When should you THROW your DSLR batteries?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone,

I just made my very first short video explaining what you need to look for before you start shooting with regards to battery life. This stems from accidentally picking up the wrong fully charged battery at an actual wedding which had poor recharge performance.

This meant that when I started shooting on what I thought was a full battery, it soon dramatically dropped in power and I was almost left embarrassed by the mistake.

It's time to throw those old DSLR batteries away so here's how you tell if you need to throw yours
View: https://youtu.be/LAdfNZSlQTg

I hope this helps someone out there and I thought it was worth making a video just incase others make that same mistake.
Thank you
Chris

Hello everyone,

I just made my very first short video explaining what you need to look for before you start shooting with regards to battery life. This stems from accidentally picking up the wrong fully charged battery at an actual wedding which had poor recharge performance.

This meant that when I started shooting on what I thought was a full battery, it soon dramatically dropped in power and I was almost left embarrassed by the mistake.

It's time to throw those old DSLR batteries away so here's how you tell if you need to throw yours
View: https://youtu.be/LAdfNZSlQTg

I hope this helps someone out there and I thought it was worth making a video just incase others make that same mistake.
Thank you
Chris

Where did you get the batterys from at £14.99 for 2?, and have they been ok?, my 70d battery has decided to go from 3 bar recharge performance to 1 bar within a days shooting.. Canon wont change the battery, not covered by warrenty, even though the battery as only taken less than 2000 shots ( only ever had 1 battery, and eoscount is 1987).

So dodnt hink i want to be paying £30+ for anpther canon battery

Hi Simon, I got them from Amazon. The product comes under
2PCS FLOUREON® LP-E6 Battery Li-ion Battery 7.4V 2200mAh for Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, EOS 70D, 7D, 60D, 6D, 60Da 2.2Ah Li-ion Black
however today I see that they are unavailable at the moment from the sellers I got them from. Other suppliers must have these on sale though so take a look. Good Luck!

Chris

Where did you get the batterys from at £14.99 for 2?, and have they been ok?, my 70d battery has decided to go from 3 bar recharge performance to 1 bar within a days shooting.. Canon wont change the battery, not covered by warrenty, even though the battery as only taken less than 2000 shots ( only ever had 1 battery, and eoscount is 1987).

So dodnt hink i want to be paying £30+ for anpther canon battery
Is the battery less than 12 months old? and did you buy it from a shop?
If yes, I'd contact them and see what they say, as any warranty problems should be dealt with by them.

Is the battery less than 12 months old? and did you buy it from a shop?
If yes, I'd contact them and see what they say, as any warranty problems should be dealt with by them.

Not a year old till August. Spoke to shop they advised draining the battery flat and charge it fully then pop back in and see them. And leave battery for some tests. Apparently it not covered though under the 12 months

Of course you can carry some spares :rolleyes:

Yeah I more than likely should carry spares. But a, I purchased the camera then things going on so did t take no more than 70 pics in first 5 months. And have used my point and shoot for own stuff and work 70d for work stuff so did t need a spare battery. Done first proper days use of camera other week and like I say I took 400 pics in day and battery was down to 18% by end of day and recharge performance had gone

Chris, whilst I commend your efforts in explaining the technicalities of the batteries, I'm going to take a number of issues in regards to your advice and what you have said. I'm also going to suggest that you have no professional connection to the consumer battery industry. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Before I go any further, I should say that I deal with li-ion batteries on a daily basis in a professional capacity and have over £100k worth in stock at any particular time. I should also say that my business has nothing to do with photographic equipment, but it is involved in expensive, small, portable electronic equipment. In other words, I have no vested interest here, but I know what I'm talking about.

Firstly, Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) batteries are wonderful things! They do not suffer from charge-cycle degredation throughout their expected lifespan, but they DO have a specific lifespan - typically about 400 charge cycles. They cannot be rejuvinated once they have been through these 400 cycles, however, they do not 'die' in a traditional sense. They will contine to accept a charge and will 'appear' to be fully charged.

The 'recharge performance' meter is a bit of a misnomer. What's actually happening here is the battery is telling the camera how many times it has been charged and the camera software is displaying this information in a graphical sense. This will ONLY apply to a (OEM) manufacturers battery, since only the manufacturers battery will be 'programmed' correctly to talk to the camera. Other batteries may well show the apparent recharge performance, but they are talking to the camera in a different language. The camera knows how to display the Canon (or Nikon) language, but it doesn't know how to display a 3rd party battery conversation. So, you might have a battery showing three green bars, but that could be because that's all the camera can display with what it's being told. In other words, it's a meaningless display on anything but a genuine battery.

Now, there are batteries and there are batteries and then there are batteries! The batteries as you see them are simply manufacturers bespoke cartridges containing specific cells.

