Which flash will be best?

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Fancied trying out using flash as I'm a bit new to this, so went to a boot sale this morning and got:

Canon Speedlite 277T
Vivitar 628AF
Miranda 550 OM

Waiting for my batteries to charge but just thought I'd see what peoples opinions are on them.

Oh yeah, they cost me the princely sum of £1 each, along with a nice leather lens case for 50p. :)

I would not put any of them on the hot shoe, only use them with wireless triggers. Some of these old flashes can fry the circuit boards on digital cameras.

Just put the batteries in and they are all working, but you've now scared me by the above comment.

Has anyone actually had any problems with putting old flashes on new cameras?

Just put the batteries in and they are all working, but you've now scared me by the above comment.

Has anyone actually had any problems with putting old flashes on new cameras?

Not me personally but you can easily fry a camera doing so. You should always check the voltages.

The 277T should be fine. Just match the Iso settings on the body and the flash and away you go although I suggest keeping the shutter speed less than 1/200th. You obviously won't have E-TTL functionality but it's an excellent way to learn.

The Vivitar and Miranda flashes were made in different versions to suit different bodies so I would urge caution using those on the hotshoe.

All at your own risk....my response is based on the flash working as designed

Bob

Thanks for the advice Bob, I shall have a play with the Speedlite tonight then.

Do you know if there's any way of physically telling what mount my flashes will be for?

Back