What is this effect called ?

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Team

I was wondering if any one could point me in the direction of a Photoshop cs2 tutorial to produce this effect.

The photo is one I found on the web but there must hundreds and thousands of offer examples of this type manipulation.

And what is this effect called ?

untitled.jpg

Please remember when explaining anything to some one who is old as a young conker tree it needs explaining in very simple terms.

I would like to wish every one a very magical Christmas and my 2009 be all that you wish.

Looks like HDR... Just google it and you will find many many sites telling you how its done and when to do it etc or try looking up petemc he is a bit of a guru on it on here

Selective colour. ?
There are a number of ways to achieve this, history brush and layer mask are 2 that spring to mind.
I think I have at least 1 tutorial for this type of image, i will hunt it down and post a link.

colour popping is in use but it also looks like HDR, so can you clarify which bit about the photo are you referring to or like? the whole picture or the poppy wreath just in colour?

To be honest, that just looks like time spent with shadows/highlights then desaturated with the flowers popped.

I had a quick go at an oldie of mine same scene opposite end of the corridor

Levels,shadows/highlights, platinum and sepia tone, Its not quite as gritty though

3056109619_23f5b6bf3e_b.jpg

Dave

HDR, saved, cut wreath, saved, converted picture to B&W, replaced colour wreath on top.

The grittiness could have been achieved using something like Lucis or Topaz. Both of them filters for Photoshop. One's a good deal cheaper than the other.

Try this..
Image ~ Adjustments ~ Desaturate ~ History Brush Tool over the areas you want colour on

Although that would certainly get the effect quite quickly, I would venture to suggest that using a saturation adjustment layer and a mask would provide more options.

:LOL: I think it shows how we all use different methods to achieve the same thing, I would add a duplicate layer, convert that to mono, then erase the bit I want in colour and merge.

However, to answer the OP's questions, the colours are 'selective colouring' or 'colour popping' - ie, convert a whole image to mono [another technique that everyone will have different ways and means of doing] and then return a single colour or part back to colour using any of the techniques already mentioned.

As for the rest of it, could be HDR, there is a high level of detail such as that associated with the technique, especially when you compare it to the shot Just Dave posted, but could also be other techniques and filters available in photoshop and similar editing programings, hard to say really, but it certainly works imo.

Firstly I would like to say a big thank you to one and all who have taken the time and trouble in replying it is most appreciated.

I have had a quick at the tutorial that Dogfish gave the link for and I think that will be the best route for me go. But to be honest I haven’t tried it yet but will do over the holidays and will report back.

I have a few other questions regarding the same subject.

1/ what is HDR ?

2/ are 'selective colouring' or 'colour popping' the same thing ?

3/ when using the paint brush in this application is it acting like a rubber removing the top layer to expose the original ?

4/ Can you adjust the opacity of the brush so the original colour is not so vibrant and if so how ?

Hi

HDR High Dynamic Range, is a set of techniques that allows a greater dynamic range of luminances between light and dark areas of a scene than normal digital imaging techniques. The intention of HDR is to accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from direct sunlight to shadows.

its debatable whether 'selective colouring' and 'colour popping' the same thing,personally I think not, selective colouring to me is a colour such as below in your image red, being isolated, and colour popping is making the colours sing, bright vivid or whatever,

no the paint brush is not a rubber, unless its on a Masked layer, then it erases selected parts of the image to reveal the under lying colour,

the settings for opacity are on the menu below the top menu

HTH

Back