what should i do...?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all ....advice needed please....

i have a dillema....

should i ...use my D810 and get a 150-600mm Sigma sport with 1.4 tc lens for shooting birds and wildlife.....

or keep the D810 for landscpes

and Buy a Nikon V1 or 2 and get the CX 70-300 lens which is cheaper and lighter and gets me equivelant of 810mm reach

If you can manage the weight, the larger sensor will likely produce better pictures (DXO score is better)? Or is that too simplistic?

I have the V3 and CX 70-300, it is light, great to use and the extra reach is very useful BUT you will not get the low light capability of the D810 so it very much depends on what and when your photography will take place,
If you do decide to get a Nikon 1 Series, the V1 has a very annoying menu knob that very easily gets moved in use so you think that you are on one mode and you are actually on another.

I have the V3 and CX 70-300, it is light, great to use and the extra reach is very useful BUT you will not get the low light capability of the D810 so it very much depends on what and when your photography will take place,
If you do decide to get a Nikon 1 Series, the V1 has a very annoying menu knob that very easily gets moved in use so you think that you are on one mode and you are actually on another.
hi Gramps... i want pics of Badgers and Kingfishers really and general wildlife .... so the V2 be better? does your V3 have the view finder on the top? does the V2 have the annoying knob?

If you can manage the weight, the larger sensor will likely produce better pictures (DXO score is better)? Or is that too simplistic?
that was my logic to it yes ..... but a friend is swaying me the otherr route....

hi Gramps... i want pics of Badgers and Kingfishers really and general wildlife .... so the V2 be better? does your V3 have the view finder on the top? does the V2 have the annoying knob?

The V2 doesn't have the annoying menu selector in the same position so it is okay, the V3 is the better option all round but the viewfinder is an optional extra and if bought alone, usually very expensive.

The V2 doesn't have the annoying menu selector in the same position so it is okay, the V3 is the better option all round but the viewfinder is an optional extra and if bought alone, usually very expensive.
doesnt the V3 only take Micro SD cards ? is that right ?... ive found V3s secondhand with the EVF on at good prices ...

Both have their merits but I'd have to say IME, since changing to FF, I've really enjoyed the low light capabilties of it and also, the better ISO performance. In my case, a 5Div versus a 7D, so literally, night and day.

Here in Scotland, most wildlife tends to be low light most of the time, so the capabilities of an FF sensor really come into their own.

doesnt the V3 only take Micro SD cards ? is that right ?... ive found V3s secondhand with the EVF on at good prices ...
It does take micro SD but TBH I haven't found that a problem, if the camera works for you the micro SD isn't an issue.

Both have their merits but I'd have to say IME, since changing to FF, I've really enjoyed the low light capabilties of it and also, the better ISO performance. In my case, a 5Div versus a 7D, so literally, night and day.

Here in Scotland, most wildlife tends to be low light most of the time, so the capabilities of an FF sensor really come into their own.
yes im of the same opinion Dale ..... thats why im asking as ive not really shot wildlife .... im a landscaper really ..... most of my shooting before has been sunrise and set

When are you planning to start playing with wildlife? Got a V body (or 2...) and an adaptor for F mount lenses that you could borrow for a while once the current situation improves. I'm only an hour down the M5 so could meet 1/2 way once we're allowed to travel and meet.

I must admit I don't know much about the Nikon 1 system so those who have might be better placed to advise, but for my two pence: If you have a D810, use the D810. For wildlife you'll need good high ISO performance for getting sharp images at long focal lengths, especially for badger (cos nocturnal) - I can't imagine and old, 1" sensor will have very good IQ above 800.

And bear in mind that if you want to crop anything, which you probably will, you'll be pushed with the V2's 14 MP sensor. Whereas the D810 you can go to town.

I just think that if you're used to the image quality from the D810 you'll only be disappointed with a V2....

I must admit I don't know much about the Nikon 1 system so those who have might be better placed to advise, but for my two pence: If you have a D810, use the D810. For wildlife you'll need good high ISO performance for getting sharp images at long focal lengths, especially for badger (cos nocturnal) - I can't imagine and old, 1" sensor will have very good IQ above 800.

And bear in mind that if you want to crop anything, which you probably will, you'll be pushed with the V2's 14 MP sensor. Whereas the D810 you can go to town.

I just think that if you're used to the image quality from the D810 you'll only be disappointed with a V2....

that is my fear yes....

Hello,
I feel the question really hinges on what you want the photos for.
For simple species id or surveying the small sensor should be fine.
If you have ambitions to capture, let's say, fine art wildlife images then full frame plus more time spent on one subject or location could be the answer.

Just my 2p worth. Good luck.

I'll use my Nikon1 V2 for general photography/landscape/macro, and the big kit for wildlife... mostly the D850 and Sigma 60-600 last year. I do have the CX 70-300. but I have very rarely gotten image quality anywhere near what larger formats w/ better lenses can do. When the subjects are small/distant it really makes a difference IMO; and in lower light it's not even a question.

Last edited:
I use my Nikon1 V2 for general photography/landscape and the big kit for wildlife... mostly the D850 and Sigma 60-600 last year. I do have the CX 70-300. but I have very rarely gotten image quality anywhere near what larger formats w/ better lenses can do. When the subjects are small/distant it really makes a difference IMO; and in lower light it's not even a question.
i have just looked through your flickr and wow.... have you got any on there from the nikon v set up for comparison.....

thnk you so much for replying to my post.....

i have just looked through your flickr and wow.... have you got any on there from the nikon v set up for comparison.....

thnk you so much for replying to my post.....
There aren't many. Here's a Gadwall at pretty short range in good light... it holds up fine at the smaller flickr viewing size, but falls apart quickly... it's barely adequate here IMO.

Gadwall
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

And here's a warbler, also at short distance and w/ external flash... another OK/marginal image IMO.

B&W Warbler
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back