Which filmstocks would you take to Iceland and Norway?

Name
Ethan
Edit My Images
Yes
Next week I am traveling to Norway and Iceland for two weeks. I am super excited to shoot some film there! I plan to shoot mostly nature and landscapes and possibly some architecture as well. Which filmstocks would you recommend taking? I was thinking mostly Ektar 100, Fuji C200 and maybe Fuji 400H. I am also considering some Kodak filmstocks such as Portra 400 or Kodak Colorplus. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Bit of black and white maybe?

Out of interest, what format(s) are you planning on shooting?

Also, do you plan on shooting on a tripod for the most part?

Last edited:
Out of interest, what format(s) are you planning on shooting?

Also, do you plan on shooting on a tripod for the most part?
Just 35mm. I'm taking a tripod with me but I don't think I will have time to use it much as we plan to do quite a lot of hiking

Ok, then in which case I'd say the film choices you outline form quite a good selection. The higher ISO will allow you to stop down even in daylight to keep your depth of field as high as one might like, and are still sensitive enough to hand hold in a pinch if the weather is gloomy. As Andy suggests above, perhaps throw in a few rolls of 400 speed B&W film, if that's your thing :)

I do like Ektar as a film, but as you have suggested, a tripod will be used perhaps less often than one might like with all the time in the world. No idea on your circumstances, but I may be tempted to take two 35mm bodies. Weather in these countries is notoriously changeable, and personally I'd not want to be stuck shooting landscapes with ISO100 film, handheld, in gloomy weather, on - for the sake of assumption - non-VR/IS/whatever lenses.

<Irrelevant>
If it were me going, I'd very likely take a single medium format camera with interchangeable backs - like the RB67 - and shoot on Ektar 100 / Velvia 50 in one back, and Portra 400 / Pro 400H in another back. Or depending on activities and circumstances, I'd take large format :D
</Irrelevant>

Ok, then in which case I'd say the film choices you outline form quite a good selection. The higher ISO will allow you to stop down even in daylight to keep your depth of field as high as one might like, and are still sensitive enough to hand hold in a pinch if the weather is gloomy. As Andy suggests above, perhaps throw in a few rolls of 400 speed B&W film, if that's your thing :)

I do like Ektar as a film, but as you have suggested, a tripod will be used perhaps less often than one might like with all the time in the world. No idea on your circumstances, but I may be tempted to take two 35mm bodies. Weather in these countries is notoriously changeable, and personally I'd not want to be stuck shooting landscapes with ISO100 film, handheld, in gloomy weather, on - for the sake of assumption - non-VR/IS/whatever lenses.

<Irrelevant>
If it were me going, I'd very likely take a single medium format camera with interchangeable backs - like the RB67 - and shoot on Ektar 100 / Velvia 50 in one back, and Portra 400 / Pro 400H in another back. Or depending on activities and circumstances, I'd take large format :D
</Irrelevant>
Thank you so much, this is actually really helpful! I really like your suggestion to take two 35mm cameras - I'm deffinitely doing that.

I shoot colour film 90% of tim plus I suppose the landscape is going to be beautifuly coloured there but I might throw one or two rolls of HP5 into my bag and see :)

Regarding the mdium format cameras - unfortunately I don't own any yet.

Next week I am traveling to Norway and Iceland for two weeks. I am super excited to shoot some film there! I plan to shoot mostly nature and landscapes and possibly some architecture as well. Which filmstocks would you recommend taking? I was thinking mostly Ektar 100, Fuji C200 and maybe Fuji 400H. I am also considering some Kodak filmstocks such as Portra 400 or Kodak Colorplus. I would love to hear your thoughts!
Cant help with film, but interested in your trip as i have a a Norwegian wife and go there every couple years to visit family, we cant go there without having to into quarantine, do you have to, but enjoy your trip it a lovely photogenic country.

Cant help with film, but interested in your trip as i have a a Norwegian wife and go there every couple years to visit family, we cant go there without having to into quarantine, do you have to, but enjoy your trip it a lovely photogenic country.
We are all fully vaccinated and from Slovakia which is on a green list - that's why we can go without having to quarantine I think :) It's my first time visiting and I can't wait!

Lucky you sir, i envy you but take a sack full of money with you its mega expensive there, buy all your film before you leave, according to family over there uk residents are not are not that welcome at the moment because of our Covid infection rates, have a lovely time and thank you for replying. :D

Back