Whats an acceptable second body?

Edit My Images
No
Im after a bit of advice.
I got a 5D MKII and at the moment cant afford another one, but ive got 4 jobs in before the end of Sep which will probably give me enough to afford another one, but until then i really want a second body to help me do weddings.

I want to stick a 10-20 on it and leave it there and then use a 50mm 1.4 on the 5D2 for most of the work, and occassionally stick the 24-105 when i want 5D2 performance in group situations.

Thing is, having not used many other camera (400D, 40D) i dont know much about the rest of the range.

I want a decent body that will take acceptable prints with the prime and not be too expensive as i will be selling it not long after.
Ive been told the 30D is a very good cheap "interim" camera, is this right?
Im looking to spend no more than about £300, im goign to rent a wide angle so dont want to factor that into my budget.

Cant really do nikon as im already with Canon Lenses, so thats out of the equation.

Ta for any help.

1D MKIII...

Nah, I'd go for 30 or 40D if it fits in your range

IMHO

the ideal would be a second 5D II, but checks wallet finds large hole!

plan B might be a 5D Mk I
big plus is they work (almost) the same so when 5D II packs up you can flip to 5D I without having to think

IMHO

the ideal would be a second 5D II, but checks wallet finds large hole!

plan B might be a 5D Mk I
big plus is they work (almost) the same so when 5D II packs up you can flip to 5D I without having to think

1DMkIII would be nice, but too heavy (thats my excuse !!!!)

I will be getting a 5D2, but cant afford it yet and wont get the money for it for a couple of months andcant really buy it now and pay it off later, so need seomthing in the meantime.
5D woudl be a very good choice, i like it, but second hand they still go for near enough £1000, which is too much considering i need it for a few jobs then its sold.

50D looks OK, but isnt it the same as the 40D with a few tweaks?
40D second hand goes for about £400, so thats an option i guess.

I would consider a 50d or a 40d as they bring very different things to the party than your 5dII, much better for sport/wildlife which gives you more options if you end up covering something out of the ordinary. Flexibility is in my book a vital aspect of photography

50d is a 40d with tweaks same as a 40d is a 30d with tweaks, I reckon the tweaks are worth the cash for the (lovely) screen (same as your 5dII I think) tweaked AF and ability to micro adjust lenses

but they aren't worth it in everyones eyes so Think over what ya use

ta for that.
I got mine 2nd hand for £640 with 2000 clicks on it.
The tokina cane from OSD in 3 days for £411.

I'm a bit late to the party by the look of it - you seem well sorted, but the short answer to your original question was any body at all rather than relying on one camera for a wedding - could have disastrous consequences!

Back