Which is better?

Name
Annaliese
Edit My Images
No
Which is better?
Canon or Nikon?

I currently have a canon 500d and looking to upgrade but if i do i would like to know which to upgrade to and whether to switch to nikon?

Thanks

Personal preference really. I think this is just like the Mac Vs Windows war (even though Mac is superior....duh)!

Anyway I've always been a Canon guy so that's the route I went down :). If you're upgrading then think about your options too, do you go from a crop frame to full-frame, or just go for crop-frame but better spec?

What lenses do you currently have? If you decide to switch systems you will have these to change too.
Unless you have a very good reason to change to Nikon, you are probably as well sticking to canon and moving up a couple of models or to full frame etc

at the moment i only have the kit lens.. but wanted slightly better quality then the 500d and have been told the colouring in canons are too fake?

Get a Nikon, Canon are rubbish.

Ok I lied. Get what takes your fancy at the price you can afford, they are all good.

Because this is a massive can of worms that has been talked to death like all the other great rivalries in the world. Ever.

If there was a best then we would all have the same things made by the same companies. But... we don't.

If you have a Canon and have a few lenses then stick with Canon. If you fancy a Nikon and like the look of one then go Nikon. My advice would be to go to your local shop that stocks both and try them out in your hand and see how they feel/fit. Nothing more i can offer.

at the moment i only have the kit lens.. but wanted slightly better quality then the 500d and have been told the colouring in canons are too fake?

Canon seems to be on the warmer side whereas Nikon likes to produce a green tint.

The best brand of camera is the brand you feel most comfortable with. Go to a good camera shop and handle as many brands as you can. Compare how they feel and how easy the controls are to use. There are differences. I have arthritis quite badly in my fingers and I found that Canon felt considerably easier to use so that' the directionin which I went. You may favour another brand. Just be aware that some brands have a wider range of lenses than others, so have an eye on the type of photography you wish to do and ensure suitable lenses are available.

Canon People will say go for Canon

Nikon people will say go for Nikon

Its purely personal preference, best thing to do is to go to a dealer that stocks both and have a touch feel at both manufacturers and if available have a look at the other manufacturers.

I shoot Canon, I dont really know why I chose Canon but when I bought my first SLR I chose Canon for no particular reason and I suspect thats how a lot of people fall into one brand or another.

I am studying for a photography degree and during the course of my study I have noticed that, the paps and sports photogrpahers tend to shoot Canon, the lanscapers tend to shoot Nikon but the real famous pros shoot with stuff that the mere mortal would never be able to afford.

So swings and roundabouts apples and pears same but different and differently the same so its personal preference

Hope this helps..

There is nothing at all wrong with the 500d! IQ and colour are as good as anything else if you are prepared to work at it. There are a lot of REAL photographers using the 500d, which is near state of the art. You don't need a newer, or more expensive camera to take great pics, but better glass will help.

If you really want to get great colour, get a Fuji S3 pro DSLR. You won't find better - you can find a decent 12mp S3 pro body for around £200. Not recognised if you are a kit pimp, but a damned fine pro SLR for all that, and it will take the entire Nikon range of lenses. It's velvia mode produces fabulous colour, beautifully saturated, and the camera is a favourite of wedding photographers. Read some reviews, you'll find them very interesting.

Newbies care about cameras, enthusiasts think it's about lenses and photographers know it's all about the light.

Spend some money on training and going to interesting places to shoot. That'll improve your photographs more than a £5000 camera ever could.

I'll go further, you posted an image for critique, you had lots and lots of great advice in that thread. Did anyone suggest a new camera would help?

In short a 1dx and 24-70 will cost you a fortune, but is perfectly capable of shooting pictures exactly like you're shooting now.

Last edited:
Which is better?
Canon or Nikon?

They make equally good paperweights. And that answer's about as sensible as the question ;)

Better for what?

(and don't say "taking pictures" - because the best camera for that is always the one in your hand, regardless of make or model)

Get a Nikon, Canon are rubbish...
:withstupid:
biggrin1.gif

And I'm totally unbiased too! :wave:

But on the other hand, if you already have a Canon with lens, why not just upgrade the body?

Speaking of image quality, I would dare anyone to tell from any photo which camera/lens was used in the making...

