What New Gear Have You Purchased This Week?

I'm awaiting delivery of my shiny new Nikkor 70-200 f4, does anyone have any experiences? I just couldn't justify the cost/weight of the 2.8.

Andy

Unfortunately not, it's only a Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Compact. I'll only be using it the odd occasion when it's needed for nighttime car photography hence the reason I when for one of the cheaper tripods in the range.

I haven't actually had chance to use it yet but first impressions are good (although I've never used once previously to compare).

....Well, having given my SLIK tripod to my daughter because she needed one and kept borrowing it, I went and bought the Manfrotto MT293C4 which is the smallest of the those. Like yours it's very compact (and very light, depending what head you mount on it).

I think you'll be impressed by Manfrotto's build quality (I have other Manfrotto gear) and the fact that the legs use a lever action rather than twist like some other tripod brands do.

I'm 6ft tall exactly and have to crouch just a fraction when it's fully extended but it's not a problem and makes up for it in several other ways.

Just got myself a Fuji S5 Pro off the forum and so far I am VERY impressed. Always liked Fuji cameras having used their bridge cameras for years (I have three) but this is a different level.

A quick snap of my son caught by surprise while using the laptop

William%20laptop.jpg

James problems getting a crisp sharp image. Sent it of to Sigma UK they could not get a satisfactory result so they shipped it off to Japan. They didn't have any parts to repair it so offered me a part X so took it.

New one is the latest with OS other one didn't have this, yes it arrived Friday morning.

Trevor

The " Okton" and focus ring knobs is a give-away!
biggrin3.gif

I know, because their 58mm is next (tm) on my list...

Meh... it's only a Zeiss...
duck.gif

Doesn't say if its a v1 or v2 though does it...

Anyway, Trevor thats good news then, free upgrade!

Magnus, is that the voigtlander 35mm F1.2 II?

Indeed it is, there was a version 1 on eBay at £580~ at the same time I was about to buy the version 2, which made the decision all the harder, but I felt like the shorter focus distance and apparently increased IQ(surprisingly decent at f/1.2 I've found) was worth the extra £120, making it by far the most expensive of any camera related item I've bought, but compared to nearly every leica lens it's a bargain, and should last me a while.

Indeed it is, there was a version 1 on eBay at £580~ at the same time I was about to buy the version 2, which made the decision all the harder, but I felt like the shorter focus distance and apparently increased IQ(surprisingly decent at f/1.2 I've found) was worth the extra £120, making it by far the most expensive of any camera related item I've bought, but compared to nearly every leica lens it's a bargain, and should last me a while.

Aye very true. I couldn't justify the £2k layout for a 50mm summilux when the zeiss 50mm f1.5 is so damn similar at around half the cost.

17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM / DC Macro HSM | C

Sigma STD_DC17_70mm_884_Full320x320-320x320
by andrewwright4, on Flickr

Bought from Cameraland in Cardiff today. My first Macro type lens, pleased to bits, also looked at th 70mm f2.8 Macro, but decided this would be more useful, and upgrades my Nikon 18-55mm kit lens

Nikkor 18-200 VR (2nd hand) to live on my V-1/FT-1, giving (approximately, in 35mm EFL) 50-520. Will also get used on my D70 if I want to use a DSLR but travel light!

A Hahnel HL-E6 (Canon LP-E6 equivalent) spare battery for my 5D3. Read mixed reports about this one, so it'll be interesting to find out first-hand how it performs.

Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fish-eye for MFT. Sun's out. Time to go and thrust it into a few stranger's faces.

This....

PuO7xEh.jpg

And now I'm going to rip it to pieces, remove it's AA filter (eeeek) and it will henceforth spend it's life attached to a telescope...purely for astro-photography use. Wish me luck :)

Just got myself a Fuji S5 Pro off the forum and so far I am VERY impressed. Always liked Fuji cameras having used their bridge cameras for years (I have three) but this is a different level.

A quick snap of my son caught by surprise while using the laptop

great cameras and absolute bargains now, when I was Nikon I had a D7000, D70s & Fuji S5 Pro and it was the S5 everytime for me, some of my fave photos are from that camera, have also had S100fs & HS20 bridge cameras and quality aside I really get on with Fuji menus

Picked the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 DC OS HSM yesterday. Not had a chance to play with it due to the weather, but it seems like a great general purpose lens:

2hqw2o2.jpg

1zl6frc.jpg

azfof8.jpg

great cameras and absolute bargains now, when I was Nikon I had a D7000, D70s & Fuji S5 Pro and it was the S5 everytime for me, some of my fave photos are from that camera, have also had S100fs & HS20 bridge cameras and quality aside I really get on with Fuji menus

Yeah they are superb cameras. I was so impressed with the feel and quality of it - brilliant

Over the past few months I have collected a new set of gear, have a look:

Gear list:

Canon 5DMKIII
Canon 24-105mm f4 L IS
Canon 35mm f1.4 L
Canon 100m f2.8 Macro
Sigma 50mm f1.4
Lee Filters Big Stopper
Lee Filters Foundation Kit
Ona Union Street - Ranger Tan bag

Too much this week. 5d mk3, 70-200 f2.8 is mk2. 16-35 mk2. Bg 11 grip.

Some new props and accessories for the baby/toddler photo shoots -

A posing bean bag
Some soft fur blankets
A miniature bed
Other bits and bobs

Just got myself a Yongnuo YN-565 flash.
A set of Yongnuo YN-622 triggers.

They're easier to set up than I thought. I read the instructions! eek! and promptly ignored them.

Canon EFS 15-85mm, EW-78E clone, replacement 77mm cap for my Wigma and two Lowepro Hatchback 22L (his and hers :) )...

Some filters and a couple 16G CF cards are on their way too...

Nice lens that! I'm waiting for the 85mm though.... which, if this 55 is anything to go by, will be quite simply, the best studio portrait lens for 35mm in the world, ever.

Last edited:
They're easier to set up than I thought. I read the instructions! eek! and promptly ignored them.

Yeah me to, hate instructions......

Love how I can now control the other flash from the SB700 - great stuff. Just ordered myself another trigger so I have one for all my flashes

Ive had a right spending spree..! Over the last couple of weeks I've bought...

Sigma 50-150 2.8
Sigma 17-35 2.8
Helios 44m 58mm f2
Lowepro MicroTrekker 200
590nm filter
3x 4gb cards

All at bugdet prices ;)

Now im after a spare body, but my overtime was wrong this month so it'll have to wait..!

Back