Which backpack / rucsac?

Edit My Images
Yes
Im' after a rucsac for when i go away later this month. I just needs to hold my 40D fitted with 24-105mm lens with a spare 70-200mm lens. I want to take it on the flight with me so need space for passport, sunglasses, ipod, magazine etc.. Ideally i want it to have a separate compartment for the camera. There may be the odd time when i will need to put a towel in the rucsac for the beach.
I have been looking at the Crumpler range but there are so many to choose from. Any advice or help please? :thinking:

I use a Lowepro Fastpack 200 and it would fit all the camera gear you have listed in no probs. The space for personal gear is nice also I usually carry a spare pair of socks, lunchbox and light jacket in mine it has loads of space in other sections for wee odds and sods like batteries, pens, notepad, filters etc too. There is a cracking site called www.cambags.com that has reviews and pics of loads of types of bags/backpacks which may be worth you taking a look at. (y)

Tommy

Another recommendation for the Lowepro Fastpack range. I have a 350 (with laptop section) and it is a very nice bag, especially with the fast access for a camera. Unfortunately it's very slightly too big for budget airline hand luggage requirements, but with other airlines it should fit within requirements.

The top section is big enough for a few items of clothing or supplies for an overnight stay, and if you don't carry a laptop around, then the laptop bit is handy for magazines and documents.

When I was researching, I had a look at the Tamrac Aero Speed 85 which seemed pretty nice too also with fast camera access door on the side.

EDIT: The Fastpack 350 holds my 40D with grip and Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 attached, plus 2 smaller lenses and accessories. You can adjust the internal bits to accomodate a larger lens such as the 70-200mm attached, but I don't know if you can fit a 24-105 and 70-200 at the same time since I do not own those lenses.

Be sure that whatever you buy is deep enough for your 40D, especially if you have a battery grip fitted.

Another vote here for the Lowepro Fastpack.... great piece of kit.

Another recommendation for the Lowepro Fastpack range. I have a 350 (with laptop section) and it is a very nice bag, especially with the fast access for a camera. Unfortunately it's very slightly too big for budget airline hand luggage requirements, but with other airlines it should fit within requirements.

The top section is big enough for a few items of clothing or supplies for an overnight stay, and if you don't carry a laptop around, then the laptop bit is handy for magazines and documents.

When I was researching, I had a look at the Tamrac Aero Speed 85 which seemed pretty nice too also with fast camera access door on the side.

EDIT: The Fastpack 350 holds my 40D with grip and Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 attached, plus 2 smaller lenses and accessories. You can adjust the internal bits to accomodate a larger lens such as the 70-200mm attached, but I don't know if you can fit a 24-105 and 70-200 at the same time since I do not own those lenses.

How does the Fastpack 200/350 compare with the Primus AW with regards camera section capacity and space for personal stuff in the top?

Sorry to hijack thread, but has anybody got/used the Lowepro Primus?
If so, will a Canon 400d with grip fit through the access gap?
Thanks.

Sorry to hijack thread, but has anybody got/used the Lowepro Primus?
If so, will a Canon 400d with grip fit through the access gap?
Thanks.

I had the Primus and even though it looks like a really good bag well made etc I sold it because there was absolutely no way I could get my D300 with grip through the side pocket it was a tight fit even without the grip!!! So anyone getting this bag be very aware of the size of your camera smaller than a d300 and it will be a great bag.
I bought the fastpack 350 and 200 instead of the primus they are better in every way in my opinion, more room for camera equipment and more room for other stuff, they just have a few less adjustment straps.
Fastpack 200 does not have chest strap or waist strap I bought some webbing and some clips from e-bay for about £5 and made my own chest strap which is indistinguishable from the real thing.

I might be selling my Crumpler Messenger Boy full photo backpack if your interested. Will carry all your equipment and has a laptop compartment as well (which can for example hold a folded towel.

I have the Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW and it's going to be too small for what you want, in particular the space for personal belongings.

How does the Fastpack 200/350 compare with the Primus AW with regards camera section capacity and space for personal stuff in the top?

Sorry, I haven't tried any Primus bags to compare. But camera wise, it (FP350) can apparently hold a pro/gripped body with 70-200 f2.8 attached and 2-3 additional lenses in the camera section. In the top bit, I can fit my Polaroid camera, pack of film, a lunchbox and little random bits. I usually fit a hoodie in the laptop section (folded up) and a magazine/newspaper.

The only problem I can see with the Fastpack is the lack of tripod carrying facility :(

I usually carry a monopod around by putting it in the water bottle mesh thingy and attaching the monopod wrist strap thingy to the top of the shoulder strap on the backpack to keep it secure. And if I carry a tripod around, I have a separate shoulder bag for it (a nice Velbon one which cost me £5!)

lack of tripod holding was annoying on my fp350 and it was dammed tight on a 50d gripped, was fine without though. I liked mine and only flogged it for a think tank when I ran out of room for kit and I find the tripod mount handy for a brolly and lightstand

Back