Where to stay in the lake view district

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I meant to say lake district not lake view district, woops!

As the title says im looking to go to the lake district sometime in february and was wondering if anyone could reccomend anywhere?

obviously i would want it to be somewhere with good photographic opertunities.

Thankyou for any suggestions :)

Last edited:
Has to be Keswick for me every time.

If you want a recommendation of where to stay try HERE

A few more details, coming by car, staying hotel, Cottage, B&B, Tent etc just a few preferences, do you want to be near civilisation ?

Lake District is a big place really !

i will be coming by car, would prefer b&b but im open to peoples opinions on what the best accomodation is. i would like to be near a few pubs ideally.

cheers :)

i will be coming by car, would prefer b&b but im open to peoples opinions on what the best accomodation is. i would like to be near a few pubs ideally.

cheers :)

While Keswick is great, never rule out the South Lakes, giving easy access to the Central and Western Lakes and some gorgeous valleys like Langdale, Kentmere ( EL ), Longsleddle ( EL ) etc

Staying in a village like Staveley...........

http://www.eaglechildinn.co.uk/ - good pint and good honest food.

Or Ings

http://www.watermillinn.co.uk/ - not eaten there in a long time but ale is good !

You are 10 minutes off Junc 36 M6, 10 Mins from Lake Windermere, about 20 mins to Dunmail if you fancy trying your hand at fast jets and maybe 35 minutes from Keswick.

It is easy to get to Grizdale Forest, Coniston, Rydal, Haweswater and even over to the Western Lakes and Eskdale, Ennerdale, Wastwater, Wasdale etc by either the easy way ( A590 + A595 ) or the hard way ( Hard = Hardknott + Wrynose )

Keswick is for tourists ;)

Thankyou very much for your replys! very helpful indeed. ideally i want to cram in as much as i can into a couple of days a possible.

South Lakes for me too.. Wasdale, Muncaster Castle, Hardknott, St Bees..

Although Hardknott Pass might be 'fun' in February!

Wasdale Head Inn is lovely. There are some great b & bs in St Bees.

Wish i was there now!

Darren

http://www.watermillinn.co.uk - not eaten there in a long time but ale is good !

I've eaten there in the past year and it was excellent. Huge portion of Fish, Chips and mushy peas so big even I couldn't finish it. Also had good reports from SBT Rescue members who stayed there saying their room was nice and breakfast is good. I think it gets booked up pretty quick though which again is probably a good sign.

There's a pub at the top of wastwater I think it's the wasdale head in. Comfortable, good food and ale and not a TV in site unless you manage to bunk up with the proprietor.

Thanks for everyones help, very helpful as usual:)

Grasmere
A lovely hotel called the Gold Rill which overlooks the lake and is only 1 mins walk from the centre of Grasmere. From here you can head up the A591 to Keswick or down to Ambleside and Windermere. There is also an interesting road over the top to Elterwater if you fancy some entertaining driving.

The hotel is family run and people often come back year after year. We stayed there 2 years ago and plan to go back next year. The 5 course dinner in the evening was fantastic :D and you would be charged a lot for that alone in Keswick, Windermere for example.

Keswick seems popular!

Whenever i have been to the lakes we have been in Bowness which is on Windermere. Ambleside is about a 10 minute drive up Windermere and its all just very nice :D

I'm going in January and have booked this place, for a week, they have several properties, and it's right on Ulswater. The prices are awesome to, can't say what it's like but the people who own it sound pretty nice.

http://www.swarthbeckfarm.co.uk/index.htm

Last edited:
Looks nice, their properties look like they're all on the Howtown side of the lake which is pretty quiet

Yup they are on the howtown side, not to far from pooley bridge.

I've stayed in the activity centre there a few years ago. Some stunning views, especially if you climb to the top of Hallin Fell.

Back