What walkabout general family camera

Name
Tim Ellis
Edit My Images
No
I was looking to get a handy walkabout camera, and seen the following any suggestions on the best one.

Main usage is popping out for a walk with the dogs taking pictures of the countryside and pictures of towns etc.

Looking at a canon eos m and a samsung NX3000 both at the £199 mark

Just bought NX3000. I thought nice camera, easy to use. Images looked perfect until i zoomed in and found that sensor produces random dark and white noise spots even on sunny day (even my old cheap Fuji s5800 won't do that). Probably faulty sensor, still not sure, waiting till I will be able to compare it with my friends exactly same camera on exact conditions. If its only mine it will be sent beck for warranty, if not I will be strongly disappointed with it :( What a shame, I liked it very much at first.

What is your budget? What is your level of photography? Any details can help with camera selection. My walkabout camera will soon be the Panasonic LX100 but that's my choice for what I expect quality wise and what I want for ergonomics and other considerations.

Oops, missed the last line of yout post... hehe.

Canon EOS-M is a really crappy camera but it is really cheap now and if you don't throw it away as far as you can from frustration, you should get good quality pictures out of it.

That's faulty wouldn't wait to compare. Just take it back.

For £200 both are great value. I would say the Samsung has a better future than the eos-m. There are already rumours of canon releasing another CSC system.

Does it have to be new? You might be better off buying a 2nd hand CSC from somewhere like London Camera Exchange.

Which would help you stretch your budget a bit.

No it does not need to be new happy for 2nd hand, but i am just overwhelmed with all the cameras out there.

The only things that i guess i really want is a camera with the ability for Aperture Priority and a good fast lens i can get for under £200.

I did have a DSC-R1 which i loved however a bit big but thats the idea

No it does not need to be new happy for 2nd hand, but i am just overwhelmed with all the cameras out there.

The only things that i guess i really want is a camera with the ability for Aperture Priority and a good fast lens i can get for under £200.

I did have a DSC-R1 which i loved however a bit big but thats the idea
I can recommend the 30mm samsung nx prime lens if you go down that route its a cracker and can be had for £150 used, £200 new. Or do what i did and my a samsung nx10 with a kit some and 30mm prime keep the prime and sell the camera and kit zoom on for the same price, free prime lens!! ha

Last edited:
Thanks for that never thought about the NX10 i can get one localy for £150 with a kit lens and also seen a 20mm F2.8 i-function lens is this up to much?
I didn't mean to complicate thing further. I wouldn't recommend the nx10 although i do have a soft spot for its, processing speed is terrible and the low light performance isn't great. It is however cheap as chips and if you find them with a twin lens kit and keep the primes and sell on the rest you get free lenses.

I also have the 20mm prime. Its not as good but its worth having for free!

For that purpose and budget I'd get a bridge cam. The Fuji HS10 is only £99 on amazon now - used models at least

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00342UTQ6/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Or you can pump the budget a little to get a new HS50 package, with a bag, spare battery and SD card:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bundle-Digital-Rechargeable-Electronic-Viewfinder/dp/B00KRH51IM/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1413838195&sr=1-17&keywords=bridge camera

Shoots RAW, has 42x optical zoom :eek: - with OS - perfect for some casual wildlife shooting when walking the dogs.

Last edited:
NEX 5 definitely better than NX3000, I had them booth in my hands. It produces much better quality pictures, at least less noise than my new NX3000. Only thing I didn't liked about it, controls not as good as Samsung. But that may be because samsung controls looks almost same as Fuji, and my last day to day camera was old Fuji. Also NEX5 got good size sensor, so probably less noise in low light.

NEX 5 definitely better than NX3000, I had them booth in my hands. It produces much better quality pictures, at least less noise than my new NX3000. Only thing I didn't liked about it, controls not as good as Samsung. But that may be because samsung controls looks almost same as Fuji, and my last day to day camera was old Fuji. Also NEX5 got good size sensor, so probably less noise in low light.

Doesnt the nx3000 share the nx300 sensor? If so its the same sensor size as the nex5n and performs as well. samsung consumer lenses are better, and as you mentioned the interface is also better. I've owned both nex and nx. ive stuck with nx. infact if the nx400 is released with a evf I'll be selling my nikon gear and going 100% samsung.

One other point the nx3000 also comes bundled with adobe lightrooms free which saves you a few extra pounds if you haven't got any software

as I said earlier your nx3000 needs to go back.

Last edited:
Doesnt the nx3000 share the nx300 sensor? If so its the same sensor size as the nex5n and performs as well. samsung consumer lenses are better, and as you mentioned the interface is also better. I've owned both nex and nx. ive stuck with nx. infact if the nx400 is released with a evf I'll be selling my nikon gear and going 100% samsung.

One other point the nx3000 also comes bundled with adobe lightrooms free which saves you a few extra pounds if you haven't got any software

as I said earlier your nx3000 needs to go back.

Definitely not, I had booth NEX5N and NX3000 in my hands, and there is no way NX3000 pictures quality would be better or equal as NEX5N. Don't know about NX300, never had one. And it's not only my NX3000 was faulty, I have checked more examples from different NX3000 cameras, and they all got same random noise in pictures if taken on ISO400 and ISO800. Personally I don't like Sony as a brand, but this time i must say I would chose Sony from these two. But it's to late, i bought NX3000, probably because it was really cheap (£200 quit with 2 year extended waranty). Also i just bought used NX100 so I will be able to compare results later this week. Have a look: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/noise-in-pictures.564164/#post-6539627

Back