What to look for in a laptop (screen)?

Name
Jessica
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm moving to Glasgow in a week and have decided to leave my desktop computer at my Mum's house and get myself a new laptop for my flat.

It's main use will be for photo editing and whilst I know what spec to look for with regards to RAM etc I have no idea what to look for in a screen. I'll prob be buying online and have no option to try before I buy.

I can't afford a Mac.

It needs to be under £400, the further under the better, as I'll have to buy another copy of photoshop, or editing software of some kind.

All advice appreciated.

I'm moving to Glasgow in a week and have decided to leave my desktop computer at my Mum's house and get myself a new laptop for my flat.

It's main use will be for photo editing and whilst I know what spec to look for with regards to RAM etc I have no idea what to look for in a screen. I'll prob be buying online and have no option to try before I buy.

I can't afford a Mac.

It needs to be under £400, the further under the better, as I'll have to buy another copy of photoshop, or editing software of some kind.

All advice appreciated.

Laptop screens are never great for photo editing, as ideally you want an IPS screen and very few (if any) budget machines offer this. I'm sure somebody will come along and advise you of a good enough LED screen, but I'm not sure.

Can you not take your monitor with you? Or maybe purchase a decent IPS screen for about £110 and connect it to the laptop, when editing. That might be your best bet.

I'm using public transport to move up and getting my current computer up seems so much hassle. Plus I'll be home loads, where I'll want to use my current computer/monitor and as my old laptop is pretty much dead this seemed like a good time to get a new one.

I'll look into a laptop + screen. I'd never considered that as it hadn't even entered my head that that was an option. Ideally I'd like to be able to edit on the go too as hours on coaches/trains always seem such wasted time but with the budget I have that sounds like a good idea. Thanks. (y)

Back