What would YOU do in this situation?

Edit My Images
Yes
Okay, I sent a brand new camera away to get modded for infrared and the company doing the conversion phoned me up last week and said that they had shorted the main circuit board in it and could give me the option of either having it replaced or to save time they would get me a replacement camera and, to make up for the inconvenience they would supply the next model up the range. I made it clear that the camera they had broken was brand new and so the replacement would need to be likewise and this they agreed to.

All well and good and the camera turns up this morning. Except the seal on the box looks like the one you get on Nikon refurbished cameras and when I open the box the manual is a tatty, well thumbed example and the warranty card is missing.

Took some test shots and everything seems fine, however, when I looked at the EXIF data for the first shot I took it gave the number of shutter actuations that this "new" camera (allegedly supplied by Warehouse Express on Wednesday) had done as just under 3000....

So, what would YOU do in a case like this?

Challenge the company firstly and see what they say, there is no way for them to argue against the EXIF data.

Would you like some money back or a new camera again

send it back and tell them to send you a brand new replacement and also make sure they pay all postage.
Cheeky Gits
Brian

If it was a used camera that I had sent away, I'd be like "well, fair enough"

If it was BRAND NEW that I had sent away, I'd call them up, and explain the situation and either demand a brand new boxed one, or demand some other form of compensation.

Ring them up
Politely point out the facts
Ask what they intend to do.

Yep I agree they are the ones that screwed up
and should replace "like for like"
not "like for sort of"
Ask for, ( née politely demand) a brand new replacement
Hope you get it sorted Flash (y)

Totally agree with the above, point out the facts and ask what they are going to do about it, you could do with deciding prior to this if you are definately set to want a new camera or would you accept some cash compensation if offered - if so what would you consider a realistic amount - BUT let them offer a price to you !

Either way, I think I would be looking for something as a matter of urgency and if they are ordering you another new one - you could request it be posted directly to you, not to them and then on to you.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted out (y)

Modification for IR means messing with the sensor cover filters and I'd guess it was a difficult thing to do and not get any dust under it. If it shows no sensor dust at f22 then it has been done well and keeping it might be an idea. If it shows lots of dust then you have another reason to send it back.

Other possibility of course is they just fancied keeping the brand new camera and came up with a story!

Been phoning them on an off all day, but they're not answering their phone. I suppose they could be closed today, but they were there last Friday when they fried my own camera......

I've instigated a Paypal dispute,stating the facts and suggesting that they make good the difference in value between a new camera and a used one- plus a bit more.

Why can't companies just deliver what they promise nowadays without the need for the customer to have to battle for every little thing?

Modification for IR means messing with the sensor cover filters and I'd guess it was a difficult thing to do and not get any dust under it. If it shows no sensor dust at f22 then it has been done well and keeping it might be an idea. If it shows lots of dust then you have another reason to send it back.

Other possibility of course is they just fancied keeping the brand new camera and came up with a story!

I've done a couple of test shots and all seems well, I'm going to try a sky shot at f/22 and see what's there. My main concern is that it's a Johnson-Photopia refurb, the last couple I've had looked as if all they had was a wipe down with a damp cloth. :shake:

Hi FitP - quite simply, I wouldn't accept this at all. They damaged your camera, they admitted it even, but they have just not replaced like for like as you stipulated.

Don't accept 2nd best matey, demand that you get what you deserve.

As a company they must be insured against such eventualities and so I would expect nothing less than brand new for replacement. Contact trading standards for advice and let them know your seeking legal advice.

I think they're taking the micky!

Well I don't know what camera you sent in, but if you sent in a D70 and you got a D80 now you are doing OK, and likewise a D200 and you got a D300, you are also up.

So while it might annoy you that you got a refurb, it seems to me you've done OK. I probably woudn't worry too much. They could send you another brand new older model camera again....?

The seller is blaming Warehouse Express, claiming they sold him a secondhand camera as new (although I notice WE have a secondhand/return/scratch 'n' dent section :cautious:), but finally gave me a full refund and has also refunded me the cost of the new camera that he wrecked.

No doubt he'll just pass the camera onto someone else as "new" :shake:

Anyway, all's well that ends well....

All's well that ends well (y)
( apart from you having to buy another camera that is)

How many shots would they need to take to test that its working correctly 20-30 I would ask them questions as to the 3000 actuations and ask if its been one sent back and yours sold or given as a return to another customer as a replacement for the one you had returned

How many shots would they need to take to test that its working correctly 20-30 I would ask them questions as to the 3000 actuations and ask if its been one sent back and yours sold or given as a return to another customer as a replacement for the one you had returned

I was told that they took around a dozen shots to test the camera, looking at their feedback on Ebay the normal turnaround time for the job was a week and mine took a month, so I think there was definitely something going on :cautious:

Never mind, I really wanted an S3 or S5 anyway, I'll get one of those and go get it converted somewhere else...

Back