As some of the guys already said - Nikon or Canon cannot be answered easily. I think it is safe to say that except for the very cheapest models, cameras from both makes will produce very nice images, with small differences. IMHO you have to look what is the best camera for the type of photography you want to do. Or at the price range you're aiming for, and then see which of the two makes the better camera for the amount of money you want to spend.

I would rely more comparing specs and reading reviews, and maybe even trying the camera at the store, than on a generalising statement which brand is better. And not to forget - there are other companies which make great cameras too. In the price range of the 500D, why not look at micro four thirds? They do have advantages, like size and some also have interesting operating concepts, and their image quality may be perfectly good enough for what you want.

That said, I switched from Canon to Nikon (a D800 currently) last year, but not because Nikon is better, but because the D800 has features which are good for the type of pictures I want to shoot. If I were into shooting moving people or even sports, I'd have a Canon, because they offer better priced cameras which are good for those categories. Or even an Olympus OMD E-M1, which features a max shutter speed of 1/16000 (although snapsort says otherwise).

That new camera has given me better pictures, but not because 'Nikon is better', but for one because this particular camera has a very high dynamic range and color depth and I often take pictures which require this, and secondly because I spend a lot of time thinking and preparing the pictures, so I actually try to use the camera properly and make the best use of what it can do.

For other purposes, a Canon may be better. I think Nikon has the technically more advanced sensors in the midrange cameras like the D800, but the sensors are not the only important criterion. If for example you'd like to spend around 1300 GBP, you'd be looking at Canon 6D and Nikon D610. There, the D610 offers more top end features than the 6D, so in this price segment, the Nikon would be my personal choice. If I wanted to spend 500 GBP, you might opt for the technically more advanced sensor, but maybe you like the image processor of the Canon better, because the processor and software are also an important in what the images look like.

I've been saying the above not to give an exhaustive overview of features to consider, but to point out that the question you asked cannot be answered in a general way. You always have to consider what you want to do, and then find the right camera for that purpose.

As for what others above said about improving technique, I think most of us have to humbly concede, we all need to try and improve out technique, giving more thought to composition and settings. But OTOH, if someone asks about cameras, why not reply to the question instead of lecturing - after all, the person asking may be very aware of that aspect and ask the question regarding the camera for a good reason.

Unless a new camera will do something your current one can't, why change, especially switching systems. There's very little to choose between the big names (any particular reason you didn't mention Pentax?), all will deliver great images. It's the 12" or so behind the camera that makes the difference rather than the bits anyone can walk out of a shop with!

Which is better?
Canon or Nikon?

I currently have a canon 500d and looking to upgrade but if i do i would like to know which to upgrade to and whether to switch to nikon?

Thanks

Best advice would be to go and hold a few of the bodies you are thinking of upgrading to - you need to decide what you want your new body to do your current one doesn't, what size of body you want (the 7D for example is a bigger body than the 500D) and what your budget is...

Just to add a few more options, if you are thing of switching, what about Sony or Pentaax ? These offer IS inside the camera body, rather than in the lens as Canon and Nikon do...

At the end of the day, it's your choice, your money and as has been said, people will always recommend what they use and are happy with...

It's a good thing to check before you dedicate to one setup, especially if funds are limited. Personally I've never used Nikon, other than trying the feel to see which I preferred back in the days of the 300D. For me I preferred the layout of the Canon over Nikon back then, and the feel with a grip is absolutely perfect for my hands. Personally I'd say make this your priority if you plan on using it a lot. If you're happy with the feel then don't bother upgrading the camera until you feel it limits you, creatively.

The best thing to do is invest in decent lenses so you don't buy twice as that's just throwing money away due to the resale value of cheaper lenses being very low (I speak from experience, sadly!) and there are several very good lenses that don't break the bank for Canon. Nifty fifty, the 85 1.8, etc and there's the 70-200 F4L that's extremely good value for money. There is also the crop lens in the Tamron 17-50 or the Canon 17-55 that I see people talking about positively.

After a while the main thing I found irritating was having to dip in and out of menus, which led me to upgrade to the 30D from the 300D, then to the 60D and eventually the 5Dmk3.

At the end of the day it'll save you money if you just concentrate on lenses for now until you're unhappy and KNOW the camera is the limitation.

Back