What is the cheapest full frame DSLR?

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum so please don't be cruel to an enthusiastic pensioner with a passion for taking pics. My questions might be a bit newbie!

My question is: Could anyone recommend the cheapest full frame DSLR model BODY I could buy that has RAW facilities? I don't care on age, I have never owned a full frame digital camera (apart from 35mm). I just need to know a 'ball park' figure and if the cost is affordable, I will then buy me a couple of nice lenses.

I recently bought a Nikon D5100 camera which I am very pleased with. But the image quality doesn't really compare to a full frame camera. I want to shoot dramatic landscapes to blow up to A1 and A2 size prints.

Thanks

Peter

Last edited:
I think the cheapest will probably be the Canon 5D. I have one and I think it's the best camera I've ever had, the only issue being that it's a dust magnet both sensor and optical path wise.

Ffordes have a few in stock and the cheapest is up for £469.

What is it about the IQ that you think your D5100 is not delivering that a full frame camera would?

+1. The sensor in the Nikon D5100 is an amazing sensor and if you are shooting landscapes at ISO 100 the dynamic range and details you ll get from it are amazing. I think if you really want to print big then although an expensive option, IMO the D800 is the way to go.

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum so please don't be cruel to an enthusiastic pensioner with a passion for taking pics. My questions might be a bit newbie!

My question is: Could anyone recommend the cheapest full frame DSLR model BODY I could buy that has RAW facilities? I don't care on age, I have never owned a full frame digital camera (apart from 35mm). I just need to know a 'ball park' figure and if the cost is affordable, I will then buy me a couple of nice lenses.

I recently bought a Nikon D5100 camera which I am very pleased with. But the image quality doesn't really compare to a full frame camera. I want to shoot dramatic landscapes to blow up to A1 and A2 size prints.

Thanks

Peter

A2 - that I can easily get from 1DsII. A1 - maybe 5DIII or D800 will get close with the right glass and technique.

I cannot stress how important the latter two are. Maybe D5100 or whatever is not up to super sharp A1 prints but there is no reason why it would be no good.
You should easily manage perfect A3+ for the start

Thanks everyone, it seems I will endeavour to experiment with my D5100 for the time being. I can borrow a friend's 5D for a day or so and will see if the difference is worth it or not. I will need to buy better glass than the standard 18-55mm.

Yes A1 maybe a bit too big, I'll stick to A3 for the time being and take it frtom there.

Peter

Thanks everyone, it seems I will endeavour to experiment with my D5100 for the time being. I can borrow a friend's 5D for a day or so and will see if the difference is worth it or not. I will need to buy better glass than the standard 18-55mm.

Yes A1 maybe a bit too big, I'll stick to A3 for the time being and take it frtom there.

Peter

18-55... you need glass and experience first.

Just for the record I had done one A1 print for a customer from 40D. Thats 10MP, sharp and well exposed image. Normally it is all A3 and very rarely A2.

Peter

If you buy a 5D the 18-55 lens will not fit.Its EF-S designed for ap-c cameras and the 5D takes EF.

If you buy a 5D the 18-55 lens will not fit.Its EF-S designed for ap-c cameras and the 5D takes EF.

Let alone that is Nikon 18-55 :LOL:

5D - £400 (+-)
glass - £1400 just for the start :) or something like that

What???? What is wrong with a new 17-40f4 at £600?

People keep telling me It's not sharp enough near the edges. :shrug:

Another candidate for zoom is the "kit lens" 24-105 f4L, around £650.

What I'd do is get the 5D, £500. Then get a prime like 50 f1.8 for £100. Shoot at f8. job done. :)

What you should do first is try invest in a prime lens, that will be cheap and sharp, that should not limit the D5100 sensor. Something like Nikon 35mm f1.8.

Last edited:
I feel that FF is overrated to some extent. To get the best from FF sensors you need expensive glass. Case in point is that my old 7D with a 17-55mm F/2.8 lens produced very similar results to my new 6D with 24-205mm F/4 lens. The 6D is of course superior, but only noticeably so if you compare them with equal spec lenses.

Your D5100 may benefit as much from better glass, as you would by buying into FF with average glass.

What???? What is wrong with a new 17-40f4 at £600?

that's one single stupidly wide lens? (let alone it is not amazing) perhaps you need something else too. At least 17-200mm range...

I want to shoot dramatic landscapes to blow up to

:shrug:

Lets be honest, for the most part you shoot landscapes wide, even though loads are taken on telephotos.

Also someone asking for the cheapest FF camera, isn't the mostly likely candidate for a £1400 lens.

Plus I've heard more people complain about the more expensive 16-35 than the 17-40. :thinking:

that's one single stupidly wide lens? (let alone it is not amazing) perhaps you need something else too. At least 17-200mm range...

40mm is stupidly wide?

And why would you need 17-200mm for conventional landscapes?

Are you letting GAS influence your judgement?

I've got a 1Ds mk1, they are silly cheap at the moment, but it is a bit on the heavy side.

I got offered around £250 for mine as a p/x, in excellent condition, boxed with charger, and sub-60,000 shutter count. So I decided to keep it.

40mm is stupidly wide?

And why would you need 17-200mm for conventional landscapes?

and why would you not? The "ultra wide for landscapes" is one of the worst misconceptions that crop up a lot on this forum. That is total utter nonsense in truth. In fact there is a lot of use for 400mm for landscapes :rules:

I'd stick with the D5100 and get a nice piece of glass like a Tokina 11-16mm.... ideal landscape lens for DX-format, very sharp and very competitively priced. If you don't mind buying used then you can save some further money - think £500 new and sub-£400 used.

If I was going to go full frame then it's either the 5Dmk1 or if you can push the boat out, one of the older 1Ds bodies or maybe a D700 if you want to stick with Nikon.

You really need to handle a few bodies to see what suits (handling, controls and menu system) and also think about what's out there lens-wise.

and why would you not? The "ultra wide for landscapes" is one of the worst misconceptions that crop up a lot on this forum. That is total utter nonsense in truth. In fact there is a lot of use for 400mm for landscapes :rules:

While a telephoto can be used for landscapes I would say the great majority use a normal wide angle for landscapes. I also wouldn't call 24mm - 40mm "ultra wide", I can't think of anyone in the photographic field who would (not when discussing 35mm format). In fact, 35mm - 40mm is heading towards being standard, and not even wide angle at all.

You seem to be twisting a fair few misconceptions together to make a whole new one all of your own ;).

18-55... you need glass and experience first.

Just for the record I had done one A1 print for a customer from 40D. Thats 10MP, sharp and well exposed image. Normally it is all A3 and very rarely A2.

Thanks. I am taking all this in. What a great forum this is turning out to be!

Last edited:
I'd stick with the D5100 and get a nice piece of glass like a Tokina 11-16mm.... ideal landscape lens for DX-format, very sharp and very competitively priced. If you don't mind buying used then you can save some further money - think £500 new and sub-£400 used.

If I was going to go full frame then it's either the 5Dmk1 or if you can push the boat out, one of the older 1Ds bodies or maybe a D700 if you want to stick with Nikon.

You really need to handle a few bodies to see what suits (handling, controls and menu system) and also think about what's out there lens-wise.

I agree thank you.

Back