What would you do?

Name
pretty obvious really.
Edit My Images
Yes
got a few quid to spend and would like to find out what other people would do in my situation. I currently have a Canon 50D and am about to buy a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 but I want to upgrade the camera as I think the autofocus is a little bit slow for what I need so I am looking for an eos 1d mkiii for my motorsport photography. I was also thinking about going full frame for general photography and selling the 50D to get a 5D classic, the thinking being is my 24-105 f4L will suit a full frame body and I am also a little worried about walking around towns and cities with a 1D around my neck, you never know these days who's watching you. Alternatively I could just keep the 50D for general shots and save myself some money, opinions please

I had a 50D and added a 1D3 mainly for wildlife.

What I would say about the 1D3. Whilst it's not full frame, the 1.3 crop does lend itself to nicely to landscapes.

Never had any issues with the 20D, bought a used 70D to replace the 20D because it finally gave up the ghost. I mainly take action photography, motorbikes, cars, aviation (included low level aviation) and never had a issue, but it obviously how you use the camera, if you're a spray and pray tog, then I would probably agree, the autofocus system not as good as a pro sports camera, but if you think about and compose your shots and take 2 or 3 images in a set rather than rattling off as many as the buffer would take, then I an happy get great results majority of the time. I do have a 1D MKIIn but always swap between the 2 depending on which lens is on the body. As for a city camera, bought myself a canon EOS M from £200 from Argos, great bargain. I would buy your lens and see how the combination works before deciding whether to change the camera. As for the 5D classic, doesn't have a great autofocus system, great for portraits and landscapes, but not really suited for action photography, although if you an adapt the way you use it, could work. It's all about understanding the cameras and camera settings and working within your and the cameras limitations

Last edited:
As for the 5D classic, doesn't have a great autofocus system, great for portraits and landscapes, but not really suited for action photography, although if you an adapt the way you use it, could work.

The 5D may not have cutting edge AF by todays standards (what does?) but it's certainly capable of more than portraits and landscapes.

I didn't really want the 5D for action shots, thats what the 1D mkiii is for, I just wondered whether to get one as a "walkabout" camera as its a bit more anonymous than a 1D and theres also the benefit of full frame.

The 5D may not have cutting edge AF by todays standards (what does?) but it's certainly capable of more than portraits and landscapes.

I did say that if you could adapt the way you use it, you could use the camera for other things.
The problem nowadays with action photographers, is that they press the shutter and keep it pressed, the 5D would be suited for that.

Back