Which Canon Flash?

Name
Blarg
Edit My Images
Yes
All,

My current set up is a 7D, 70-200 F2.8 IS L Mk2, an 85mm F1.2 L, and a 24-70 F2.8 L. However, I'm missing any flash guns (sadface!). The only real indoor work I do is for weddings of friends and family.

I've used a Speedlight 600 before but just wondering if it's overkill for an on-body flash? (It's quite heavy after all). I really have no idea about flashes :(

if you just want to use a seperate flash gun from the hotshoe I would not be buying any of the top line offerings look at the 430ex2 which can be had in the buy/sell area of this forum quite often for about £120 which is a good buy I have 3rd party flashguns and the 430 is the one I use most
just no issues at all works great all the time

Thanks everyone - any reason for the lack of love of the 600 series flash?

Price I think .. the Yongnuo 568 is only £80 on Amazon. It's a fraction of the price of Canon speed guns, and they seem to offer the same functionality. I'm wondering how long until Canon sue them!

Thanks everyone - any reason for the lack of love of the 600 series flash?

dont think there is no Love for the 600 series I would have one in a heartbeat - but you suggest your going to be working with the flash on camera so the 600 has tons of features that you dont need

i think the 600's with the in built radio triggers look awesome but they cost £360 as opposed to the many cheaper alternatives
if you can afford the 600 go for it

but like I said earlier I had 3 flashes and I used the 430ex 2 all the time and still use it at work everyday and in 2 years it has never missed a beat

I've got two 430ex2s, one new and one used of here and tbh I can't tell the difference between the two except for the serial numbers. I also marked the used one with a marker inside the battery compartment. Anyway when I looked into flash I decided to get the 430 and not lower because canon had cash back and there wasn't much difference in price between the 430 and the next one down. Now I'm glad I did because I use it off camera a lot, which you can't do with the lower models. I get on fine with them on and off camera. If you can try one in a shop or something might be worth the time.

Ah sweet - guess it makes sense as I've got no real interest (at the moment) of having off camera flash. Using the 600 just confused me with all the random settings it had.

I guess if I ever move to trying off camera stuff I can always get the expensive flashes then.

As above, if you can afford a real 600, it's the best system to buy into.

The 600 is the 'bees knees', but of course its not cheap. Albeit you will likely never want for anything else.

For my use, the 430 EXll, was adequate, and with the £40 cash-back, wasn't too expensive.

I bought two of them, and fire them off-camera with Yongnuo 622C units.

Dave

Dave thank you :) I'll try the 430EXII and see how I get on with it, the 600 is really rather heavy too.. but I do like how bright it can be.

Back