Canon/Nikon etc will only use a premium quality cell in their branded batteries from the factory. Needless to say, a premium cell isn't cheap, but it's not worth a manufacturers good name puting their faith in anything but the best of cells. THIS is why they are not cheap.

A 'branded' aftermarket battery (Duracell for example) will also use a fairly premium quality cell. The reason is also that they are putting their name on it, so it has to be up to their standards.

A 'cheap' aftermarket battery may be 'branded', but it won't be a recognised brand and it will likely contain fairly cheap cells. It doesn't matter a jot if a cheaper battery has a higher (2200mAh) capacity against the OEM battery capacity. That in itself doesn't make it any better. Someone with a heart condition can have a higher lung capacity than an athelete, but they sure as hell can't run further or faster!

Finally (worst of all) is the fake 'genuine' battery. I once sourced five brand new LP-E6 batteries via eBay for £125 as part of a test. They looked identical to the ones that came with the camera. However, they were totally fake and lasted for about three charge cycles. Upon close inspection with a magnifying glass, the label was found to have a single discrepancy (spelling) in the very small print on one of the re-cycle logos. It actually said 're-dycle'.

So, the morale is that they may look the same, but.......

To give an analogy, the batteries are like cars.

Four Ford Focus cars are in front of you.

One has a tank filled with Shell V-Power petrol
One has a tank filled with BP unleaded petrol
One has a tank filled with a mix of petrol and red diesel
One has a tank filled with pig slurry

All four cars look the same, but two run well, one runs like a bag of spanners and one stalls and dies after two minutes. But hey!, the third and fourth cars are a bit of a bargain.......;)

Just to add to John's VERY informative post above, DON'T simply throw dead LiIon batteries away, recycle them correctly (shops that sell them have to collect dead ones for recycling, so drop the dead one(s) in the box in the store next time you're passing).

Good point Nod.(y) Most recycle centres have a recepticle for dud batteries these days.

One more thing I forgot to say. Because of the 'charge cycle lifespan' of the li-ion batteries, the best way to treat them (from a £ point of view) is to charge them up fully and then use them to empty. To use the car analogy again, don't 'fill-up' the battery until until the fuel light comes on! It doesn't matter if the battery is empty, or if it's 3/4 full, a charge cycle is still a charge cycle.

The other thing is that leaving a battery on charge for an extended period of time is never a good idea. It just cooks them. Overnight is perfectly fine, three weeks in a charger isn't.

Finally, if you are not going to use your li-ion batteries regularly it is best to store them (>3 months) with about 40% charge left in them. Hopefully this line doesn't apply - if it does, you need to get out more with your camera!!:D

Last edited:
Good point Nod.(y) Most recycle centres have a recepticle for dud batteries these days.

One more thing I forgot to say. Because of the 'charge cycle lifespan' of the li-ion batteries, the best way to treat them (from a £ point of view) is to charge them up fully and then use them to empty. To use the car analogy again, don't 'fill-up' the battery until until the fuel light comes on! It doesn't matter if the battery is empty, or if it's 3/4 full, a charge cycle is still a charge cycle.

The other thing is that leaving a battery on charge for an extended period of time is never a good idea. It just cooks them. Overnight is perfectly fine, three weeks in a charger isn't.

Finally, if you are not going to use your li-ion batteries regularly it is best to store them (>3 months) with about 40% charge left in them. Hopefully this line doesn't apply - if it does, you need to get out more with your camera!!:D

Whilst I totally agreed with your first post, this one is not quite correct with regards to charge cycles.
A charge cycle is when you have discharged your battery by 100%. This does not have to be in one go. Discharging by 50%, charging in to 100% and the discharging to 50% and recharging to 100% again would only count as one charge cycle.

Devices that count charge cycles can be coded differently and some may be more conservative in that they will count a charge cycle when the charge drops by 70% or 80% instead of 100%, but that is just to do with coding.

Apple also disagree with you on this point
https://www.apple.com/uk/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

And here
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-get-the-most-from-li-ion-batteries/

And here
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-get-the-most-from-li-ion-batteries/

Some laptop manufacturers also suggest only charging your battery to 80% to prolong the life of the battery and Samsung have a utility called battery saver that does just this. It prevents the battery from charging beyond 80%.

Also the life of x charge cycles is also usually the number of cycles before the battery can only hold 80% of original capacity. It's is certainly not the end of the battery life, just that the battery life will be degraded.

Last edited:
Whilst I totally agreed with your first post, this one is not quite correct with regards to charge cycles.<snip>Apple also disagree with you on this point
Well, I can't claim to be the global expert and have no wish to disagree with you or Apple! ;)

Anyway, I'm sure we can agree on the most impiortant aspect of li-ion batteries. Cheap ones are usually cheap for a very simple reason, and it's the fool who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing....(y)

Back