What Lens next?

Name
Sophie
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Im new to photography and got the Canon 1000D about 9 months ago. After getting to grips with basics, Im now borrowing the Sigma 28-300mm lens from a family friend. Ive been able to take much better pictures with it and it's given me more motivation to learn about the more technical things that come with owning an SLR.

However, now, Ive definitley got the photography bug and Im already looking at my 3rd lens to use - has anyone got any recommendations on to what get next? With regards to lenses, im still pretty much a n00b really. I take ALOT of pictures outdoors - close up nature shots and landscapes is my favourite thing to shoot I think. Or instead of getting a new lens straight away, are there any accessories I could get which will help with my photography? I have a UV and Polarised filter, and also a small lens hood.

Landscapes are easier with a wider lens and a solid tripod allows you to use slower shutter speeds and bracketing shots. I would suggest you investigate Neutral Density Graduated filters.

Your macro (I presume that is what you mean by close up?) again can benefit from a tripod but the lens requirements are that they can be focussed very close to the subject, so two very different areas.

I do most of my walkabout with a Sigma 18-200, but do very little real macro.

Ok thanks for the reply! I think a tripod is definitley needed, espeically as both of my lenses don't have the built in IS.

And yeah I meant macro, still getting used to the terminology aswell :p

It all depends on your budget really, But I think you will be looking at two different lenses.
You say the 28-300 is borrowed, whats your other lens?

Either a macro (100mm or 105mm or perhaps a 150mm sigma?) and some tubes or a wide/ultrawide lens (tokina 11-16 (y))

If you take pics of people something around the 30mm sigma f1.4 or canons equivalent...

If you want to try older lenses, an m42 adapter and a quick hunt on ebay - manual focus only though :)

Enjoy the 'bug' bite :D

It all depends on your budget really, But I think you will be looking at two different lenses.
You say the 28-300 is borrowed, whats your other lens?

My only other lens is the 18-55 standard one it came with. Although the sigma is borrowed, ive had it for a good 4 months now as the person who had it originally upgraded and gave it to me to have a play around with, im hoping they will give it to me or sell it for a cheap price :LOL:

would the Canon 55-250mm be a good upgrade?

Ok, so you have an 18-55, thats landscapes covered unless you want to go wider than that, which means you will be looking at Sigma 10-22 etc.

The 55-250 is a cracker of a lens, especially for the price. However, I would only add that if you have to give the 28-300 back.

You seem to have the range of 18-300 covered, so based on what you are shooting, I think a dedicated marco lens would be your best bet, something like the Tamron 90mm macro. Some pop on here for sale, and some on MPB photographic if you dont mind used ones (the prices are usually better).

Depending on how much spare cash you have, you could always upgrade the kit lens, however since you already have that covered, I would go for the macro.

If i'm wrong, and its just a bit of macro work you like, then tell me and I can advise something else :LOL:

Riiight ok then, thanks for the info.

If i have to give the sigma lens back then ill get the 55-250 lens because ive seen them on amazon for about £140. I'd ideally like a lens with the built in IS but im not too sure if its worth it - can you notice much difference in image quality?

I have used the 55-250 IS and it is a lovely little lens. Build quality isnt great, but the fact is has IS is always helpful and at the price it now sells at its a steal. Images are sharp and as I say, I was really impressed.

As Mike says, if you have to give the Sigma back then a Canon 55-250IS is a corker of a lens. I got one from the classifieds here for £110 and its in absolute mint condition, sharp as a tack.
If you have a lens hood on you really shouldn't need the UV filter on as it will cut down on the sharpness of the lens IQ, which I found out to my great cost, I never use them unless I'm shooting in a really dusty or sandy area.
If you get a set of extension tubes you will be able to use your 18-55 to great effect as a macro lens. I got some great results from mine before I passed it onto the wife.
If you can find yourself a decent tripod it'll help with the non IS lens with landscapes, or if you start taking more portraits you might find a flash gun would help out more.

55-250IS looks like a lovely lens. Looking for a couple to add to my 50mm 1.8. Also fancy the Tamron 17-50 as mentioned in another thread

Back