What lens

Canon 50 1.8 for about £75

Or for around £250 you could get a lovely USM 50 1.4 or 85 1.4

aeronic said:
Canon 50 1.8 for about £75

Or for around £250 you could get a lovely USM 50 1.4 or 85 1.4

Hi I have the 50 but don't work to good with studio lights too bright or u think I'm doing something wrong which lens is the better off the two ?

Hi I have the 50 but don't work to good with studio lights too bright or u think I'm doing something wrong which lens is the better off the two ?

I think you better post one or two images with exif data available. You are clearly doing something wrong, i.e your power settings are too high, lights too close or aperture too wide for the shutter speed in use.

Have you used a meter whilst shooting with lights?

Mark

iPhoto said:
I think you better post one or two images with exif data available. You are clearly doing something wrong, i.e your power settings are too high, lights too close or aperture too wide for the shutter speed in use.

Have you used a meter whilst shooting with lights?

Mark

No just been starting at 250 f8 and workin in from there lights about half power just got lights new to them

OK, f8 is a good starting point because it will give you a reasonable depth of field. You can always play around with things like depth of field for creativity later but for now stick with f8.

So you have your 2 x bowens 500r set at half power, are you using both?

How are you triggering them?

How far away from your subject are they?

What is your camera telling you the exposure was like after you did a test shot?

What is the histogram telling you?

Mark

iPhoto said:
OK, f8 is a good starting point because it will give you a reasonable depth of field. You can always play around with things like depth of field for creativity later but for now stick with f8.

So you have your 2 x bowens 500r set at half power, are you using both?

How are you triggering them?

How far away from your subject are they?

What is your camera telling you the exposure was like after you did a test shot?

What is the histogram telling you?

Mark

Only one the Bowen trigger that came with them about 2 not sure about the other two
How u know I had two bowens500r ?

OK so keep things simple, stick to a single light, stick to f8 at 250 and leave them on half power.

Take a test shot and see what the exposure reading is, I am guessing it is saying over exposed because you said “its too bright”.

So reduce the power on the lights until its not too bright, i.e. until the exposure reading is correct. (y)

Mark

iPhoto said:
OK so keep things simple, stick to a single light, stick to f8 at 250 and leave them on half power.

Take a test shot and see what the exposure reading is, I am guessing it is saying over exposed because you said “its too bright”.

So reduce the power on the lights until its not too bright, i.e. until the exposure reading is correct. (y)

Mark

How I know when expousure correct ?

iPhoto said:

Mark

Thanks very much for ur help apreciated

I'm hoping to get some primes to go with my collection in the near future. I have a 50 1.8 already but want to get a 1.4 and not sure whether to get Sigma or Canon. Also I want an 85 (more than likely a Canon 1.8 or Sigma 85mm F1.4 at a push financially) and something in the region of 24-35mm (either a Sigma 28mm f/1.8, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8, Canon EF 35mm f/2 or Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 but not sure which is best for IQ). Anybody got any suggestions which is the best of the bunch.

Back