Where to buy? - Metal hole protector plates

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

I'll be making a couple of nesting boxes soon for local birdies and was wondering where you can get the cover plates for entrance holes?

Tried Googling and couldn't find anything..

Would prefer the brass effect ones if at all possible.

Thanks for any help :)

Out of interest what is the purpose of these, I have nesting boxes spread about in woodland and prefer to see the entrances worn and weathered.

Just helps protect against grey squirrels and the like from getting easy access to the chicks :)

A local engineering factory or a metal work "shop" perhaps?
buy a "square of brass or whatever you want and drill the appropriate sized hole
or get it drilled as above?
Though I doubt that brass plate would stop a squirrel for long stainless steel would be better

A local engineering factory or a metal work "shop" perhaps?
buy a "square of brass or whatever you want and drill the appropriate sized hole
or get it drilled as above?
Though I doubt that brass plate would stop a squirrel for long stainless steel would be better

Cheers for the reply...

The plates I've seen are zinc powder coated; very similar to the yellowy chipboard screws you get in DIY shops, so that kind of colour, not made from brass but stainless steel or similar.

The only hole drills I have are for wood, which are used with an arbor but won't do metal. I'll have a ring around tomorrow I think.

Thanks for the replies :)

Back