What system would you take ?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, as I'm one of the most indecisive people I know, I'm trying to figure out what to take for an upcoming 3 day trip to London. The purpose of the trip is 100% sightseeing and we have also purchased a 2 day London pass ticket to get us access into most of the main attractions.

I'm very fortunate to have both by Nikon DSLR system as well as Micro four thirds mirror less, but I'm unsure what to take. My 2 possible kits (which both fit into my small Lowepro daypack are the following:

Mirrorless
Olympus OMD-EM1 (with or without grip), with a Panasonic GX7 as backup.
Olympus -12-40 F2.8 pro, 40-150 F2.8 Pro (with or without 1.4 TC), panasonic 7-14 F4, olympus 17mm f1.8 & Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4

Nikon
Nikon D750 (or d810) probably still with the GX7 and 17mm F1.8 as backup. Grips available for both DSLR's
Nikon 24-120 F4 VR, 16-35 F4 VR, 70-200 F2.8 VR II (poss with 1.4x TC) & 50mm f1.8.

An option for both systems (to really reduce the weight), is to leave the 2 off F2.8 zooms at home, and pick up either the Olympus 40-150 R F3.5-5.6 or the Nikon 70-300 F3.5-5.6 VR, both of which I've seen second hand quite cheap.

As well as the usual sights (Big Ben, Westminster, Tower Bridge, Tower of London etc), we are also planning a few hours in London Zoo (my friend really wants to go and it's covered by the London pass anyway).

My heart is telling me the Nikon kit as it will yield more detailed images (lot more MP) and vastly better high ISO's, better battery life etc. and that it all cost a small fortune and I should really be using it. But my head is telling me the Mirrorless kit is smaller, a bit lighter (the 40-150 F2.8 isn't exactly light), the 12-40 F2.8 is stunning, and the live time, live composite feature might be useful for some interesting night shots. However the M4/3 kits quality wise really top out at about ISO1600, although there is always the wonderful Olympus IBIS.

I know this isn't life or death and in reality either will probably do a great job, but just interested to hear what you guys and gals would do.

Last edited:
Your friend.. someone you prefer to keep remote and distant with a camera between you? Or someone who you would like to enjoy the time with?

One camera, one lens. Enjoy the trip with your friend. You can always go back on your own if you want a dedicated photo day.. ..

GX7/17 1.8. And that would be it.

Depending on what atractions you will be visting i would take d750 as the high iso ability will be a god send

Last time I went to London I just took a Fuji XP1 and the 35 1.4 (like the standard 50mm used in the olden days).
There's so much to see that keeping it simple makes you think about what you're taking rather than trying to snap everything.
When I go again I'll just take my 23 1.4 (35mm old money).

Just take the M43 gear and use the fast primes to keep the high ISO down when needed in any low light situations,
It's easier to carry all day and still provides decent quality photos :)

Well that seems pretty definitive :)

Thanks a lot guys, mind now made up !

Well even though you have made up your mind I :plus1: for M4/3. When I go away with my better half I normally take me ccs kit which if I consists of Pany G5 and 6 lenses in a mini temba messenger bag. sometimes leaving a lens or two back at the hotel but usually not, Still a bit lighter then my Canon 5D mk2 and a few lenses and flash.

Have carried my 5d mkii with some pretty big glass all over the world. If it is a one off trip I want the best snaps possible! Next time I go to London though the eos m and 22mm will be coming as I can go there anytime!

Back