what Nikon to get now?

Name
Paul Mitchell
Edit My Images
Yes
Well after a recent trip to thailand my trusty Nikon died a slow aginising death, mixture of humidity, rain, sweat tears and general wear and tear has got to the electricery inside, nikon wont give me any ideas as to how much to fix withought sending it off first which they will charge £20 for postng it back should i not choose the work.

so my question is what Nikon should i go for now, as iv still got the lenses so dont want to switch to Canon etc.

iv seen th 7100 and quie like that but not sure if i want to go for something abit more semi/pro to pro

ideally needs to have a better weather proofing system than the D90 :confused:

That happened to my old D90 too! It was only about 2 years old and the electrics within the viewfinder went, the rubber grip on back also startedto peel. Reckon it was from the few times I used it in heavy rain.

I jumped to the D800, as I was lucky to have the funds at the time. If not I would have opted for a D700 used.

ye not sure what my budget is yet as thailand was the honeymoon so stil paying for wedding and that ...boo

ideally i dont want 2nd hand (im abit funny with electrical stuff if i dont know the history)

I use a D7000 pretty much 24/7, both in the studio and outdoors covering angling (in all weathers) and in 18 months I've yet to have any issues in terms of faults caused by environmental issues. It's not as solid as my previous D2x but it's matched it for weather-resistance, which has surprised me no end considering it's pro-sumer level.

It's been out in -20˚C in the Alps while snowboarding, and sat in dusty, 30˚C-plus conditions this summer while covering angling events. Never had an issue, fantastic camera.

hmm may look at that then as from reviews there arnt many differences that i would benefit from between the d7000 and d7100

Obvious changes are more megapixels and changes to video functionality. Apparently the buffer isn't as good on the D7100, but I'm not wholely sure...

Another vote for the Nikon D7000. You can buy them new and a very good price. The buffer is better than that of the D7100. 16MP is a lot of pixels to play with.

Might be worth waiting as there seems to be a lot of rumours about the D400 being announced soon.

Might be worth waiting as there seems to be a lot of rumours about the D400 being announced soon.

Yeah, we've been listening to THAT rumour for about the last 3 years :D

Just once I'd like it to be true :)

I've just decided to move from my D300 and after a lot of debate with myself I decided to get the D7100 and I'm glad I did. Its super sharp and the 1.3 crop is a boon when shooting wildlife and the high ISO performance knocks the D300 into a cocked hat. Its also a bit smaller and lighter but it has the same weather sealing as the D800 apparently and the build quality is excellent, a very robust feeling camera. I haven't had any problems with buffering so far, it is a bit slower than the D300 but that's a price I'm prepared to pay.

Here's a couple of test shots. Nikon 50mm f1.8, ISO 100, f5 for 1/6 sec

Books-etc1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

and here's a big crop

Books-etc100%-crop by andysnapper1, on Flickr

So far I'm very impressed.

Cheers

Andy

D7000! Just sold mine as I have recently upgraded to A D600 and don't need a 2nd body. A greasy camera and like some have already pointed out, it's very cheap at the moment. Funny enough, I was keep an eye on the 2nd prices for a good while and it seems a lot of people at selling their D7000 for by few shutter count, like <1000. That's really as good as new and you could probably grab one for about £400ish. I sold mine for just less than £400.

Another vote for the Nikon D7000.
And the difference between the D7000 to D7100 is a small evolution rather than a giant leap.

Riz :)

the d600 is full frame isnt it, iv been tossing it up between those 3 now for abit reading reviews etc
so if you were in my shoes which would you go for

d7000
d7100
d600

i tend to do more animal/portrait shots, but do like to take camera walking up in the hills with me.

current lenses are

nikon 18-35
nikon 50mm 1.4
the d90s lens the 18-105
and i think its the sigma 70-300

also the sb900 and the remote cable

im assumin that all this will still work with the above cameras (maybe not the remote lead)

Depends on your budget. If you can afford the D600 then get that. Otherwise the D7000 is still a cracking camera and unbeatable value.

I've just also returned from Thailand having taken my D600 & 24-70. Both survived well despite taking it out in the rain and into sandy beaches

im thinking of going away from the 600 due to full frame and my lenses potentially not working, so im almost certain after reading ken rockwells reviews on them to go for the 7100..

how does the wifi part work where it can send images to andriod etc, do you need anything else to do this..if you do i may just opt for the 7000

where abouts in thailand were you?

im thinking of going away from the 600 due to full frame and my lenses potentially not working, so im almost certain after reading ken rockwells reviews on them to go for the 7100..

Get whatever KR verified at some reputable sources. ;) Imho he is an ****.

If a D600 is within your budget, I would wait until the 2nd week in Sept (the latest possible deadline :bang:) to see if a D400 would amazingly appear. :eek: After this long a wait it it could have some amazing tech in. :shrug: But then it's more likely not to appear. :bang: :LOL: I had virtually given up on a D400 camera, but the way Nikon have crippled the buffer on the D7100 makes me think that a D400 will probably, eventually appear.

The D600 puts you on a route to expensive lenses, depending on the lenses and number of lenses you buy. But you gain in quality with the good lenses.

Between a D7000 and D7100 is a tougher call. :shrug: From the reviews I've read, the D7100 makes a lot of small improvements over the D7000, the main changes being the 24mp sensor and the 51 point AF.

The D7000 would be the cheapest choice, especially 2nd hand. ;)

I have a D300S, and it does everything I want it to do. The 12mp is sufficient. (though I would like more ;)) The build and weather sealing is great. The buffer and frames per second is very good, and the fps improves with the grip and certain batteries. The AF is great most of the time. :) The ISO is not great compared to modern cameras, as it is 4 year old update of a 6 year old camera, and sensor tech moves on. The build, frame rate and buffer are as good as anything below top end pro gear.

My D90 stopped focusing properly but thankfully it was still under Curry's what ever happens warranty and they give me full value for camera even though it was two years old. I had some savings so got a D600 for replacement lucky also that my lenses were full frame compatible. The D600 is superb a massive step up

Get whatever KR verified at some reputable sources. ;) Imho he is an ****.

If a D600 is within your budget, I would wait until the 2nd week in Sept (the latest possible deadline :bang:) to see if a D400 would amazingly appear. :eek: After this long a wait it it could have some amazing tech in. :shrug: But then it's more likely not to appear. :bang: :LOL: I had virtually given up on a D400 camera, but the way Nikon have crippled the buffer on the D7100 makes me think that a D400 will probably, eventually appear.

The D600 puts you on a route to expensive lenses, depending on the lenses and number of lenses you buy. But you gain in quality with the good lenses.

Between a D7000 and D7100 is a tougher call. :shrug: From the reviews I've read, the D7100 makes a lot of small improvements over the D7000, the main changes being the 24mp sensor and the 51 point AF.

The D7000 would be the cheapest choice, especially 2nd hand. ;)

I have a D300S, and it does everything I want it to do. The 12mp is sufficient. (though I would like more ;)) The build and weather sealing is great. The buffer and frames per second is very good, and the fps improves with the grip and certain batteries. The AF is great most of the time. :) The ISO is not great compared to modern cameras, as it is 4 year old update of a 6 year old camera, and sensor tech moves on. The build, frame rate and buffer are as good as anything below top end pro gear.

Good advice (y)

Back