What is the Difference

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone

I am looking for a 500mm Tele photo Zoom lens and have eye on these two.

Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F5-6.3 or

Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3

I have read all the specs and lots of reviews, but not a direct comparison.
What do you all think. I will be using it for outdoor wildlife photography mainly.

Any feedback will be really helpful.

Thanks

The sigma 150-500 has optical stabilisation while the tamron doesn't. Can make a big difference especially at longer focal lengths.
Unless you're going to be using the tamron in very good light or on a tripod/monopod you could be best to go for the sigma.

Tamron have a stabilised 150-600 in the works. Would be worth having a look at that.

Last edited:
The sigma 150-500 has optical stabilisation while the tamron doesn't. Can make a big difference especially at longer focal lengths.
Unless you're going to be using the tamron in very good light or on a tripod/monopod you could be best to go for the sigma.

I agree with what you said about Optical Stabilisation. abd because of that im swaying towards the Sigam. As winter is upon us and the amount of light is lower these days. I have a Manfrotto 680B with a Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head and a very sturdy tripod as well.

But do you want to take the monopod eveywhere you intend on using the long telephoto lens ? If you're happy to then having OS isn't much of an issue. From what I've read the Sigma may be faster to focus.

99.9 per sent of the time i will have the monopod with me when i am out with my telephoto lens yes

I had the Sigma 150-500 before upgrading, a cracking lens with or without monopod/tripod, it has an awesome IS system.

Thanks for the input artyman i appreciate it. if i may ask what did u upgrade to?

Another Sigma, the 120-300 f2.8 which I use with a 2X gives me 600mm f5.6 so a tad longer and a tad faster, and a blooming sight heavier as well!

Another Sigma, the 120-300 f2.8 which I use with a 2X gives me 600mm f5.6 so a tad longer and a tad faster, and a blooming sight heavier as well!
ahh very nice. Sadly that is a little out of my price range :-(

I have a Sigma 150-500 OS and the wife has a 120-400 OS and both are excellent lenses. My 150-500 is sharp wide open and gets even better when stopped down a bit. I've even managed to get a handheld shot from the 150mm end at 1/12sec so you can tell how good the OS system is. I've got a lot of photos on my Flickr account that were taken with the 150-500 if you want to see some examples. I see from your Flickr photos that you have a Canon 7D and you are in Nottingham, I'm not too far away near Lincoln if you fancy a trip to test one out. I can't help with the Tamron 200-500 as I've not used one, I've never actually seen one in the flesh so to speak so they can't be too popular and I've been to a lot of airshows etc where long lenses are popular.

I have Sigma 150-500. It's a little bit soft wide open and at the extremities but if you stop down a little and stay in the safe areas (200-450mm or so) it's pretty good. It is a beast of a lens and not being a birder or plane guy I actually barely use it

I have Sigma 150-500. It's a little bit soft wide open and at the extremities but if you stop down a little and stay in the safe areas (200-450mm or so) it's pretty good. It is a beast of a lens and not being a birder or plane guy I actually barely use it

Thanks for your input nass. yeah im thinking i will get one by the end of the week.... hopefully :)

I have a Sigma 150-500 OS and the wife has a 120-400 OS and both are excellent lenses. My 150-500 is sharp wide open and gets even better when stopped down a bit. I've even managed to get a handheld shot from the 150mm end at 1/12sec so you can tell how good the OS system is. I've got a lot of photos on my Flickr account that were taken with the 150-500 if you want to see some examples. I see from your Flickr photos that you have a Canon 7D and you are in Nottingham, I'm not too far away near Lincoln if you fancy a trip to test one out. I can't help with the Tamron 200-500 as I've not used one, I've never actually seen one in the flesh so to speak so they can't be too popular and I've been to a lot of airshows etc where long lenses are popular.

Hi modchild

Thank you for the offer. I may hold you to that.

I will let you know.

Thanks again

Back