Where should I buy my domain, and where should I get it hosted?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry if this has been asked before but this is the first time I've ever tried to do this and to be honest I'm a bit lost!

There seem to be hundreds of places I can do exactly the same thing and no idea why I should pick one over the other....

I've done some web development before so once I get it setup I feel as though I'll be fine to operate it, but the first steps of getting it setup are a mystery to me!!

I don't need any kind of eStore functions as it's more for me to play around with at this point and then I can add those things later

Thanks

Matt

I bought mine from my host. TSO Host.
Just make sure you own the domain and not the host and that there won't be any issues if you need to transfer it.

Personally I'd stay away from companies like godaddy

thanks guys

I'll take a look at these and pick one, was a bit dubious about using 123 or 1and1 etc so glad I asked here :)

Just curious, what's dubious with 1and1? I've used them for 11 years without a problem.

For me it was just that they had very flashy cheap looking websites and I wasn't sure how reliable/professional they would be, especially as the whole site seemed geared towards getting me to add as many things as possible to the cart before checkout!

I'd never heard of TSO before but I've already bought three domains on there now, very slick interface and no attempt to push products on you, just clear and detailed info at every step :)

quick edit to clarify that I think the 1and1/123-reg websites looks cheap not the ones hosted on them :)

Last edited:
I've used both 1and1 and 123-reg previously and they have been ok but not great. The support is patchy and slow, with vidahost I typically get a proper response within 5 minutes of logging a ticket, performance always seems good too, which is more than I can say re 1&1 and 123.

I have three with TSO Host

I use UK2 and have always found them reliable and helpful. I only use it for hosting fairly basic stuff but they offer a full service.

I use fasthostingdirect after a recommendation on here. Cheap, good service.

I'll take a look at these and pick one, was a bit dubious about using 123 or 1and1 etc so glad I asked here :)

why? because photogrpahers know best? for photogrpahy advice do you visit a web forum ? :)

123 reg is very reliable for domains... someone like tsohost is good for hosting.. as boliston mentions.. good to keep seperate.. ......apart from being a photogrpaher I ahve had domains and hosting for over 20 years now using many different companies.. :)

Use to use UK2 but found that some of the domain management stuff was only provided for additional charge. Movedd to 123 Reg and have always found that they give a complete and reliable service.

Keep your domain name registration separate from your hosting would be my first bit of advice

For .co.uk domain names I use UKReg

For.com domain names I use Namecheap

And for my hosting I use TSOHost

What's the advantage of keeping them separate? It seems easy enough to move the name registration around with most reputable hosts.

I seem to switch webhosts fairly regularly (although I'm hoping my current webhost will be a "keeper") but the last thing I want to worry about when switching webhosts is to have to faff about switching domain hosting as well!

I seem to switch webhosts fairly regularly (although I'm hoping my current webhost will be a "keeper") but the last thing I want to worry about when switching webhosts is to have to faff about switching domain hosting as well!

That makes more sense, was confused by your earlier single point of failure reasoning since either out will cause your site to fail you were actually increasing the chances by splitting, but the above reasoning is better ;)

Back