Which camera

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

Really interested in getting into film photography after playing around with my d3100 for a while now. Total beginner with this subject just want to know what is a good camera that won't cost the world but will get me going in the right direction.

Also where to get it I'm guessing eBay will be a good place to start, but any other suggestions will be great.

Thanks Jamie

Hi Jamie, welcome the the f&c bit of TP, you've come to the right place.

Firstly, what do you want to get out of using a film camera? As you've got a Nikon already that may be a good place to start although not absolutely necessary.

Do you want to stick with an SLR or do you want to try something simple like a point and shoot or maybe even a rangefinder?

The possibilities are endless but I would suggest something like a simple film SLR that is completely manual that you can learn the basics and go from there.

There a huge wealth of knowledge on the forum so any questions you have, someone on here will have the answer for you.

Nikon FG buddy with a 50mm F1.8 lens !

Manual focus with Apature priority

There might not be much lens crossover from your Nikon to a film Nikon because of the image circle problem. Film Nikons are, not surprisingly, full frame!

There are many options, but my assumption would be that you are looking for a rather different experience rather than just the same thing in film. So, as Nick says, full manual focus, aperture, shutter speed etc. But you probably want a TTL light meter, at least at first. There are many SLRs that fit this bill, from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax etc (alphabetical rather than quality order, the Pentaxes are of course best ;) ).

If you want to try a completely different approach, there are quite a few rangefinder cameras, including the rather more expensive Leicas, Bessas etc (but not insanely stupidly expensive, as in digital Leicas!).

And then there's medium format... and then there's large format... one thing you'll always have in the Dark Side is plenty of choice!

(BTW see our sticky on getting your first film camera.)

Don't forget Contax... a lot cheaper than they used to be.
You'll more than likely have DX lenses, so crossover with lenses for a film camera is maybe not a point worth considering. Yashica lenses are cheaper options for Contax cameras.

Older M42 lenses are worth considering. M42 mount cameras are cheap and easy to find.

Dirt cheap Praktica MTL5
Still cheap Minolta X-500 or X-700
Konica TC everyone overlooks, still cheap
If you select Canon you have cheaper lenses to choose from.
Anyway before you decide to purchase let the forum know what lens is on the camera as that is the most important part for quality shots.

Thanks for all the comments.

What's the difference with a range finder and medium format? Totally newbie sorry.

There's loads of camera bodies on eBay but no lenses. Is there anywhere else I can look?

What's the difference with a range finder and medium format? Totally newbie sorry.

There's loads of camera bodies on eBay but no lenses. Is there anywhere else I can look?

Well the digital guys (and I suppose some film guys as I have too many cameras) just want the lenses, so sellers try to make more money by selling the camera bodies and lenses separately.

A range finder is a type of camera and medium format basically means a larger negative compared to 35mm..with the larger neg you get better quality

I can't think of a better place to start than a Minolta X-300 with the great 50mm 1.8 kit lens. You can pick them up from the auction site for less than twenty quid. Dirt cheap batteries and an aperture priority auto mode.

Jamie, if you're not specifically looking for the rangefinder or medium format options (which are just different approaches, really), then your best bet is to stick with a fully manual SLR.

You will find plenty of body plus lens combos on the bay (at least in the Pentax part). However, there are also plenty of lenses; once you have a body, you can then search for the specific lenses that match it. Everyone has their own favourites, and many of these guys have used many more different kinds than I have, but I can see at least a couple of BIN Pentax MX cameras with the 50mm f/1.7 lens for just under £100. IMHO that's a bit over the top for price, as per usual, and you could probably get it for less by bidding on some. You can also get them from reputable used camera shops with a warranty, eg this one from Ffordes at £99 with lens (not advertising, no connection and never used them yet, just an example): http://www.ffordes.com/product/13080111581881.

The MX only uses its batteries (2 cheap, easily available LR44s) for the meter, so you can use it without a battery. Small, light, beautifully balanced... damn it, I may need to buy another one :bang:!

Nikon F80 in the film forum here !!!!!

Ok, I am selling but its effectively a DSLR that takes film, meters and AF which is nice if new to film. Did have an FE which is also a great camera, meters but manual focus only.

I would stick to either of these as a starter and then if you like film do what I did - get a Medium format Rollei and a Leica M2!

Hi guys quick update just bought a praktica mtl 5b. Just need a lens now

Hi guys quick update just bought a praktica mtl 5b. Just need a lens now

Oh dear you should have bought it with a lens as the lens is worth more than the camera body..... anyway congrats.

A good cheap 50mm-ish lens would be Helios 44m or Meyer\Pentacon or any of the Pentax screw lenses but they are a bit more expensive

Last edited:
Yup the Heilos 44 is a good place to start. Make sure you hold the camera steady. Those old Prakticas kick like a police horse during the riots!

My mistake plc2 don't know why I said that before, anyway looks like I made the wrong choice then?

What's a good film to buy now just get going and when I get it?

My mistake plc2 don't know why I said that before, anyway looks like I made the wrong choice then? What's a good film to buy now just get going and when I get it?

Get down to poundland and buy some Agfa vista. I forget how much it is :)

Then go to asda/snappy snaps/max Whatshisface and get your pictures devved and scanned to disc. Best way to start.

My mistake plc2 don't know why I said that before, anyway looks like I made the wrong choice then?

What's a good film to buy now just get going and when I get it?

The MTL5 is a good basic camera and you will like it (I have this plus the MTL3 in my collection), but it's cheaper to buy it with a lens than buy them separately.......that's why I said "Oh dear" :)
It's uses the old mercury battery for the meter, but if it's not working... either use the camera without or put a 1.5v in and adjust the knob (on the camera) for ASA (ISO) to agree with your digital camera exposure readings. (y)

Thanks for all your help I will show you my photos soon

where in Kent are you Jamie ?
( if you havnt got any glass yet i might have something that will fit )

is it an m42 screw ? ,,,,,,,anyone let me know plz

Last edited:
where in Kent are you Jamie ?
( if you havnt got any glass yet i might have something that will fit )

is it an m42 screw ? ,,,,,,,anyone let me know plz

He said he has bought a MTL5 which would be M42.

thanks Brian ,,Jamie if you havnt got a lens for it im sure ive got a 50mm you can have ,just let me know ( goes into the loft to make sure :D )

Back