What's the best monopod head for manfrotto

I had the 234RC monopod head on my 680B, it and the non-rc version are designed for monopods, but I eventually stopped using it as I couldn't really see any advantage in using one for motorsport :shrug:

I never got on with the 234 head, and now use Manfrotto 486RC2 ball. I guess any decent ball head is fine by me on a monopod - I like more movement than the 234 allows, plus the ability to turn the camera vertical.

I've got a Manfrotto 234RC and love it. It does allow the camera to be rotated 90 deg (vertical). But I must admit I don't shoot motorsports at all. The quick release plate is the same for my tripod ball head as well! I don't have to take it off the camera.

I was in the same position, eventually got the 486RC2 and have been very pleased with it (y)

I just got the 681B + 234RC and it seems OK... I like having quick release from the monopod. That said sometimes it feels a bit unnatural when I try to pan and tilt at the same time - because you tilt using the 234RC but pan by moving the monopod. That's probably just feeling strange because I'm new to monopods and used to tripods with ball heads.

i am looking at getting a manfrotto 681b for my D90 and was wondering what head should i get for it?

Go to a shop and try a few heads on monopods to see which YOU prefer. Personally, having tried a ball head and a joystick one, I ended up with an RC234 tilt head with a QR system.

Take a look at the manfrotto 682, free standing with small pull out feet, I use mine a lot.
Morris Photographic, includes the head or an upgrade.
Jim

Back