ordered another one from HDEW which is arriving on Tuesday.

Link to test photos, not many as I only had it a short time:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barso2014/sets/72157645877072500/

Not sure I could have parted with it :)

Those images look good.

I still love my 10-22 on my 50d, just wish I could get something as good for my 6d!

Last edited:
I own the Canon 10-22 and the Tokina 11-16, and there's a Sigma 10-20 that lives upsatirs that I have full-time borrowing rights to.

The Canon is easily the best.

The Sigma is let down by slight decentering, which makes it impossible to get the left and right sides both in focus. The Tokina is let down by terrible flare. I keep it only for astro shots (where f2.8 really does make a difference compared to f3.5).

Back