Where to sell a Leica M2 and lens?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Have one in the classifieds here but will have to get lucky to sell as there doesn't seem much demand historically here. I hate ebay so any ideas where may be worth trying to sell this?

Rangefinderforum, although if you aren't a member there already it might be difficult. That's probably the most active market for old RF gear that I can think of. I also see quite a bit of old Leica gear on Gumtree, no idea how strongly it sells for though.

We don't really have many Leica film users here, I know there's a few M4, M2 and M3 owners about but they are rarely the main/sole camera for that person. Additionally, people tend to either be in the market for bodies or lenses with Leica gear... rarely both in a combined package.

Not sure why you say you hate ebay.
At the end of the day its where you will attract the most buyers and a well laid out auction with plenty of pictures will sell for top money every time.

I think people just dislike paying fees

At the end of the day its where you will attract the most buyers and a well laid out auction with plenty of pictures will sell for top money every time.

Agree - and I think generally you can get more money on ebay, which more than covers the fees you pay. I suppose some people have had bad experiences on ebay, maybe that's what puts them off. I sell stuff on here where possible, but in truth the marketplace is tiny.

Was burnt a while back with PayPal. No protection at all for sellers. If in 4 weeks buyer says its not as described they shaft you. Don't mind eBay for small stuff but not with this, unless cash on collection but I believe you have to accept PP.

RFF seems a bit US biased?

RFF is US biased, but there are quite a few sales that originate from the UK and Europe. You may get some interest from European buyers!

I've never sold to them but Peter Walnes https://secure.peterwalnes.com are always looking for Leica kit either for cash, part-exchange or commission sale basis.

It may be worth giving them a call.

There's a really lovely shop up near the British Museum in London that deal in second hand Leicas. A friend sold some stuff to them and they gave him a really good price. Can anyone here suggest who the shop is? Otherwise I'll see if I can find out from the friend.

Am holding off selling to a dealer. For obvious reasons the amount I would get would be much lower than selling myself as they need a markup.

I think both Peter Walnes and Ffordes do commission sales, I not sure what percentage they take though. I would have thought, as others have said, selling on here or Rangefinder forum are your best bets if you want to sell privately, although you may have to wait to find a buyer. I've never sold on RFF but have bought from there and there are a surprising number of UK based members on there.

Ops! Wrong thread!

:p :p

Last edited:
Back